Poll

I'm not sure how to delete this pole.

Ok, cool.
0 (0%)
That's lame.
0 (0%)
Alright, you're kindof stupid.
2 (100%)
I don't care, I'm just here for the free cake.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Topic:   Retro games   (Read 314630 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Retro games
« Reply #315 on: February 13, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
Updated the pathfinding and added items.

ToDo:
• Make the items do stuff
• Draw a GUI that shows ammo and stuff
• Make the player able to shoot
• Add attacking to the Zombies
• Add sounds to actions
• Add zombie-zombie pushing
• When hitting a portal make it do stuff
• Work more on the storyline

I miss anything?

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #316 on: February 13, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
I like all of these ideas. And yeah, sorry about that. He's a guard on a space station, not a soldier on a ship. The airlock thing is a good idea. If there's an evil AI doesn't that mean that any piece of random computer that's hooked up to the core become corrupt and try to kill you? Like for example, guard robots with laser guns or something like that. Also, you have to blow the station up and escape because the Bio-Rocket was so powerful it pushed the station back into earth's gravitational pull and will land and infect the earth if you don't. The demon was an experiment held on board the station to see how grizzly bears would react to zero-gravity, but when the AI got corrupted by a virus sent out by the evil force the experiment went horribly wrong and the bear got mutated. You may need to edit the sprite a little to make it look more like a bear, but that's my best idea about him.

As for the evil guy, He's from an alien planet just out of our solar system. After the people of earth started launching nuclear waste into space because we have no use for it, some landed on his planet, infecting the people. He waged war on the evil humans and uses their own waste against them by shooting a rocket containing the zombie virus thingamabob. It's a video game, right? who says it has to be scientifically accurate?

The mole is a robot created by the AI once corrupted.

Oh crap. I just realized that the AI wants to destroy the ship, right? because it's infected by the virus, right? And the virus was sent by the dark force. But that's a problem, because the evil guy wants the ship to remain intact and infected. So maybe the AI only wants the mole to destroy the electrical parts of the ship.

once again, feel free to point out any plot holes, random mistakes, and things you don't like.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #317 on: February 13, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »
The demon was an experiment held on board the station to see how grizzly bears would react to zero-gravity, but when the AI got corrupted by a virus sent out by the evil force the experiment went horribly wrong and the bear got mutated.
That's awesome. 

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #318 on: February 13, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
I think the guard should end up being a martyr. Like at the very end, he'll do a short monologue, about how he had become infected, and his existence would endanger the human race, and as a final act of valor blow himself up with the space ship.

also, why did the AI go corrupt? I think it should be something funny like Windows shut down on it or got a virus :p
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #319 on: February 13, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »
Bahaha. They should have used the advanced OS X operating system.

I don't like sad endings.  :'(
I say the ending should be a race against the clock. And there should be a girl in there somewhere. Rescues a pretty dame(probably a scientist with the anti-zombie formula) and starts the self destruct sequence and has to race to get to an escape pod.

By the way, on the realistic note, I like it when all loose ends are tied up tight. If it seems more believable, the player will be more enthralled. Entertainment value increases. The player becomes one with the game.

Edit: Perhaps instead of aliens, maybe space pirates?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:13:56 PM by Gan »

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #320 on: February 13, 2012, 06:03:22 PM »
OOoh Space pirates!

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #321 on: February 13, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
Why in God's name would the Space Pirates try to infect everyone? I like the idea of it crashing into Earth though, like the attack was calculated to have it go out of orbit and later infect the humans. And the AI is partly directed by the enemy so yeah it want's to keep the ship intact, while using things like the Mole to stop you and other survivors. The designers of the station were smart enough to limit the computer's control over some things, especially in an emergency, so it can't seem to take direct control of all the doors and things. Most doors are hardwired to a particular setting during the emergency (doesn't have to be mentioned in-game it's just my explanation).
This is great, it's interesting and cool enough and sometimes even humorous.
(The Rule of Cool: The audience's suspension of disbelief is greater if the events are cool enough that it doesn't matter whether they are realistic. Something like that.)

Oh yeah and the Bad Guys' motive could use some work.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:33:43 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #322 on: February 13, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
What do pirates want? Treasure and territory.

Kill off everyone on Earth and there's a whole buncha booty to loot.
Just an idea.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #323 on: February 13, 2012, 08:54:18 PM »
I'm using your GameMaker from the Windows computer in my room.

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #324 on: February 13, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
Traitor! D:<

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »
LOL just wondered what the reaction would be...
It's because A. this way I'm letting people use the mac and B. This is my own computer and it's an old Windows machine so it was only $20 from a friend. Just because he took it to get it wiped and cleaned out a bit. I don't use it for much it's pretty crappy. :P BUT your GM5 still works! That's a complement to your design choice Gan. I can get on from just about anywhere.

Also, guys - check out the new features in the template. Gan added doors, keys and powerups and I made a creepy random walk. If they have no path to you, they randomly walk around, unless you're close - then they walk towards you like in the original and sometimes crowd around doorways you're going for. muahahahaha
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:41:10 PM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #326 on: February 13, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
Sorry Gan but we're adding even more ideas to your list there. ;D

- Control Panels open or close doors or groups of doors remotely, for tactics and for my deadly vacuum puzzles.
 - When they have a line of sight to you some zombies try to zigzag or maybe get behind you, or otherwise avoid shots. Could get tricky with added AI, have some types that jump or lunge occasionally and some that charge at you when they have a path.
 - Add basic code to aim with the mouse. Movement with wasd is the same but the player faces the cursor.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:13:56 AM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Tweaks
« Reply #327 on: February 14, 2012, 09:55:44 AM »
A few things I meant to change:
in On Construction of Charachter class it should initialize "this.rTime = 0", not 30, so they don't all stand there motionless for exactly 30 ticks.
And increase the following distance in the "random walk" to 175 it was a bit too short. Not annoying enough yet.
I'd like to add little details like the time it takes them to react to a path appearing, or a small random chance to deviate from the path for a moment so they aren't just one long stream of zombies. Then again, we may not have to if the zombie-zombie pushing changes that. Finally, if pushing includes the player they will block your path in a horrible and annoying fashion so that change is purely optional.

An idea for the inevitable demon boss battle: at the intro there are some zombies and the monster charges through and kills them to reach you.

You can't get too carried away with AI for zombies... Right? Can you? :o
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:16:28 AM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #328 on: February 14, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »
Actually you CAN go overboard with zombie AI. Zombies are not very smart (hence the want of Braaiins)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #329 on: February 14, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Actually you CAN go overboard with zombie AI. Zombies are not very smart (hence the want of Braaiins)
Ahahahah