Topic:   News on GameMaker v4.0   (Read 259423 times)

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Re: News on GameMaker v4.0
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »
But what if you make a mistake that can't be undone because you accidentally did something after it so undo didn't work will there still be a revert to original?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »
But what if you make a mistake that can't be undone because you accidentally did something after it so undo didn't work will there still be a revert to original?

It sounds like it'll still function like the old GameMaker. You will have an undo feature that you can use, even if the game was saved. However once you close and reopen the game, it'll be saved with the latest changes. Perhaps at the start of every session, GameMaker should duplicate the file and make a backup, so if you want to go back to how it was at the beginning of the session, you just work from the backup.

Ghost

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »
Autosave has its perks and its downfalls. I'd say both, because I like having the choice to be able to save when I want as well, but that's just me.

If I had to choose though, Autosave would be the way to go.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 03:45:24 PM »
I don't like auto saves.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 05:12:47 PM »
Autosaves a really good until you make a mistake and its irreversible thats why I like the Idea of an Autobackup rather than an autosave.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 06:21:54 PM »
I think that you should make a svn-like copy of the save file that is autosaved about every 15 mins (by default) and make it so that it is every hour after one day and every day after that...

A bit like time machine...

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 06:31:40 PM »
Since this be one of my only chances to add my opinion to GM here is a list of stuff I think should be added.

SPRITEROTATE COMMAND, make the sprite point to the mouse.

Better Animation: as Jadico said

START ANIMATION
frame 1
frame 2
more frames...
END ANIMATION.

finally, TIMER ACTIVATE

IF SPRITECOLLIDE = blahblahblah
THEN TIMER 1 = ON

and if GM can't handle animated GIFs let it.
that would be perfect.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:24:50 PM by Gnome_Again »
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 06:51:09 PM »
That, and arrays, [size=13]constants[/size][size=-1.5], structures, [/size] [size=10]while loops,[/size]  [size=-4]functions,[/size] [size=-6] pointers.......[/size]

Just kidding :p
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:51:26 PM by WarHampster »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 08:08:22 PM »
That, and arrays, [size=13]constants[/size][size=-1.5], structures, [/size] [size=10]while loops,[/size]  [size=-4]functions,[/size] [size=-6] pointers.......[/size]

Just kidding :p
LOL!

alias

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »
OMG add 3d features already

"OPEN3DFILE pointer,x,y"

jokes that would just be stupid.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 12:30:42 AM »
Just out of curiosity who would use the 3d feature and what kind of game would you be planning on making in order to use that feature?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 02:43:35 AM »
START ANIMATION
frame 1
frame 2
more frames...
END ANIMATION.
I use pict for that. :)
Code: [Select]
TotalFrames = 10
Frame = 0

REPEAT TotalFrames
  Frame = Frame + 1
  PICT Frame
END REPEAT

finally, TIMER ACTIVATE

IF SPRITECOLLIDE = blahblahblah
THEN TIMER 1 = ON
Here's what I do for Tides of Fáden:
Code: [Select]
ON TIMER Time
  IF TimerEnabled$ = "Yes" THEN

END IF
END TIMER

Animated gifs would be cool indeed. :)
I survived the spammage of 2007

alias

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 04:39:09 AM »
Just out of curiosity who would use the 3d feature and what kind of game would you be planning on making in order to use that feature?

lol did you read my entire post??

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 08:47:11 AM »
Saving Project:
The problem is the project will be a folder with a lot of files in it. I will try to copy the entire folder and use the copy for editing. Not sure how hard that will be or how slow it will be to open a large project. I'll try it out.

Animations:
I'm hoping to get some kind of animation going. Probably letting you link a lot of pictures together and decide how fast to flip between them.

Timer:
silverwind showed a very simple way to do it. There is a TIMER X that will let you change the amount of time also, but it doesn't let you stop it and start it later.

Sprite Rotate:
That and other sprite things are on my list of items I'm trying to add or improve.

Card Layouts:
I don't know if I will be making new layouts. I decided to go with a blank card. The entire card area is a paint area and then you can put your text field, buttons, power bar, etc wherever you want on the card. Basically it's always a custom card layout. I will probably keep the old layout options as game layout templates. Hmm... then again maybe I will add more layouts that can be templates. But in any case you won't have to worry about not being able to have a layout that you want.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »
Timer:
silverwind showed a very simple way to do it. There is a TIMER X that will let you change the amount of time also, but it doesn't let you stop it and start it later.
It works great too. The NPC timer in ToF in loaded at the beginning of the game and runs all the time, yet turning it off is easy. Give it a try Gnome, 'tis most powerful a tool. :)

Card Layouts: I don't know if I will be making new layouts. I decided to go with a blank card. The entire card area is a paint area and then you can put your text field, buttons, power bar, etc wherever you want on the card. Basically it's always a custom card layout. I will probably keep the old layout options as game layout templates. Hmm... then again maybe I will add more layouts that can be templates. But in any case you won't have to worry about not being able to have a layout that you want.
Hurray! That last line is the sell point! ;D
I survived the spammage of 2007