Topic:   The iPhone Project   (Read 360677 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: The iPhone Project
« Reply #660 on: October 24, 2010, 01:49:35 PM »
That's also another problem, lack of direction and organization.
Heck, I'm still sorta confused on what the storyline is.

I still have the source, a little old and messy. I could post it up for you guys to play with. I have learned tons since I shelved the iRPG.

Of course if ever a revival were to happen we'd need a leader. Not me.
Someone with motivation, direction, organization, determination, and the right attitude. Probably Eq.

-Gan

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #661 on: October 24, 2010, 06:25:58 PM »
Please post the source !
After so much talking about this big project, it would interesting to look at.
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #662 on: October 24, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?ii54dqn7d8ux0fj

49mb of iRPG greatness.
After looking through it I notice that I recoded the iRPG tons. Many different versions. My code is also incredibly messy. If I were to recode it today it'd have 10-20x less code. Plus it'd be incredibly readable.
I learned so much since the iRPG. Without this project I wouldn't be where I am now. I'm glad we decided to do this group project.

-Gan

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #663 on: October 25, 2010, 09:45:02 PM »
That's also another problem, lack of direction and organization.
Heck, I'm still sorta confused on what the storyline is.

I still have the source, a little old and messy. I could post it up for you guys to play with. I have learned tons since I shelved the iRPG.

Of course if ever a revival were to happen we'd need a leader. Not me.
Someone with motivation, direction, organization, determination, and the right attitude. Probably Eq.

-Gan
Me and my buddy from Real Life were actually getting together a pretty solid story. I just never pieced it together completely on the GMG. It's there, just not organized that well.  :P
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #664 on: January 22, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
I'm at a bit of a loss here.

I made an iPhone RPG nav using Cocos2D and Tiled. Both open source and free technologies. They make it super easy and fast.

Here's a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O71gnANZPRE

The only problem is I don't know where to go from here. I don't know if I want to start iRPG up again, maybe port someone else's tile based game to iPhone, or just forget about this and work on something else.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #665 on: January 22, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »
Dude. HackSilver for iPhone. It would be perfect.

EDIT - heh, I'm serious, the game is basically done, and the sword fighting could work really well with touch controls.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:37:27 AM by WarHampster »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #666 on: January 22, 2011, 12:22:45 PM »
bring back irpg! with the world map of moonfable! and the stats and equipment of elements arena! and the sword fighting and ai from hacksilver!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:25:38 PM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #667 on: January 22, 2011, 12:33:49 PM »
I feel your confusion Gan. I really want to make an RPG in JavaScript to include all the features GM can't handle, but every time I start one I only get so far into the engine before my motivation drips away. Why can't I make games anymore?!
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #668 on: January 22, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »
Yeah, it's like a curse. Maybe the lack of limitations has something to do with it.

@Eq, That's a good idea. It'd make for one interesting game.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #670 on: January 22, 2011, 01:56:57 PM »
What sparks my motivation is working with another programmer. There's a sort of a rebound effect.
One programmer adds some code, tells the other programmer to check it out. The other programmer's like, "Hey that's awesome!". He gets all excited and programs in another feature. Then the first programmer sees the feature and is like whoa. He then works on another piece of code. And so it becomes an infinite loop of progress.
That's why I like group projects. Though it isn't much of an actual group project if there's only one programmer.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #671 on: January 22, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »
So there's no one else here who can help program this one? :(

Oh, by the way I was summing up my fav ideas from the story threads. Let me know what I might have left out.

General: (about the whole game)

-Throughout the game the town gets bigger and as a result there are more NPCs, meaning more traders come that you can get stuff from, and local traders may obtain more items than before or become more skilled so basically later on you can find better and better weapons/items.

-Plot elements in the game will all be based on threats to the small developing village.

-Ideas for surrounding areas to explore: forest, swamp, desert wasteland, mountains. Someone had this genius idea that the wasteland is just suddenly there at the edge of the forest where the town is because it's cursed and when you defeat the evil something there a river re-appears not far from town.

Specific: (how the game would progress in steps)

Beginning:Player gets hired with a few other men to help be guards in "Newtown" because it's still vulnerable to attacks by monsters.

-Monsters are spotted out in the woods and you get picked to go out first (after grabbing supplies) because you're the least experienced guard and you gt picked on. You stumble upon the first dungeon by accident (you get stuck and try to find the way out lol) and get a lot of experience if you survive it.

-?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:37:28 PM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #672 on: January 22, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »
. Why can't I make games anymore?!
thats just a phase. also the games your trying to do now are to advanced for gm. gm is too anti-user-friendly for anything moderately advanced and makes designing a game  frustrating. makeing a game needs to be fun and easy. there was no way i was gonna make anything until sc got sprite sheets cause i had to import like 200 individual sprites for stans world 2 and theres no way i was gonna go through that again. i dont know what the learning curve is on java but i say use sc, the coding is the same as gm so you should be able make an easy transition, plus it would be like releaseing the chains with all the user friendly features. the only difference are things like instead of typeing "key down" in gm, in sc you just put the code in a seperate keydown section

also you might have alot going on right now that might be distracting you from being creative

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #673 on: January 22, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »
Oh yeah and that video is cool, Gan. Looks really smooth.
I don't see why not to try this one more time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:46:00 PM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #674 on: January 22, 2011, 03:47:50 PM »
So there's no one else here who can help program this one? :(
gan is the only one here that can program for the iphone. and besides, you need alot more than that, you need to make tile sets for all those areas, and what about icons for items and equipment? maybe they can be displayed as text. then you need level designs and stat tables. you have good ideas, i like how the town accumulates people over time. you should start making the tile sets, theyre easy to do and rewarding and it might get the ball rolling and motivate others to join
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:58:59 PM by EqwanoX »