Topic:   iPhone Project: Storyline ~ Go Nuts   (Read 29302 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: iPhone Project: Storyline ~ Go Nuts
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
Wow, that grass tile looks great.
What levels should I start with?
I'm thinking New Town. The last post on this page:
http://www.gamemakersgarage.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gmgroup;action=display;num=1255890873;start=60#60
Should give you a visual of what it probably would look like.

-Gandolf

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
the problem with story is its alot more work, cause it involves more graphics, characters, diolouge, and coding. its not neccisary unless you really have a story worth telling, also people are more into the gameplay and dont pay much attention to story

im just saying leave it out in hopes of increasing the chance of the game getting finished

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 11:01:14 AM »
I'm not quite sure. The storyline is broad meaning that we can make it as inflated or deflated as we want. We have nearly all the graphics we'll probably ever need, we have around 4 characters(I'd like maybe an extra in New Town) and monsters are easy to make with the large npc sprite list, I'd love to keep dialogue minimum(as I sort of want the player to get the gist of the game without reading), and all the main systems are finished(except saving which I plan on doing immediately). Our gameplay is going to be pretty awesome, especially with how things are set up and the currently being re-revamped tiles from WH. Though it'd be nice to have an equally great storyline.
At the moment the game is nearly all ready for the storyline, soon I'll be at a stand-still in development waiting for the storyline resources and other resources that may go with it.

Have you watched the latest video? Things are looking brighter...
Latest iPhone RPG Video Includes Item System Preview
(For a better viewing experience, you may want to right click and save to your hard disk then view it full screen in QuickTime)

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:01:32 AM by Gandolf »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 04:18:59 PM »
I hadn't seen that one. Really nice. :) This game is already better than the products of many online developers. I reckon we could really make a name for ourselves if we finish it and possibly put together a website.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 12:02:03 AM »
By using yipe as an example, are you saying you want the art to look awful :P?

I'm just about done here, it seems that you don't have anything for me to do and are content with reusing the rougesoft and lost winds sheets.

I'm completely willing to put a lot of work into this and make the game look nice, of course if that conflicts with your idea of a simple RPG then you can make all the art in an hour by palette swapping silver's stuff.  

I got 2 things I wanted to point out about sprites:
1. If they are all of similar style and quality, they will look okay together whether they are simple not and
2. There's no need to work so hard on the sprites that it looks like more work went into the sprites than into the gameplay.
If you have amazing/fancy/detailed sprites in a crappy or boring game it becomes sort of pointless.*
*not that the game looks crappy lol
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/