Topic:   WarHampster's Game   (Read 29254 times)

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
Re: WarHampster's Game
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »
Simple. If you are standing infront of a gun, you will die. If you are far away from the gun and it hits you, you will die.
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2008, 05:44:11 PM »
how can it hit me with long range when im right in its face smashing space bar
Umm... it walks away from your melee attack and shoots you?

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2008, 08:15:17 AM »
when it walks away you can just follow it, it would never get a chance to use long range attack, how can you not think of this? your gonna have to add a delay when you use an attack

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2008, 10:01:08 AM »
how can it hit me with long range when im right in its face smashing space bar

LOL

WH I am SO looking forward to seeing this game. Its sounding better and better.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:01:40 AM by Swampthing »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2008, 10:38:33 AM »
when it walks away you can just follow it, it would never get a chance to use long range attack, how can you not think of this? your gonna have to add a delay when you use an attack
Before you start bashing my game, please actually read all of my posts describing it... I think that you'll find the answers to all of your questions.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:38:50 AM by WarHampster »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2008, 11:19:53 AM »
I don't think Warhampster and EQ like each other
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
no, its just annoying when people pose as programmers when they havent done anything, i hope he actually releases something but he's already used every noob quote in the book so ...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:50:45 PM by EqwanoX »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2008, 01:02:55 PM »
Good god... if I never release anything, then you can call me whatever you want, but as I posted screenshots (check the contest thread), and a very detailed description of my battle engine, one would hope that you would be patient and understand that it's impossible to magically complete a game in a short amount of time... just because I'm not finished with my battle engine yet doesn't mean that I'm not working on it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:07:11 PM by WarHampster »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2008, 03:33:59 PM »
I don't think Warhampster and EQ like each other
Yeah...  seeing as how my minute steaks turned crispy all too fast, that seems like a valid conclusion.

no, its just annoying when people pose as programmers when they havent done anything, i hope he actually releases something but he's already used every noob quote in the book so ...
First thing is to never assume, because when you break that word down... This happens:
It makes a "Butt" out of "U" and "Me". Just stick all the words in "" together and replace "Butt" with the more vulgar version and you will understand what I mean.

Deux, where's this book? Seriously, I would love to get my older brother this for Christmas. He's one of those guys into those Wow/Mom online games.

Good god... if I never release anything, then you can call me whatever you want, but as I posted screenshots (check the contest thread), and a very detailed description of my battle engine, one would hope that you would be patient and understand that it's impossible to magically complete a game in a short amount of time... just because I'm not finished with my battle engine yet doesn't mean that I'm not working on it.
Whoa, gotta check those screen shots...

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »
Just posting a small update to let people know that I'm still working on this.

I've got seven out of the eight character sprites finished, but have gotten to the point where SC is working against me. The AI can choose a destination (which can easily be changed to be influenced by factors such as the player's position, the AI's health, cover on the map, ect), and then figure out the best way to get to that destination. The hard part is making the AI break it's movement down to fit it into it's movement restriction per turn, and then choose the tile that it will move to for each of it's movements (taking obstacles into account, and re-forming its "best way to destination path" if necessary).

I haven't been able to work on the code for a while due to school work/ christmas stuff, but hopefully I'll be able to get some more work done soon.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »
ai is why tactical gameplay is so hard to do. i dont understand what your syaing, you want the enemy to be able to walk around obstacles?

oh, first of all, have it move one tile at a time. for obstacles, try useing a for loop to check all directions and find a tile that inst an obstacle

you might want to think about cutting back these features a little to something more reasonable so that you finish something, cause whats the point of doing all that work and then never releasing it
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:05:40 PM by EqwanoX »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2009, 12:21:12 PM »
just trying to be a voice of reason

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »
Do everything One tile at a time, like make his move 3 tiles, but each tile he moves the AI re assesses the area. for the next tile. Sounds like it would work, but I don't know SC
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »
Moving one tile at a time is fine for a random or player following AI, but I need my AI to follow a set path that it had thought of earlier, and that path needs to change based on things that will be explained below.

Here's a breakdown of how my AI is supposed to work:

AI decides upon destination.

AI runs a function that changes the values of an array based on what directions it is able to move in. (EX - if the AI is able to move up and down, the the array would equal 1,1,l,r, and if it could move left and down and right then it would equal u,1,1,1)

AI checks what it's ideal movement is (AKA what movement would get it to it's destination the fastest)

SMART AI STUFF HERE

EX.

1 - wall

2 - the AI

3 - the player

If the AI's destination is the player, and it just checks if it can move in the direction of it's destination and then moves there, the AI will walk into the dead end and look stupid. The SMART AI STUFF HERE would fix this problem, and it is that that I am having trouble coding.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 01:57:33 PM by WarHampster »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2009, 11:22:29 AM »
dont forget about the rest of the game, you should make a simple ai for the meantime and make the engine