Poll

I'm not sure how to delete this pole.

Ok, cool.
0 (0%)
That's lame.
0 (0%)
Alright, you're kindof stupid.
2 (100%)
I don't care, I'm just here for the free cake.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Topic:   Retro games   (Read 313602 times)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
Re: Retro games
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2012, 02:30:15 PM »
LOL futurepad I want one! XD
And cool idea to make the movie. Do it.
EDIT: About the font: Also try applying effects to a text layer to make it more interesting, textures, drop shadow, borders etc. I'm trying to remember just where it was and what works, I no longer have my own copy of PS. :,(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:36:04 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2012, 04:29:42 PM »
This is what I got regarding the Intro Vid.

http://cl.ly/2z2r3c3s0D1P1U3f4323

Runs smooth for me. We can always lower the timer FPS and make it skip every other frame to make it run smoother.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2012, 08:17:19 PM »
i tryed to do it with paint commands cause it only took about 50 lines of code, and we dont have to deal with the 20mb's of frames. i liked that blur effect, but this way its bundled all in one simple app. i also added a fade to black effect, it came out pretty good, it needs an ending though, ill think of something

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »
Nice! I like it!

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »
sorry, I haven't checked this for a while. Wow. Looks like you've made progress. Sweet title screen btw.

Weren't we going to make a boss battle level? The code would be simple enough, just add another type of zombie with way more health. You could go on to make a big hideous mess of green, rotting flesh sprite, maybe make little zombies spawn from it to distract you, and make the portal appear when you kill it.

If you need ideas for levels, I can help, but when it comes to actually making them, it turns out I'm not very good. I made a Pac-Man level, 4 zombies in a middle area, walls forming a maze, power ups in the corners and ammo in every blank space. Sadly, this was too much for SC to handle, so I got an error message.

Also, this game has potential to do great things. With what we have so far, we could expand it into something much greater. A complete single player campaign with a storyline would be cool.

A survival mode, could be made by adding a timer to a level, making ammo/bombs/armor spawn every once and a while, after maybe 10 zombies killed you could get the better gun. Or maybe you just get rid of ammo entirely and give the character a machine gun that overheats if you shoot it too long. Or a store menu, where you spend points you get from killing zombies on upgrades and ammo, and bombs.

While I'm throwing ideas that will probably never happen out here..... ONLINE MULTIPLAYER! CO-OP CAMPAIGN!! MELEE WEAPONS!!! SNIPER RIFLES!!!! MINIGUNS!!!!! PLAYER CLASSES!!!!!! BONUS LEVELS!!!!!!!! EASTER EGGS!!!!!!!!!!! 3D RENDERED CUTSCENES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Please note that the above statements are caused by zoo's overactive imagination, and will never be expected of anyone. He seems to have blown up an impossible/highly unlikely ideas grenade.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:48:39 PM by zoo804 »
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2012, 04:58:26 PM »
Mmmmm, 3D cutscenes. I suppose it'd be possible to take some of Eq's drawings and make a pseudo 2D/3D cutscene. Like the room could be 3D(basically a box,with box like objects-textured with Eq's floor and wall graphics). Powerups, zombies and the main character could be plain 2D textured planes. Could be done using Blender...
I can't guarantee it'd look good but...

Hey Eq if you could send me your PSD files for the wall and ground in your title image, I could attempt to make a 3D look alike in Blender.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
I wish I had blender skillz. I can make a video of a dancing square. That's about it.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #232 on: January 18, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »
theres a new demon enemy that is kind of like a boss, it appears around the 7th or 8th level. i also added secret walls. right now theres 10 levels, i would like to make 15 levels and split it into 3 episodes that the player can select from like the original doom. can you post that pacman level? thats a good idea. theres a limit to the amount of pick-ups you can put on a map. cause it would make the level unbalanced. i would like to tweak it and put it in the game.

hey gan, do you still have the last recent source i posted? you can export the sprite sheet for the raw tiles. the wall texture in the title is a key door with the red colored in gray

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »
Awesome sauce! Gonna try this out...

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »
I deleted it when it didn't work  :-[

I can easily recreate it.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
Here's my 3D try at recreating the level.

http://cl.ly/1P3r2D3U392N1h3E3B0m

It's a bit fast, so I need to slow it down a bit and bump up the FPS to make it smoother.
I also want to add upgrades to the 3D mockup. (Look at the 1st and 2nd second in the video. It switches from orthographic to perspective view. The level sorta pops out at ya when it switches to perspective)

What do you think so far? Worthy enough to make a neat cutscene?

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2012, 11:01:25 AM »
thats awesome! we gotta use this for the ending or something. can you make the key doors look flat instead of blocks?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »
Better?
Orthographic View

Perspective View

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2012, 12:44:22 PM »
thats perfect. maybe i could do a detailed front view of the main character and you can do a dive down view like in the video you posted except after it spins around it then zooms onto the character? then the level starts.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »
do you think it would look better with a light in each room rather than one light shining over the whole level? and maybe have no light in some areas like it was blown out