Topic:   GM Game Database   (Read 26992 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: GM Game Database
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »
Non-carbonized worked well!

Haha, couldn't figure out how to play though. Kept dying.
Yeah, you have to click the invisible button and then enter the secret 50-digit code.  ;)  I just felt like sharing this because it's such a good example of the spirit of GM: cool, random, violent, and hilarious.
Great... I'm going to be playing this all night...

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 12:33:40 PM »
This is all a great idea. I hope you can manage to salvage stuff from AOL without it closing or anything. My advice (which I also gave antoher time) is: put the games on your own server, not something like mediafire, so that they are safe and not randomly deleted, and try to make the HTML/HTTP simple enough that it can make it into the Web Archive [i.e. dont use e.g. hashbang/javascript URLs] :)

There are lots of old game files here: http://www.box.com/shared/ijvs45xf2v/
I'm not sure where they came from. Some rare stuff in there.
That link was posted a few years ago on these forums.

It's nice that several people here have a good SheepShaver setup.
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »
This is all a great idea. I hope you can manage to salvage stuff from AOL without it closing or anything. My advice (which I also gave antoher time) is: put the games on your own server, not something like mediafire, so that they are safe and not randomly deleted, and try to make the HTML/HTTP simple enough that it can make it into the Web Archive [i.e. dont use e.g. hashbang/javascript URLs] :)

There are lots of old game files here: http://www.box.com/shared/ijvs45xf2v/
I'm not sure where they came from. Some rare stuff in there.
That link was posted a few years ago on these forums.

It's nice that several people here have a good SheepShaver setup.
Yeah, I've been constantly afraid that the games might disappear from AOL.  The other Mac game libraries were closed years ago.  IIRC, the GM games were left intact because an admin decided to 'overlook' them during the liquidation, God bless him.  But the games won't be there forever.
I've actually already downloaded all the games from that link.  I went back to AOL because I noticed that several were missing.  It turns out that more than 100 games are missing from the GMG archive!  :o
If I had my own server, I would definitely follow your suggestion re: the web archive.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
Hey Al, is there a way to determine the number of cards in a GM game using ResEdit?

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 07:21:32 AM »
Hey Al, is there a way to determine the number of cards in a GM game using ResEdit?

There are always 250 cards except for really old versions that only had 100 cards. Determining how many are actually being used is a little harder. You can see how many cards have a picture (which is usually a good way to determine the number of cards in use) by opening the PICT resource and seing how many PICT resources there are. There will be a picture for each card. They are numbered using 1000 + the card number. So card 5 will have PICT 1005.

You can also count how many cards have some kind of scripting by looking at the Scpt resource. They are numbered the same as the PICTs. If anything on card 1 has a script on any button, click area, or the card script, then there will be a Scpt resource 1001. All the scripts on a card are saved in that one Scpt resource for that card.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »
I think the few-years-old GMG Wiki (http://manual.gamemakersgarage.com/) had some info on some of the more popular games and could be adapted to serve this purpose.  Assuming that the data is still intact somewhere.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »
It would be great if we could get that data and incorporate it into the database.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »

This is the database form that I made in AppleWorks.  Besides what's already on there, what other fields should it have?  I plan to add number boxes for # Cards and GM Version, and a checkbox for Timers.  Is there anything else?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 08:08:35 PM »
Looks good to me.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 11:34:23 PM »
Perhaps the graphic theyve chosen as the icon or the main screen. The o ly other thing i thought weird was the comment section, its more facts than reviews/descriptions, or was that your aim?
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 02:17:32 AM »
Looks good to me.
Thanks Gan.  :)

Perhaps the graphic theyve chosen as the icon or the main screen. The o ly other thing i thought weird was the comment section, its more facts than reviews/descriptions, or was that your aim?
The AppleWorks database is only intended to store basic info about the files, and any interesting facts that I feel like writing down.  The real database on the GMG will have all of the things that you mentioned.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 03:20:58 PM »
Impressive, I didn't know anybody still used Appleworks!   :D

CryptoCurrencygeore

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
    • One must acknowledge with cryptography no amount of violence will ever solve a math problem. – Jacob Appelbaum https://cutt.ly/pwBLE09s
The reason we are all here is that the current financial system is outdated. – Charlie Shrem – founder & CEO Bitinstant https://cutt.ly/pwBLE09s
What can’t kill Bitcoin, makes it stronger. – Mark Wittkowski https://cutt.ly/pwBLE09s