Topic:   the infamous sound glitch of SC   (Read 7627 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

the infamous sound glitch of SC
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »
i copied a compiled version of enforcers to my intel imac through wi-fi for testing and noticed that even though its not compressed or uploaded to a site it still has the static sound glitch. so then i copied over the sourse file and same deal. i wonder if it has something to do with mp3 encodeing cause sc recently got mp3 support. it doesnt corrupt the sound files themselves cause everything works in the begininng but as you start introducing more sound effects later, the glitch starts to creep in more and more untill everything is static

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: the infamous sound glitch of SC
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
Can you post a link of your static sounding game? I wanna do some tests.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:25:07 PM »
I've never really tried to add sound much, never got that far. :/
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 11:43:01 PM »
So I tried Enforcers again and the sound glitch became obvious. It might play music once or twice and then each time afterward it becomes static. And it's most likely a glitch in Silver Creator. But what would cause that? It doesn't make much sense, unless perhaps it's loading wrong.
EDIT: Reminds me of TNT requiring you to say when to load OR unload resources, so you could manage them better, and not eat up memory. I had to figure out how to do it correctly in my maze game each time you go to a new level... It's a bit more work but good for learning if you're moving on to more complex languages.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:46:48 PM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:41:39 AM »
yea im making a sc file soley for testing this glitch, so far ive tested wav's and mp3 playing over each other and with loopsound but the glitch hasnt shown itself, it must have to do with switching between cards as well

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:52:03 AM »
Old GameMaker versions had a problem like that where if a sound was playing and you tried to play another one it would mess up the sound. I think I fixed it by having GM stop and delete the currently playing sound if a new one was started. If SC has a way to check if a sound is playing and if it allows you to stop playing a sound, you may want to try doing that in your game. The idea is to do this:

check if sound is playing.
if sound is playing then stop playing
play new sound.

I don't know if SC lets you test for any sounds playing or not.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 10:03:15 AM »
So it might occur if a game had a glitch, say, in one of the loops, that caused a sound or a loop to be started twice? This is worth experimenting with.

- Tim Rogers

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
does anyone have a windows computer they can test to see if the sound glitch is still present in enforcers?
windows version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?59qnh2c8uaeom9d

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 01:22:32 PM »
I do.  I'll test it.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
Good news: the MIDIs in the Item store, the Thrift store, the Pawn shop, and Club Paradox all play normally without any static.  The battle sound effects are normal too.

Bad news:
The program is less responsive to keyboard and mouse input.
The spacebar is non-functional when the game starts.  It starts working after I die in a fight.
Battles can be really slow, depending on how many characters are onscreen.  A 1-on-1 or 2-on-1 fight is OK, but 3-on-3 is really bad.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 10:46:23 AM »
you may want to try doing that in your game. The idea is to do this:

check if sound is playing.
if sound is playing then stop playing
play new sound.

I don't know if SC lets you test for any sounds playing or not.
keep in mind, the glitch only appears when i copy the game over to another computer, and its not immediate, it appears after a few minutes of gameplay. theres no glitch in the source or in compiled versions, but if i copy the compiled version OR the sourse to another computer the sound glitch appears, even when i duplicated my entire hard drive last night from my g5 to my new intel imac in firewire mode the glitch is present. so the only way i can play the game without the glitch is on my G5, its a really strange bug, im still trying to duplicate it by importing a bunch of sounds to a new source then uploading it and downloading it but nothing so far. the glitch is also in stranded forest and that uses hardly any sounds

Bad news:
The program is less responsive to keyboard and mouse input.
The spacebar is non-functional when the game starts.  It starts working after I die in a fight.
Battles can be really slow, depending on how many characters are onscreen.  A 1-on-1 or 2-on-1 fight is OK, but 3-on-3 is really bad.
thats interesting, how much ram does your windows computer have? cause Enforcers requires at least a gig of ram, that MIGHT be the reason for slow down
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:55:54 AM by EqwanoX »

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »
thats interesting, how much ram does your windows computer have? cause Enforcers requires at least a gig of ram, that MIGHT be the reason for slow down
4 GB.  It's the same computer, BTW.  I installed Windows 7 on my Intel MacBook through Boot Camp.  IMO, I think that the Windows SC runtime is just buggy and inefficient because Mike hasn't worked on it very much.  He can't test the Windows runtime without getting Windows, and he'd rather die than give Bill Gates his money.   ;D

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »
this is strange, someone on a windows native computer said they cant play enforcers cause they get an array error at the begining of the game and it crashes. i guess windows support isnt that stable? its still strange that it worked for you in windows but on a mac

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »
i think the sound glitch in sc is actually being caused by the program i use to edit sounds called "Audacity", is there any other sound tool i can use that isnt buggy?