Topic:   Accepting donations to update REAL Bas-studio-xojo-whatever   (Read 15998 times)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
Re: Accepting donations to update REAL Bas-studio-xojo-whatever
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 09:25:32 PM »
Xojo has a sale going on right now so I can save 20% off the upgrade! I'll definitely order the upgrade during the sale. This should give me a year on the license. They did mention Mac 64 bit coming sometime in the next year for Cocoa and that would help SC even more.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
Michael Richardson
6020 Jessamine St. Ste 102
Houston TX 77081
hey mike, sorry i wasnt around when you needed it, SC was a major influence in my life and really allowed me to achieve my life goal of making my own stand alone games. i feel working with SC really exercised my mind, taught me attention to detail, helped me develop intelligence, and gave me an outlet for my artistic skills. right now i own and manage an insulation company and i cant help but think all those years of messing with SC and bug fixing helped me develop the skills that got me to where i am today, i really owe you a donation, is it still ok to send to this address?

theres nothing more satisfying than playing my own games which i do once in a while, and Enforcers RPG is my crown achievement. ive been messing with it recently and have an update coming soon
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:21:17 PM by EqwanoX »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »
I was able to renew Xojo last year during the sale.

Then I got a job with a company for several months, which did allow me to pay off several thousand dollars of credit card debt that I accrued during the recession, primarily buying things such as "food" and "petroleum distillates", and then later a new MacBook, when my previous MacBook Pro decided to arbitrarily take a shit and die.

By now the Xojo licenses may have expired, but that only means newer versions are unavailable.

Honestly I think at this point the best option is to ditch the legacy runtime and develop an HTML5 runtime with the goal being broad compatibility with modern desktop browsers.

HTML5 does not have sprites. But it has a canvas, and it is remarkably similar to the REALbasic canvas, except that it will probably run several times faster, because it will hook into some 64 bit Quartz magic accelerated shit on a new Mac, or Direct-Whatever-The-Hell-12 on Windows 10, and Linux... will also work.

And several major release cycles of web browsers have brought JavaScript code closer and closer to the metal. SilverCreator 2.0 has a bytecode system that made scripting 5x faster than 1.5... just converting that to JavaScript without concern for optimization, probably makes it 5x faster than that.

And now there's websockets, although not backwards compatible with SilverCreator's easy sockets (also used in GMOnline, based off the open source REALbasic code "EZProtocol", credit unknown).

SilverCreator presents a limited number of window arrangement and size, the simplest being just a huge, empty canvas, with optional fixed rows(s) of buttons along the bottom, and a free form text area which can occupy half the graphics area.

But you can pick any one of them (except the full sized text screen, obviously), and the SilverCreator IDE lets you import a sprite so easily. And in fact right now, the legacy runtime uses PNG files with masks for sprite storage, which is exactly the format for use online. And it already has the capability to convert some legacy type formats into MP4.

And the BASIC style code, you know the rest. SilverCreator is an IDE, you know what, it's a pretty damn good IDE even in 2015, for allowing the use of BASIC scripting with sprites and multimedia and networking.

To a new programmer having HTML5 and JavaScript shoved at you and being expected to learn that, is similar to being given a Mac in the 90's with a C compiler, and no book.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 04:07:36 PM »
Since you brought up making an HTML5 version of Silver Creator, I think you should have a chat with Gan. His HTML5 GM follows the same kind of philosophy and it's already got a lot of good features, including built-in documentation.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/