Topic:   SC3D   (Read 25589 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: SC3D
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
Im underwhelmed.

Why push SC when you can actually make something worthwhile with a more powerful language.
people always say things like this like its easy to just pick up C and make stuff, its much more complicated and time consuming to learn, sc is so easy to work with,

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 12:23:38 PM »
Im underwhelmed.

Why push SC when you can actually make something worthwhile with a more powerful language.

What's wrong with challenging myself to make something relatively advanced in a very simple language?

alias

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
people always say things like this like its easy to just pick up C and make stuff, its much more complicated and time consuming to learn, sc is so easy to work with,

Im well aware im doing a unit in C at uni, i have a test a 2 weeks.

Theres nothing wrong with it, it just seems like an underkill. Anyways are you using a raytracing engine? If so I imagine I might be able to do something similiar, (albeit much slower) in GM.

Also it isnt a "advanced" as you think it is. However as you said it is relatively compared to what else has been done in sc/gm.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:03:27 PM by alias »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 08:07:30 PM »
Anyways are you using a raytracing engine? If so I imagine I might be able to do something similiar, (albeit much slower) in GM.
Now that I'd like to see! :D

Also it isnt a "advanced" as you think it is. However as you said it is relatively compared to what else has been done in sc/gm.
I'm sure Mozart would say the same about the Zorba, but it's still damn hard to play.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:09:41 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

alias

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
I'm sure Mozart would say the same about the Zorba, but it's still damn hard to play.

Not if your good at piano, which metaphorically WarHampster is.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 08:23:18 PM »
Essentially that's my point. ;D This is probably the most advanced thing Hammy's made yet.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »
Theres nothing wrong with it, it just seems like an underkill. Anyways are you using a raytracing engine? If so I imagine I might be able to do something similiar, (albeit much slower) in GM.

It's a raycasting heightmap engine, AKA a voxel engine. I know nothing about GM but if a 2d tile based affair lags as much as Silver's newest RPG engine does, I doubt that this would be possible in it.

I'm very sorry, my next release will be written entirely in c++ and will feature bumpmapping, speculars, and shaders.  ::)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »
Hey Hammy, if you get a chance could you post a screencast of the RSRPGE so I can see how laggy it is? It's laggy for me when it loads the attack icon sprites for the first time, but it's not too bad for the most part.

alias

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »

It's a raycasting heightmap engine, AKA a voxel engine. I know nothing about GM but if a 2d tile based affair lags as much as Silver's newest RPG engine does, I doubt that this would be possible in it.

I'm very sorry, my next release will be written entirely in c++ and will feature bumpmapping, speculars, and shaders.  ::)

Now THATS something to look forward too  ;D

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 07:13:35 PM »
That went over my head. :) What's raycasting?

-Gan
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:14:56 PM by Gandolf »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 08:10:02 PM »
Furthermore who is Zorba? Isn't that the villain from ThunderCats?
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 08:39:12 PM »
That went over my head. :) What's raycasting?

-Gan
It's a system for handling 3D by simulating the path light takes to the eye.  I think.   :P

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 10:49:36 PM »
Pretty much... In terms of 3d graphics raycasting just refers to drawing rays from a viewpoint at regular intervals onto a 2d grid to check for collisions with objects. Classic examples of games that used raycasting engines are Doom and Marathon. Obviously this engine is a lot more complicated than that, but that's the basic idea.

alias

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 02:50:12 AM »
Pretty much... In terms of 3d graphics raycasting just refers to drawing rays from a viewpoint at regular intervals onto a 2d grid to check for collisions with objects. Classic examples of games that used raycasting engines are Doom and Marathon. Obviously this engine is a lot more complicated than that, but that's the basic idea.

Spot on. Raytracing is also one of the easier engines to code (albeit pretty damn hard). An actual vertex oriented pixel shader engine in SC would be pretty awesome.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
Can you direct me to a book that would help me build a solid foundation in 3d math and programming? Preferably something that doesn't assume I've already mastered 3d geometry and calculus. I want to move on and would like to have a textbook to refer to rather than sifting through online articles. Amazon returned lots of choices for me but I'd like the opinion of someone who's doing this stuff in school.