Topic:   Lucid Dreaming   (Read 4760 times)

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
Lucid Dreaming
« on: March 29, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »
Ah. Never has there been a more intriguing topic to behold.
So I've be try MILD for a bit, induced it once but since have been unsuccessful. I just wanted to hear if any if you had any awesome stories or thoughts relating to lucid dreaming.

For thoes who know nothing of the subject check here or on the subreddit
http://www.ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31587
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
Re: Lucid Dreaming
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:42:47 AM »
I managed to get myself into lucid dreams several times once, I should really try again... I've definitely noticed that dreams often have a lot to do with the last thing I was thinking about when I went to sleep... Of course the first step to get there is realizing you're dreaming thus you should make a habit of checking to see if you're dreaming even if you clearly aren't. You have to do it enough so you'll remember it while you're asleep. Heres some tricks:

Pinch yourself.
Wave one hand in front of the other and see if the blur looks normal.
(And my favorite) Read something, then wait a moment and read it again. If you're dreaming, it might change.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:47:21 AM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »
This morning my dream consisted of sky police, a dark haired girl being nabbed by them. She escapes over a mountain, falls with one of the policemen. Police hits the mountain first, turns into a horse.
Girl managed to make a softer landing. Mountain has a building on it, inhabited by an ugly witch. The witch traded her beauty for power. There's animals around the mountain, apparently she uses them for nutrients.
Girl gets in a gang of people stuck in the witch's house. They all have swords, they plan an escape and to kill the witch. The witch uses mirrors and has a lot of them for her witchy ways.

Then boom I'm driving on the highway but hey look I'm going off an exit and there's lava at the bottom. What do I do? I get out of the car and walk around it like I don't give a crap.
Other people are freaking out.
Meh.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
I had a dream last night where Kim Jong Eun came to my house and stayed there. And we tried to be hospitable, but, I mean, he's Kim Jong Eun. It was weird, because we knew that at any point he could kill us (he had a gun) but we couldn't resist randomly bursting out in laughter at him. After a while, we found the real reason he'd come here. He forced us to show him on a map where some treasure was, and then brought us to some ancient Incan temple or something in the middle of the jungle to search for it. The whole dream ended up like Indiana Jones (which makes sense, because I watched Indiana Jones and then the news before bed, thus linking Kim Jong Eun to Indiana Jones). 

So there you have it. My adventures with weird dreams. I have managed to lucid dream once or twice, but those are nowhere near as interesting as the dreams I have on a day to day (or should I say night to night) basis. I usually remember my dreams, so if I have any more like that, I'll be sure to post them.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »
I advise extreme caution before you attempt a mantra inducement, as it's likely to be extremely effective and like me you may not find lucid dreaming to be all it's cracked up to be:

http://gamemakersgarage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1106.15;#msg17190

One of my best friends successfully developed complete lucidity in his dreams and maintained the habit for several weeks (before he got bored) without any negative side-effects, but in my experience it resulted in chronic exhaustion and I couldn't stop it from happening; it just went away eventually.

EDIT

lol! I remember this, it was hilarious:

I had a vividly realistic dream two nights ago where me and my sister were discussing TV commercials and how they rarely make any sense (a subject which we often do discuss) when we happened to glance at the TV and see a ridiculous addvert for "The Fugitive". The following was the dialogue (spoken in a dramatic movie advert voice, and yes, the horrendous grammar was included):

A man wakes up after murdering his wife but discovers that he hadn't already done it, so he calls the police who inform him of his loss and he becomes: The Fugitive!

I woke up because I could hear myself laughing. I've never actually seen The Fugitive, but I'm sure the plot is nothing remotely like that.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:28:29 PM by Silverwind-san »
I survived the spammage of 2007

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »
Thanks Silverwind I just read through that whole thread and realized I woke up with sleep paralysis when I was a kid right after I nightmare. I still remember the nightmare and that experience today. The scars run deep... That's for making me relive that... I'm going to go see a psychiatrist now.

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 04:08:34 AM »
Awwww man you know I've had fun writing down some of my dreams a while back, if I could just remember where I put the papers... Maybe I'll start keeping journals again my dreams can get pretty ridiculous. Something about finding out a guy was rigging the election to become the president of sweden after battling pirates with fireworks. And then there's the one that reminded me of sailing around in Zelda - Phantom Hourglass/Windwaker and junk. Why do I have so many dreams about bits of video games?

I think I had a very brief sleep paralysis once, luckily I woke up soon and I knew what it was but you're right it's very unsettling.

ALSO I used to have falling dreams, and I'd wake up when I was going to hit the ground, you guys ever had those? Sometimes I'd wake up and convulse a little like I had imagined hitting the ground and sometimes it was because I was actually sliding off the bed.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 04:11:29 AM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 11:38:44 PM »

So this is a page from my dream journal.
Rather than tell you what in the worlds going on I think it's funnier to leave it like this. Oh and the 'trayne' thing is a joke, it's a reference to the leviathan.
Ps I uploaded the pic to mediafire through my iPod and I'm super proud of that (thought ya should know XD)

EDIT: I couldn't get the pic to show itself coorectly so... Here http://www.mediafire.com/view/?q8ppgb5cp151ryg
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:46:32 PM by GMG Kurt »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:22:02 AM »
That makes a pretty cool photo...

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »
It's a mystery!

Some of those numbers seem to look a little like the fibbanoci sequence.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »
This happens to me all the time:
I'm really tired, and I fall asleep without noticing, and I start to see people doing every day things: walking, running, etc. Then they just fall asleep and instead of hitting the ground, they hover about an inch off the ground.

Then I wake up, and it's been like 5 minutes...

Also, sometimes I dream that I'm running, and then I jump (in the dream) and I move in real life, and the shock of it wakes me up.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!