Topic:   mac issues   (Read 2447 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

mac issues
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:54:10 AM »
i was gonna copy all my music from my g3 imac to a g4 emac and for some reason the emac's permissions were set to read only and it wouldnt let me copy to it, so i set it to read & write then i set it to apply to enclosed items, which is probly where i made the mistake. my g3 at this point is mounted on the emacs desktop through target mode. when it finishes applying, everything is messed up. now it wont even open the g3's folder when it did before i applyed the new permissions. so i restart, the emac wont do anything at the apple startup screen and the g3 loads like it normally would but instead of loading the desktop it loads a blank blue screen. i reset the pram on both and nothing. neither will start in safe mode. i booted the emac from the 10.5 install disks from my intel imac and used disk utility to repair permissions and now it continuously restarts in a loop and still wont start up in safe mode. this totally fritos up my day, i use the g3 every day to listen to music while i exercise. does anyone have any ideas?

im probly gonna have to reinstall osx. theres none available on craigslist so i have to goto amazon, 10.5 is 200$ used, i dont want to spend that much so ill have to get 10.2 for 25$. this is why i hate computers
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:45:20 AM by Gan »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: mac issues
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »
Ah man, had that happen to me once.

I had set my hard drive's permission to read and write, applied to all enclosed items... and couldn't even start up.
I was forced to re-install. Couldn't figure any other way to fix it.

If you only use the machine to exercise, you could put it up on Ebay and go buy yourself an iPod. <--Unhelpful answer

If your other machine works perfectly. Copy the music from your broken machine to your new machine. Format the broken machine and carbon copy the new machine to the broken machine. Then start up the broken machine and it'll work. Be a duplicate of your new machine. <--Maybe helpful answer

Exercising... from the post I infer you exercise regularly. Which means most likely you're muscular and fit. Which means...
I bet you look like the characters you draw. <--Compliment

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: mac issues
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »

i really should get an ipod.

the g3 wont even mount now, even in target mode, it says its locked