Topic:   How to run Myst Online: Uru Live on Mac   (Read 10063 times)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
How to run Myst Online: Uru Live on Mac
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »
I was fishing around in the MOULa forum and I looked at the methods presented for installing the game on this page: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=315072

The quote below outlines the easiest and probably most likely to work. It does not require any extra installs such as XCode (which is huge). Just move the new launcher into the old wrapper and run it! it will download the game files which takes a while the first time.

If you would rather do it yourself by hand, the following is my original post containing instructions for manually installing the Cider version, upon which the mystonline-cider port in MacPorts is now based:

1. Download the old Mac client (http://archives.gametap.com/static/uru-client/mac/mac_myst_setup.dmg) from Gametap, mount the disk image, and copy Myst Online.app to your Applications folder -- or, if you played MO:UL years ago and saved a copy of the app, use that, because it already contains most of the assets the game needs and you won't have to download them again.

2. Replace UruLauncher.exe in /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live with the new copy.

Where do you get the new copy of UruLauncher.exe? I got it by downloading the current MO:ULagain installer for Windows and running it in Wine. This will install UruLauncher.exe into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Uru Live and you can copy it from there into the Myst Online application. If installing Wine just to get UruLauncher.exe is too much trouble, you can download UruLauncher.exe here(http://distfiles.macports.org/mystonline/) (as a zip file, which you should extract before proceeding).

Once you have the new UruLauncher.exe, how do you put it inside Myst Online.app? You can do it in the Finder: In the Applications folder, Control-click Myst Online.app. In the resulting window, go into Contents, then Resources, then Control-click again on this Myst Online.app. Again navigate into Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Uru Live. Drag the new UruLauncher.exe from wherever you put it on your hard drive into this folder and replace the old one.

This worked for me. After launching Myst Online.app, it downloaded a new patcher, then downloaded about 400MB of updates (slowly), then let me log in (very slowly) and eventually get into the cavern. (If you used a fresh Myst Online.app from the Gametap disk image, it'll need to download a lot more than that.)
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Re: How to run Myst Online: Uru Live on Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »
Nice. Now make a thread called "Why to run Myst Online: Uru Live on Mac" and maybe someone will use this information. In the meantime, I'm gonna play PSO.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:28:03 PM »
You know what? I might just see if I can get a screen recording of this. It'll probably just slow down the computer but WHO KNOWS.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gaia1956

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 08:40:56 AM »

Gaia1956

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 08:41:16 AM »

Gaia1956

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 08:41:34 AM »