Topic:   iPad, iPhone OS 4.0, ect...   (Read 32074 times)

airbag

• GMG Newbie

• enjoy the silence
Re: iPad, iPhone OS 4.0, ect...
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »
Who watches Spongebob anymore...?

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2010, 05:09:38 PM »
Not supporting Java or Flash is just a terrible mistake more than anything.

It's actually a smart business move... if Flash was supported then people could play Flash games for free instead of buying their equivalents on the app store.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »
You have a problem with Spongebob!? :O

-Gan
P.S. Pfft, replaceable batteries. One minor missing feature and suddenly the whole cake is ruined.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:16:04 PM by Gandolf »

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »
I'll keep this short and sweet: Spongebob rawcks.

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2010, 07:13:41 PM »
Lol !
You had a war about Apple and now you're on the verge of having a war about *Sponge Bob*.

[EDIT] Turned bits of this into a QotM candidate.
http://www.gamemakersgarage.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=QotM;action=display;num=1270122513;start=15#27
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:15:26 PM by GabrielCA »
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2010, 08:20:39 PM »
It's impossible to port Flash to a touch screen device. Without the presence of a curser the mouseover/mouseout commands used in like, 90% of all Flash apps are totally useless. Most professional web developers dislike Flash in the first place, advocating HTML5 and CSS3.

Furthermore all the big names in the web world are redesigning their sites specifically to work on the iPhone. Apple have influenced a new generation with the iPhone; it hasn't moved with the world, it's moved the world.

Oh, and which episode Gan? The Strangler one is my favourite! ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:23:59 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 08:50:32 PM »
Furthermore all the big names in the web world are redesigning their sites specifically to work on the iPhone. Apple have influenced a new generation with the iPhone; it hasn't moved with the world, it's moved the world.
Silver would know, he's one of them.

Oh, and which episode Gan? The Strangler one is my favourite! ;D
That was a good episode. :) I was speaking of the one where Squid refuses to eat the patty claiming it to be horrible even though he later finds that it's delicious.

-Gan
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:51:01 PM by Gandolf »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2010, 09:20:46 PM »

That was a good episode. :) I was speaking of the one where Squid refuses to eat the patty claiming it to be horrible even though he later finds that it's delicious.

-Gan

But it goes straight to your thighs!
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2010, 05:53:30 AM »

But it goes straight to your thighs!
LOL! ;D

airbag

• GMG Newbie

• enjoy the silence
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Which new generation? Pretty much every phone around these days can browse the web with pretty good compatibility and speed. We've been able to do that for years. Nobody had to redesign sites, they just did smaller versions of sites, for example m.google.com. That is fine. Suddenly, all the major websites have to start making iPhone compatible versions of their websites because the normal mobile versions aren't good enough for the iPhone? Why can't it just view the normal version of the website? Let me see... is it because the iPhone can't handle the full, unadulterated web? Can it even download zip/mp3/video files and save them in a folder?

This is where the confusion lies - there's a revolution and then there's popularity.  The iPhone is a popular product, but it's by no means revolutionary. The iPhone/Pad/Pod may well be a cell phone, an internet communications device and an iPod - if that's three things in one that make a product revolutionary then you'd better brace yourself for what my Intel Mac can do!

It's a jukebox, a games console, a word processor, it's the Swiss army knife of computer communications, I can make calls, it has a keyboard that has this neat technology called 'buttons', it's a personal cinema, a clock, a calculator, an accountant, a paperweight... and I can develop and release as much software as I want for it without having to hand over any more cash other than what I paid for it. Isn't that neat?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:17:32 PM by airbag »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2010, 04:32:32 PM »
Let me see... is it because the iPhone can't handle the full, unadulterated web? Can it even download zip/mp3/video files and save them in a folder?

The whole point of the iPhone browser is that it can handle the full web - at least the web as defined by HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. You can load any page with these things and it will work fine. Most other phones before the iPhone could not do this at all, and even the ones with a full browser handled things far less elegantly than the iPhone.

You can't load ZIP files. You can load MP3s and some videos, but you can't save them. I have personally loaded MP3s off of random websites whenever I wanted to hear a full preview of a song. If I like the whole song then I'd buy it from the iTunes app (but not if it's $1.29. those are rip-off prices.)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »
This is where the confusion lies - there's a revolution and then there's popularity. The iPhone is a popular product, but it's by no means revolutionary.
O.M.G. Seriously, this is beyond silly now! You're like one of those tech people who go around challenging the statistics of things despite the contrary opinion of the entire world.

"The iPhone's screen is too small to efficiently read e-books on", whilst several million people are happily reading e-books on their iPhones.

"The iPhone's lack off Flash will dramatically reduce web usage", whilst practically everyone in possession of an iPhone is surfing the web at several hundred times the rate prior to owning the device.

"Incurring a fee for the developer license will turn too many developers away for the App Store to be a success", whilst developers flock to the iPhone at a rate higher than any existing platform in history.

The iPhone/Pad/Pod may well be a cell phone, an internet communications device and an iPod - if that's three things in one that make a product revolutionary then you'd better brace yourself for what my Intel Mac can do!

It's a jukebox, a games console, a word processor, it's the Swiss army knife of computer communications, I can make calls, it has a keyboard that has this neat technology called 'buttons', it's a personal cinema, a clock, a calculator, an accountant, a paperweight... and I can develop and release as much software as I want for it without having to hand over any more cash other than what I paid for it. Isn't that neat?
And yet your laptop neither resides in the pockets of over 50 million people, is the topic of the century or won awards for being the "Innovation of the Year", "Most Stylish Technology of the Year", "Best Mobile Phone of the Year" or "Gadget of the Year".

You're missing a blindingly obvious revolution Air. I'm finished with this discussion.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:51:54 PM by Silverwind »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2010, 05:05:14 PM »
The iPhone, iPad, and iPod are different products. The iPhone can handle zip and many other formats because... there's an app for that.
The main point of the iPhone is that it can do everything the average user wants yet fits in the hand. It's much easier to carry my iPhone around then my iMac.

Seriously you need to try, I mean use for a week  then you can hate.

-Gan
P.S. From my iPhone.
I would make a longer post but in the middle of a track meet. So much better than lugging a computer.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:08:37 PM by Gandolf »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2010, 12:59:34 PM »
Well said Silverwind-san.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »
Domo arigatou gozaimasu, TD-kohai. *bows*
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:10:26 PM by Silverwind »