Topic:   i have upgraded!!   (Read 14622 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

i have upgraded!!
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:32:31 AM »
its always a major step for me when i get a new computer, and in tradition i post about it on GM., i was using a 2ghz dual core iMac with 10.5, I'm now on 10.9 2.5ghz quad core i5 for 700$ off craigslist. part of the reason for upgrading was for 10.9, cause nothing is compatible with 10.5 anymore and then i  find out that 10.9 is FREE!? I'm still living in the 90s where an os update would be like 100-200$ anyway, time to test all my SC games and see how much faster and smoother they run

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: i have upgraded!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:15:37 PM »
Holy crap. Welcome to the future Eq!

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
That's a great deal, and a necessary upgrade.  You wouldn't want to run 10.9 on the old iMac... it might work, but it would be pretty slow.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
That's a great deal, and a necessary upgrade.  You wouldn't want to run 10.9 on the old iMac... it might work, but it would be pretty slow.
I still have my 2 GHz MacBook and 10.9 runs just fine. In fact, I think I recall Gan saying it was supposed to be MORE efficient than the previous OSX.

My current plan: Once I feel I've got enough in savings, I'm gonna do some research and rebuild my desktop computer so I'll have a decent gaming PC, should be pretty cheap if I do it right. I'll probably keep the MacBook for school and for the utility of having a laptop.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:36:56 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
Great plan, Connors.
I have a laptop and a gaming PC, too. I don't have a Mac, currently, though.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »
I still have my 2 GHz MacBook and 10.9 runs just fine. In fact, I think I recall Gan saying it was supposed to be MORE efficient than the previous OSX.
I have 10.9 on my 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook (late 2009), and it hangs for about 1 second every time I open a program.  Based on that, I assumed that older/slower Macs would be a lot worse with 10.9... I guess I overestimated.

I also have an Acer C720 Chromebook.  It's pretty great... once you replace ChromeOS with Linux, it becomes a "real computer".  It's what I use most of the time now, even though the MacBook is still superior to it in various ways.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »
I have a Dell desktop I installed Mac on. Cause Mac is superior to Windows.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »
well the future is boring, theres a six year gap between .5 and .9 and i notice absolutely nothing different... 10.10 is coming out in a couple months but I'm exhausted from all this upgrading, I'm good for another 5 to 8 years.

oh, i noticed none of my games work that were made with sc1.5, so 10.9 sucks.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »
well the future is boring, theres a six year gap between .5 and .9 and i notice absolutely nothing different... 10.10 is coming out in a couple months but I'm exhausted from all this upgrading, I'm good for another 5 to 8 years.

In the time since I posted my recent post I noticed that a select few old games have worked the first time I opened them in 10.9 and then afterwards they were broken. So, basically, I have to make a new copy of the app each time I run it. Or maybe use a Time Machine backup. I can't find anything on the Internet to explain this. My OS is corrupting programs after running them! :U

- Tim Rogers

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's just a computer gremlin corrupting the files. A simple solution would be to spray some sort of repellent into any intake fans on your Mac. If there are no intake fans, then you could try making a program to constantly create empty text files in a certain directory in hopes of keeping the computer gremlin busy. In a worst case scenario, however, you'd want to format your hard drive and light your computer on fire and put it out with holy water, chanting "Begone demons of the virtual realm, I banish thee!"

You can find holy water at any local drugstore, but if you don't have a local supplier, Walmart has an off-brand "Good" Water, which is almost the same thing.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 04:18:49 PM »
IIRC, SC 1.5 compiled PPC code, and OS X stopped supporting PPC after 10.6.  If you still have the source files, you can recompile your games as Intel code in SC 2.0b3.

Also, 10.9 requires applications to be signed by Apple.  To run non-signed programs, I think you need to go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy and change the setting "Allow apps downloaded from:" to "Anywhere".

My OS is corrupting programs after running them! :U
That's... really weird.  I have a feeling that the programs themselves are OK, but the OS has some kind of configuration file for them that is messed up (though I don't know why that would happen).  You can get the MD5 checksum of a program before you run it, then get the checksum again afterward, and compare them to see if the program has changed.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:20:25 PM by Circuit »

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 10:47:13 PM »
I'm still on 10.68. I'm afraid to upgrade in case some of the stuff I use won't run anymore.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 08:10:14 AM »
It's time to let go of the past Al. She's gone and dwelling in your memories will just leave you a bitter old man. The future is bright, now is when you must look forward. There's so many more experiences and I'm sure you'll find just what you need to fill your void. That hole that you're so desperately trying to keep patched. There's only so much duct tape you can add before it comes crashing down and in a single moment your whole world is gone.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 03:13:40 PM »
Says the guy who can't remember anything about projects he worked on less than a year ago.

- Tim Rogers

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 03:49:41 PM »
It's even worse for me, I can't remember projects I worked on less than ten minutes ago.

What the heck is a forum?!