Topic:   Quest of Magic Progress   (Read 43947 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Quest of Magic Progress
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2008, 06:41:15 AM »
I've just noticed that the update I released that was supposed to fix the Bracer of Vampirism battle alerts still has a glitch in it. Now it alerts that you "failed to vampirize any HP" even when you don't have the bracer! ::) It's fixed for the update though.

btw, did anyone find the Svirfneblin or the Rare Item Collector?
I survived the spammage of 2007

alias

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2008, 07:24:11 AM »
I found Svirfneblin but not the rare item collector, whereabouts would i find him? :)

I passed the game in one evening, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, but felt the story was slightly lacking. Calls for a sequel with a more in depth story! And more free roaming!

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2008, 09:25:24 AM »
btw, did anyone find the Svirfneblin or the Rare Item Collector?
I bet I didn't find either the only person I found was the super item seller.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2008, 10:08:52 AM »
I found Svirfneblin but not the rare item collector, whereabouts would i find him? :)
Ah, the rare item collector appears but once per game on the Cleric's card. He could appear at any time as you resurface. (though usually you'll have to have resurfaced at least a dozen times or so)

I passed the game in one evening, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, but felt the story was slightly lacking. Calls for a sequel with a more in depth story! And more free roaming!
I second the notion for more free roaming! While I might not make a direct sequel, I may use the same region again. All my games take place in the world of Givaré, but in different realms. I'll have to draw a map someday. (when I've released a few more games, hehe...)

I bet I didn't find either the only person I found was the super item seller.
Aha, that sounds like the Svirfneblin indeed. :)

I'm adding a few snippets here and there as I fix glitches and implement suggestions. There's gonna be 3 new enemies that aren't like the others. (no elaboration. You'll find out when I release the next beta. ::) ) The only problem is that I really don't have any space left. I've had to wipe clean all of the template storage and sandbox cards. Hopefully I'll have just enough room to squeeze in a little extra code for the new features.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:13:58 AM by Silverwind »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2008, 10:35:39 AM »
yea i saw the rare item collector, hes a dwarf. i also found a chest in the town once.

i thought the map design was good, and haveing the enemies on screen and moveing towards you is a great feature  

-ok i figured it out, exp given never increases but the required exp does, why?! i dont understand what gandolf is saying cause you cant be a level ahead, the game is really linear, you can only level up once per cave. once you level up you only get 15exp from enemies instead of 100

-one small thing, when i go to the menu i sometimes click use potion instead of back, could you line up the back and menu buttons?  

-how the hell is the app 16 megs when the sprites are seperate?!  

-i meant i need to buy potions, its just a good thing to fall back on.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2008, 11:21:09 AM »
yea i saw the rare item collector, hes a dwarf. i also found a chest in the town once.
A Gnome actually. And as for the chest... ::) *whistles*

i thought the map design was good, and haveing the enemies on screen and moveing towards you is a great feature
Ah, glad you think so! :) For future games do you think it would be better to have it turn based, so that enemies only move when the player moves? Or is the Real Time engine better?

-ok i figured it out, exp given never increases but the required exp does, why?! i dont understand what gandolf is saying cause you cant be a level ahead, the game is really linear, you can only level up once per cave. once you level up you only get 15exp from enemies instead of 100
It's balanced so that you need to slay 7 monsters of your level to lvl up at level 1, then 9 at level 2, 11 at 3 and so on.

-one small thing, when i go to the menu i sometimes click use potion instead of back, could you line up the back and menu buttons?
Yup, that's an easy one.

-how the hell is the app 16 megs when the sprites are seperate?!
About 60 full size picture boxes are used for cinematics. ;D In future I'll use quicktime movies, but I find it easier to develop in GM.

-i meant i need to buy potions, its just a good thing to fall back on.
Oh. Well, I'll make them slightly more common and place a few in treasure chests, but I don't think I'll make a shop for them. Perhaps a trader will occasionally appear with a low stock or something. (if I have enough space)

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2008, 12:18:51 PM »
Its Done? Done? WHOOOOOO! Great, been looking forward to this for a while! Must download and play, also sorry if I have been away for a while, not posting, I've still been reading, check out Off Topic for the full story.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »
Great to see you back Swamp. :) There's already been quite a few glitches reported in the current beta, but I'll release an update soon.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »
The ability ideas for two of the three new enemies I said I was making have been given to existing enemies. Healers and Thieves. (in-battle abilities) The third enemy is different again to them, but you'll see what I mean in a day or so. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:45:52 PM by Silverwind »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2008, 10:52:27 PM »
The ability ideas for two of the three new enemies I said I was making have been given to existing enemies. Healers and Thieves. (in-battle abilities) The third enemy is different again to them, but you'll see what I mean in a day or so. ;)
Are you adding more enemies?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:53:02 PM by Tireas_Dragon »
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2008, 03:14:30 AM »
Yeah, 1 more. I was gonna add 3, but I've given the abilities I had in mind for them to existing enemies instead. Rather than reprogram a few dungeons.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2008, 07:26:21 AM »
Earlier in a response to Eq's question on EXP progression I said that the system was balanced so that the player needed to kill 7 monsters to level up at level 1, but I was wrong. You need to kill 10 to level up at level 1, 12 at 2, 14 at 3 and so on.

Sorry for misleading you.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:53 AM »
 are you gonna change that? in the later levels you have to kill so many enemies to level up and you have to level up before you goto the next dungeon if you want any chance of survival. its frustrating and i think it would turn off alot of people from ever finishing it. i think the level up exp limit should just stay at 1000 the whole game but if you have to increase it can you just increase it by 50 at each level up. iether that or add purchasable potions for cheap, that would add alot to gameplay otherwise its impossable not to die when you venture into a new dungeon without leveling up

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2008, 10:48:15 AM »
Actually I kinda like the way it currently works. You got to be as strong as they are if you want to stand a chance against them and you have to get good items to beat them.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »
An attack takes approximately 1 second to preform, and an enemy should take 5 to 6 attacks on average to defeat. Enemies spawn on the overworld every 3.5 seconds on average, and it only takes around 15 seconds of walking back and forth to fully restore your health. Less if you have a Ring of Lesser Healing, and considerably less if you have a Ring of Greater Healing.

So, it really shouldn't take that long to level up. Granted time will be spent doing miscellaneous things, such as traveling back and forth from shops, visiting the cleric to heal or save and searching for secret chambers in dungeons, but overall the entire game is easily winnable in less than an hour and a half. Woodhaven just finished testing the update a minute ago, he completed it in an hour and 5 minutes. (though admittedly he's an RPG veteran)

However since you feel quite strongly about this Eq, I'll ask everyone else to give their opinions as well, as I agree that turning people off from playing the game is something to be avoided. It's a risky business messing around with the gold and EXP systems though, and I don't want to attempt either without absolute need.

Again, thanks for your feedback guys. Opinions and suggestions like these really help me make the game better. :)