Topic:   Quest of Magic Progress   (Read 43948 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Quest of Magic Progress
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
I decompressed it using Stuffit, but it then couldn't find the original file Alias.
The app the alias is looking for is in the Resources folder. I'm not sure why the alias breaks each time it's sent over the internet, but it seems unfixable. Anyway, just type Q in the Resources folder and you should be able to locate the app. :)

you should use mediafire, we dont have to wait 45 seconds
I did use Mediafire: link removed
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 01:21:46 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »
I've fixed a bug involving incorrect alerts if the player has a Bracer of Vampirism. Here's the updated link: http://www.mediafire.com/?mxbcmbvxogu

The update also slightly increase the amount of HP gained from leveling up.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »
Hey, I was battling Orcs to get higher levels, and I ran into a little bug.

I saw a women in a red dress, so I decided to check it out. She attacked me, and turned out to be a Orc in disguise. The Orc was badly injured, as the hp says. One hit finished him off. It was easy xp and gold. So this continued for a few more battles, than a speech error occured and it stopped. Went back to normal.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2008, 03:57:17 PM »
Ah, thanks for reporting that Gan, I thought I fixed all those. When I was changing the spawn rate of NPCs on a few cards I accidentally changed the variable that governs the variety of NPCs that might spawn on the card. In your case the women in red was the last NPC2 sprite you encountered and therefor she was the sprite spawned because the variable NPC2type equalled over the amount of varieties that could appear on that card. She'd have the same stats as the last monster you battled, meaning she probably had less than 0 HP if you'd defeated the last monster. Do you happen to know what room you encountered the glitch in? Probably a room with a ladder, right?

Also: Woh, that's an impressive sized monitor!

EDIT:

I've fixed the glitch for the update. It was in the first room of the Orc dungeon wasn't it?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 04:09:00 PM by Silverwind »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2008, 04:08:20 PM »
Yes, it was in the Orc region with the ladder.

Also, I'm pulling my hair over this, but I can't figure it out.

G  ot  t  n te  ere
o  s u h  o fi d  h  s c  t.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »
Aha! You're making great progress I see! :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 04:12:36 PM by Silverwind »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »
yea that happened for me too

really good game, i played through it twice

few thoughts:
-theres no point for the menu except to pause the game, you can just have all stats in text field with the use potion button in the nav to make it easier for the player
-i need to see potions in battle, iether that or have it tell me i dont have any when i select it cause it uses my turn
-hard enemies give the same amount of gold and exp as weak enemies of the same level, harder enemies should give more
-you should use spacebar to examine, you could have it use the pushbutton command to push the examine button. also if you could use space to push ok at the end of a battle would be even better cause then i wouldnt have to constantly move back and forth from the mouse
- i need potions. if your worried about the player stocking up on them just add a limit
-notealert what i get from chests, sometimes the emenies will talk right when i get something and i dont know what it is
 -why do the female dwarfs have beards?
 -what are the stat differences between races?
 -the exp requirement is way to high! and you HAVE to level up before going to the next cave, so sometimes i'll be ready to go to the next cave but i still need 900exp to level up, Ā thats a tacky way of extending gameplay. it slows things down to much, it needs to be lowered at least by 500
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 04:14:02 PM by EqwanoX »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »
I agree with most of what Eq says, except for the exp thought. I have had no problem with exp, I'm actually levels over the average level. Though, I'm still stuck in the Drow region. Grr....

When you stick both messages together you get:

Go South note fid here sct.

Are they suppost to be put together?

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 04:22:42 PM by Gandolf »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2008, 04:34:08 PM »
I GOT IT! I'm not going to tell anyone, but SilverWind, you're a genious.

Now, i just have to do what it says.

-Gandolf

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »
This is either a bug or a secret passage.

-Gandolf

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »
Just finished the game. It was great, 9.9999999999999/10. There was only one thing about it I didn't like.

I was kinda hoping the last boss would be harder. Too easy, my Hp was at 36 when I beat him. Also, when I traveled back to the surface, I was hoping some last bad guy would get really desperate and create a huge boss battle with a great ending. The ending just seemed too mellow, and just ended quickly, not very dramatic.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »
Thanks for the excellent feedback guys, I'm really glad to hear your thoughts! :)

few thoughts:
-theres no point for the menu except to pause the game, you can just have all stats in text field with the use potion button in the nav to make it easier for the player
The stats would frequently get wiped from the screen though due to Examine information and enemy speeches. Besides, being able to pause the game is a handy feature.

-i need to see potions in battle, iether that or have it tell me i dont have any when i select it cause it uses my turn
I'll set it so that it doesn't use up your turn if you don't have any potions. I meant to do that awhile ago but it's actually a more messy job than you'd think due to the way battle alerts are formatted.

-hard enemies give the same amount of gold and exp as weak enemies of the same level, harder enemies should give more
They most certainly do not give the same amount of gold. The gold progression rate has undergone more balancing than any other aspect of the game. I can't change it without messing up the game's difficulty considerably, and it's finally ok the way it is now anyway.

As for the EXP system, you should get 100 EXP for slaying a monster of your level, and not even a fifth for anything less than that. (as you're usually able to slay weaker things in a mere two attacks or so on average)

-you should use spacebar to examine, you could have it use the pushbutton command to push the examine button.
GM doesn't have a pushbutton command, and with card scripts averaging at 440 lines there's just not enough room to fit the Examine code into them. I know alternating between the mouse and the keyboard is annoying, but I don't see it as something I can change in this game.

also if you could use space to push ok at the end of a battle would be even better
I think I could do this one. What if when attacking the player presses spacebar twice by mistake though, making him miss the battle reward data?

- i need potions. if your worried about the player stocking up on them just add a limit
What do you mean? Should they be more frequent?

-notealert what i get from chests, sometimes the emenies will talk right when i get something and i dont know what it is
I guess I could go back to alerts, but I'm not sure. I was worried about that very problem earlier on, thinking that the player wouldn't know what keys he'd picked up, but I prefer the system to alerts, and it's rare that an enemy speaks right as you examine a chest. Besides, you generally know roundabouts how much gold chests contain on each level after finding one or two.

-why do the female dwarfs have beards?
There aren't any female Dwarves, for the reason that when drawing the sprites I found it hard to distinguish Dwarves without beards and yet hard to distinguish females with them! ;D

-what are the stat differences between races?
None. I wanted to add a few differences to help improve replay value, but the problem is that there aren't much stats to play around with in QoM. There are no player attributes, for example.

-the exp requirement is way to high! and you HAVE to level up before going to the next cave, so sometimes i'll be ready to go to the next cave but i still need 900exp to level up,  thats a tacky way of extending gameplay. it slows things down to much, it needs to be lowered at least by 500
Hmmm... rearranging that would require me to change the gold progression rate, (which I'm really reluctant to do for any reason) but I also think the current EXP progression rate is about right. Both my beta testers utterly destroyed the system, (Sora jumped straight from no armor to the Imp dungeon equivalent!) and it's actually easier than the original system.

I was kinda hoping the last boss would be harder. Too easy, my Hp was at 36 when I beat him.
Wow, you must have had the Vorpal Sword and Aegis Robe right? And possibly a powerful trinket?

Also, when I traveled back to the surface, I was hoping some last bad guy would get really desperate and create a huge boss battle with a great ending. The ending just seemed too mellow, and just ended quickly, not very dramatic.
Yeah, I think the ending needs to be more cinematically dramatic as well. I'll see what I can do.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2008, 06:39:30 PM »
This is either a bug or a secret passage.

-Gandolf
That's a glitch, hehe...

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
Well once I used stuffit expander rather than the usual OSX unsitter it worked and made a great game. Just a few things:
Like EQ said boss was too easy
Why is it called quest of magic if their is no magic? Why not quest for the Artifact?
And why would the cards take 400 LOC each? In labyrinth all my cards take 100 - 200, Including battle cards.
And well I noticed no bugs.
P.S. I wonder how many secrets I missed.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2008, 04:59:17 AM »
Like EQ said boss was too easy
What equipment did you have? And what level were you on? I've no problem making it harder, but I need a rough idea of how strong you were.

Why is it called quest of magic if their is no magic? Why not quest for the Artifact?
Well for one, there is magic in the game, the player just can't cast any. There's frequent references to it, such as "I hope those creatures from the Underdark don't attack us next. If they could overcome the powerful magic of the Elves, what chance would we have of fending them off?" "A magic barrier prevents you from crossing the bridge." "You sense a faint magical aura radiating from these tiles. Whatever powers are at work here, they seem inactive." "The artifact's power is interfering with the magic of the teleporter." and so on and so forth.

As for how I came to choose Quest of Magic, I was trying to come up with a really simple generic name, as I love those. Quest of Magic was the best of three names I had thought of, and I hadn't even started on story design or ideas when I chose it. I'm thinking of calling my next game Adventures.

And why would the cards take 400 LOC each? In labyrinth all my cards take 100 - 200, Including battle cards.
That's because you're using the Keydown Carry idea, which was only proposed late into QoM's development. There's also the NPC 1 and 2 routines as well as the speech routines, taking up massive amounts of space between them.

P.S. I wonder how many secrets I missed.
So do I. :) How many secret rooms do you reckon you found?