Topic:   The iPhone Project   (Read 360225 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: The iPhone Project
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 04:53:40 PM »
Hey Gan, what are the pixel dimensions of the iPhone's screen?
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
Hey Gan, what are the pixel dimensions of the iPhone's screen?
480 width X 320 height in landscape mode.

By the way, here is a screencast of the Nav system in a very rudimentary state:
Simple RPG Nav Mockup Video

Also, playing around with the iPhone icon syles:

(Just a test, not actual)

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:10:11 PM by Gandolf »

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
480 width X 320 height in landscape mode.

By the way, here is a screencast of the Nav system in a very rudimentary state:
Simple RPG Nav Mockup Video

Also, playing around with the iPhone icon syles:

(Just a test, not actual)

-Gandolf
Nice, could you send me a snippet of the code? I have always been interested in figuring out Obj-C, and I have never really figured out how Obj-C's syntax worked.

Anyways, I am still working on getting redRasor.com up and running again, however, I am going to be working on a new game aswell

Its an RPG, and this time I plan on actually finishing it.

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 07:31:52 AM »
Nice, could you send me a snippet of the code? I have always been interested in figuring out Obj-C, and I have never really figured out how Obj-C's syntax worked.
Yeah, I'll pm you some code later today. You'll find it quite similar to ActionScript syntax.

Anyways, I am still working on getting redRasor.com up and running again, however, I am going to be working on a new game aswell

Its an RPG, and this time I plan on actually finishing it.

Mist
Sounds great. :)

Now, as for the simple RPG, it's progress will follow a periodic pattern of slow crawl, then sudden leap. The slow crawls will happen across the week days as work clutters my schedule(probably yours too), and the leaps will happen on the weekends where I will probably have endless amounts of free time.
Though to compensate for the slow crawl during the week days, I'll make it an effort to get to bed earlier and wake up 2 hours earlier than I usually do. 3:30 a.m.

-Gandolf
P.S. Do you guys want me to post the Xcode source file for you to download and test in your simulators after each crucial step(Or to study what I have created and how I programmed it)?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 08:49:26 AM »
Now, as for the simple RPG, it's progress will follow a periodic pattern of slow crawl, then sudden leap. The slow crawls will happen across the week days as work clutters my schedule(probably yours too), and the leaps will happen on the weekends where I will probably have endless amounts of free time.
Though to compensate for the slow crawl during the week days, I'll make it an effort to get to bed earlier and wake up 2 hours earlier than I usually do. 3:30 a.m.
Don't pressure yourself to work on it though; that's my consistent mistake with game projects (and as a result I scarcely finish any). Even if it takes ten years to finish the game it'll be a hoot working on it (and an even bigger hoot to update it to the current platform!). Personally I think we'll fly through development, but feeling a need to work rather than a want to work is when things go downhill (for me).

-Gandolf
P.S. Do you guys want me to post the Xcode source file for you to download and test in your simulators after each crucial step(Or to study what I have created and how I programmed it)?
Sure, I'd love to glance at the code before going to bed in the hopes that I'll be brainwashed.

But anyways, this game's gonna be awesome! *explodes*

EDIT:

*implodes*

Hey Gan, can I be credited as Sprite Artist in the first post?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:07:35 AM by Silverwind »

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
Yeah, I'll pm you some code later today. You'll find it quite similar to ActionScript syntax.

Sounds great. :)

-Gandolf
I would just like the code, because I don't have a readily available version of Xcode on a Intel Mac (Damn buying a G5 the Christmas before they announce that they are switching to Intel...)
And dude, don't lose sleep over making this game, no matter how awesome it is, its not worth losing sleep over.
[offtopic]
Once Gorfmasta and I work out the details of the story (He originally made the universe which the game is based off of, "Agenos") I will get started on it. The game will be more "open world" than some other games, however, it will also have a main storyline of quests that you have to do around every few levels that may change the environment or unlock new areas.
Currently I am looking at around 30-40 levels of gameplay, contemplating having the main story end at 30 then letting you explore the rest of the time in dungeons (Mebbie including Something like the Caverns of Time in World of Warcraft where you can go back to past events and beat them at a harder difficulty)
[/offtopic]

Wow, I just realized how completely off topic this entire post was...
Not going to delete it though, because, well, whats the point.

If you are actually interested in just the iPhone Project skip everything from the [offtopic] to the [/offtopic]

Mist
PS. I got a free domain when I switched webhosts, so I also have the domain Agenosworld.com, where, once I get it fixed up, you will be able to see everything about our RPGs based in the world of Agenos.
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 06:49:24 PM »
Don't pressure yourself to work on it though; that's my consistent mistake with game projects (and as a result I scarcely finish any). Even if it takes ten years to finish the game it'll be a hoot working on it (and an even bigger hoot to update it to the current platform!). Personally I think we'll fly through development, but feeling a need to work rather than a want to work is when things go downhill (for me).
Yeah, true. Though at the moment that need to work is very much like the need to test out the brand new mac that's waiting in the corner to be unpacked. It's a thrill mixed with an irresistible pull...
...I walk past it many times a day... I can't help but think of it every waking moment... then finally when I have nothing else to do and no one else is around... I walk up to it... open the door and... grab the ice cream carton to enjoy a blissful 5 minutes of gorging on the couch... ...just to feel guilty for 2 hours later. (Just a random story I heard, goes along well with what I'm feeling, besides the guilt)

Sure, I'd love to glance at the code before going to bed in the hopes that I'll be brainwashed.

But anyways, this game's gonna be awesome! *explodes*
:) The code may burn your eyes a bit, but don't worry; it's very easy to understand and barely complicated. I've commented it a bit to help you guys out, but you may not make any head way in understanding until I make time to clear some junk out and polish a few things. Link is at the bottom of the post.

EDIT:

*implodes*

Hey Gan, can I be credited as Sprite Artist in the first post?
Yeah of course. You did make the whole tile sheet and sprite sheet so I think it'd only be fair to credit you as the Sprite/Tile/Game Artist.

Here is the Simple RPG Xcode source download:
http://web.mac.com/avisaria/SimpleRPG.zip (Only 600kb)

-Gandolf
P.S. I think I'm going to head up and edit the first post with the most recent info.

Also, just noticed Mist's post, EDIT:
I would just like the code, because I don't have a readily available version of Xcode on a Intel Mac
Ahh, bummer. You may not be able to open the Xcode source file on a PPC computer...

PS. I got a free domain when I switched webhosts, so I also have the domain Agenosworld.com, where, once I get it fixed up, you will be able to see everything about our RPGs based in the world of Agenos.
Neat! I'll make sure to keep tabs up on this.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:54:19 PM by Gandolf »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »
How did you make the icon?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »
I found a very amazing site where all you have to do is enter a 57x57 pixel image and it creats the icon for you:
http://www.midnightmobility.com/iphone-icon/

-Gandolf
P.S. Does this look better with or without the glossy glare?
or
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:11:50 PM by Gandolf »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 05:54:19 AM »
Those are nice, but the sprite's kinda stretched. Here's one I just created from scratch:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:15:47 AM by Silverwind »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 06:40:19 AM »
Awesome, thanks.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 06:48:59 AM »
Ah wow, that looks so much better...

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 07:23:32 AM »
Here's the .PSD: http://www.mediafire.com/?txdjyyzwjzy

Now you can all go iPhone app icon nuts! Yippee!

EDIT

I've updated the file. Now it contains a variety of colourful buttons as well as an assortment of optional effects.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:43:40 AM by Silverwind »

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »
How can I help?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 08:31:17 PM »
I hear rumors that you are a professional music designer...
If you wanted, you could create some neat RPG-ish mideval-like music that could loop across the whole game as the player plays.

Though it isn't of dire importance at the moment, there are many other jobs:
- Storyline Creation (Biggy)
- Interface Designer (For me, I use a primitive paint program and start with something rough, usually a box and just add, move things around, test it out)
- Skills of player, magic, weaponry, armoury, ect... (Maybe no magic, may complicate it a bit)
- Monster chart, sprite w/ skills, stats (Monsters are on Silver's sprite sheet)
- Overall stat chart
- World map, very small world, I'm thinking 5-10 maps total.

At the moment, those are all the most important jobs. Though whichever you guys plan on doing, it has to be extremely simple and basic.
My current jobs are programming the game in Xcode and making some interface rough drafts in PaintBrush.

-Gandolf