Platform: Macintosh

Participant List:
Gnome Again - Design Director/chief programmer
Warhampster - Sprite design

Here are some things that we were working on:
-Scrolling Nav
-Map
-Battle engine

I think Sliverwind should do deal the Jobs since he started it.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:17:19 PM by Gnome_Again »
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: Overview
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:05:29 AM »
na i dont think more lists are gonna help, you gotta actually make something

why not throw toegether a battle engine? theres plent of open sourse demos to start from. more importantlly you need graphics to start, but i think someone already made some
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:08:01 AM by EqwanoX »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:15:27 AM »
Once again, I can help with everything other than programming.

Edit - are you sure that this will be an RPG? Because if you are I'll start making a world map...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:19:36 AM by WarHampster »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:29:10 AM »
well im not in charge, i think Silverwind is, but I'll get cracken' at that battle engine!

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:49:30 PM »
I was in charge? Oh, well in that case I resign, passing the crown to whoever wants it. There's no point in having someone who cringes at work to be in charge though, so personally I think either Gnome or Eq should be lead, as they've the most experience in finishing games and show the most eagerness towards work.

To anyone attempting a group project I suggest exactly the same thing as Eq. Provide some proof that your group project isn't just a bunch of lists like all the others by designing (and programming) a piece of world to explore, or writing a battle engine. You'll find people are more interested and willing to work on a project if it has a solid beta as an example.

Also, having witnessed countless flopped group development attempts (in various projects, not just GM ones) I now hold a rigid belief that there needs to be a very firm Design Director. It's natural for everyone to want to implement their say, but group projects need someone to enforce an overall structure in the game. For example, they need to say "This is what the battle engine will be like, this is what quests will be like, this is the general foundation for gameplay" and so on and so forth. In other words, 1 guy (or a small group) plans the game, everyone else designs content. (maps, quests, enemies, dungeon layouts and so on)

Also, you get allot of "I can do music/graphics" people, but the DD should only accept people who can give an example of their work. A list of names doesn't help development.

Best of luck developing guys, and as Ghost would say: Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 05:51:09 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »
Ok, if Eq doesn't want to I will take charge.

expect the battle engine to done tomorrow.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:43:34 AM »
im just worried that "in charge" means that person has to put together the whole game so if i was in charge there would be a few conditions:

-the only thing i would do in makeing the game is putting it together, so people would send me a battle engine, someone else sends me a nav system, someone else sends graphics, i would put them all together, so everything would have to be programmed in SC, as long as theres a decent effort put into the systems i would go over it and take out any bugs if needed.

- i need a detailed description of the gameplay and its features so i know what im working with and maybe add my own
-same with graphics dont send me a link to a tile set on some other site, detailed description of wich character is who

the reason for strict conditions is the reputation of group projects, i dont want to put in alot of effort and then have everyone abandon it later. group projects are usually a bunch of noobs that want someone else to make the game for them
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:46:29 AM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
group projects are usually a bunch of noobs that want someone else to make the game for them
That's even better than your last slandering group projects related quote.
I survived the spammage of 2007