Topic:   Supa Pong   (Read 18660 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Supa Pong
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:07:01 AM »
Here's my GMG contest entry: http://www.mediafire.com/?4grqkj7xt8f

Well, at long last it's finished. Overall I'm quite pleased with the music, (which consumed most of my time) though there's one or two tracks that I'd like to improve in 1.0.1. There's a total of 8 catchy tracks, which is a great accomplishment for me. :D Please check out the readme for controls.

As always, enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:57:26 AM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Supa Pong
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:38:02 AM »
OH NO! There's some kind of horrible glitch that's never occurred before, even though I've been testing the compiled app all morning! The sprites are somehow pasting themselves flat on the canvas everytime they move! And the ball sprite doesn't load at all!

I can't understand why this is happening, or why it only started after I uploaded it on the internet, but I'll get right on fixing it. :-/

EDIT:

Solved it! Either Stuffit or Mediafire mustn't have liked the Ball.gif file, because it didn't include it in the package. I'm still not sure why not having the ball sprite would cause such eradicate behavior in GM, but I've just tested it now and it does. I'll reupload it and make sure the .gif file is included this time...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:46:26 AM by Silverwind »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:19:49 AM »
This sounds amazing. :)

Though, I'm on a pc. Won't be able to test it out till 7-8 hours from now.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:21:24 AM »
Ok, sorry for triple posting, but here's the deal. Stuffit is corrupting the Ball 1.gif file every time I compress it. That is so annoying! >:( I'll try messing with the settings and hope that fixes it. Sorry about this guys. :(

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:14:58 AM »
Well, an hour and a half spent tinkering with both Photoshop and Stuffit and I finally fixed it. I've updated the link.

Enjoy, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:21:13 AM »
I'll check it out...

Mist

EDIT: The Alais doesn't work, looking for the game file

EDIT2: I can't beat the first guy :(
He ketches every return :P

How do you do it?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:26:24 AM by mistron »
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:25:16 AM »
As always the readme includes alias fixing related info. :) It's really annoying that they keep breaking though. :(

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:33:31 AM »
To Mist: Press Spacebar I'm not sure what this does but it seems to help
To Silverwind: I think the alias doesn't work because the alias isn't to the one in the folder it probably to the one in your computer.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »
Yeah, although it sometimes works, but usually not. I had it working earlier today funny enough.

As for spacebar, it affects how many pixels the ball will move up or down the next time you repel it. You need DP (Deflection Points) in order to use it though, and the more you spend the more you'll distort the Y axis of the ball. (your DP is displayed in the title bar of the game window)

You get 4 DP each time you repel the ball, and each level has a different "max DP spend cap". For example, in level 1 you can only spend up to 14 DP worth of deflection at a time, and in level 3 you can spend up to 18. A simple twist to regular Pong to make it more challenging. :)

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »
This game is fun. Are the characters from your previous games? I laughed at the frog. I remember playing the game with that frog. Don't know the other 3 (I only payed stage 1,2,3 and at 4 I wanted to do something else).

The game seems to autosave, really cool.
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »
Thanks Teruri, glad you liked it. :) Yeah, stage 4's opponent is none other than the infamous Roguefrog! ;D I've been drawing him and the character from stage 2 for years. They were originally spin offs of Muppet characters, but due to my art style's continuous development their appearances changed drastically over the years to the point now where some of them hardly resemble their original molds. So now they're characters of my own. There's 2 other characters that usually accompany them in my paper RPGs, but I couldn't include them in Supa Pong because they look way too similar to their muppet counterparts.

EDIT:

Funny enough, stage 4 is the only one with a hidden character in the current version. I intended to include more, but my family and friends who agreed to draw them haven't finished yet, so they'll be included in 1.0.1. My sister drew level 4's alternate character.

Oh yeah, you can play against alternate characters by typing "zzz" on the stage select screen in Freeplay. You'll hear a beep to confirm that you entered the code correctly. Once activated, clicking on a stage will bring you its alternate form. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:33:02 AM by Silverwind »

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 11:45:02 AM »
Can't... Beat... Stage... 5.....

he is hard...

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »
You're doing well to have gotten to stage 5. There's 7 stages of difficulty to accommodate for the skills of the whole world, which means you're pretty high up in the rankings. :)

I've just set the world time record for completing arcade mode with a time of 9 and a half minutes. None of my testers completed it all the way through.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »
I got to the Alien then lost.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »
Wow, nice going! :)