Topic:   Mystic Legend II ?   (Read 21633 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Mystic Legend II ?
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
now that im done with enforcers ive been working on porting the engine over to a new mystic legend game, its so easy to work with, i got the nav and inventory up and running already. i was thinking of making this a group project similar to the space marine game where people can give me ideas and i can implament them and post updates as i go, then maybe i can circulate this and enforcers to indie game companies and hopefully do this professionally some day
http://cl.ly/341A062w1k3x1A3p092p

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
Re: Mystic Legend II ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:57:55 PM »
I loved mystic ledgends, it was the first GM game that I played, and I loved it  ;D
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »
I'm trying out the game right now. It looks great! Connors is impressed.
So a couple simple things: Wall o' text:
If you want to make some more interesting dialogue, you may want to add an option to have the player flip through more than one dialogue box at a time.

I know some members here would be glad to pitch in with music or sounds to make it more interesting!

And something I found out, for basically any part of a game, is it can help with the flow immensely if some button presses have just a slight delay. In some cases it waits just a fraction of a second before allowing another key press, such as with dialogues, so you can't accidentally skip one so easily.
And when I enter some staircases holding up it will rapidly switch between rooms. You might want  have up and down stairs face opposite ways or have a small delay when switching areas, maybe play an exit area sound.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:12:32 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »
You can open the chests over and over again. I have like 3 short swords...
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:25:24 PM »
I want to sell items! XD
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »
I loved mystic ledgends, it was the first GM game that I played, and I loved it  ;D
cool, thanks

I'm trying out the game right now. It looks great! Connors is impressed.
So a couple simple things: Wall o' text:
If you want to make some more interesting dialogue, you may want to add an option to have the player flip through more than one dialogue box at a time.

I know some members here would be glad to pitch in with music or sounds to make it more interesting!

And something I found out, for basically any part of a game, is it can help with the flow immensely if some button presses have just a slight delay. In some cases it waits just a fraction of a second before allowing another key press, such as with dialogues, so you can't accidentally skip one so easily.
And when I enter some staircases holding up it will rapidly switch between rooms. You might want  have up and down stairs face opposite ways or have a small delay when switching areas, maybe play an exit area sound.
the only thing is i dont even have enough diolouge to use more than one box, but i could, theres some back and forth conversations in enforcers.

im gonna add a footsteping sound for stairs, i already have a open and close door sound for the town

any music or sound contributions would be really appreciated

yea i would imagine this runs really fast on an intel, im still on my 1.6 g5 so theres just enough lag that it doesnt skip anything. ive been looking for an intel on craigslist lately, im not gonna spend more than 400$ on one

im still experimenting with v7 and im really pushing it to its limits with this, if anyones familiar with v7 i was able to put all five interiors of the houses on one map, theyre lined up horizonally so it doesnt use up so many lines of code, and they all run off the same tile pallete, if you remember you can only have around 37 tiles per map cause they have to be single digit. but overall im really streamlining it so its easy for me to use

i didnt even notice the fifth house in the north of the town area, i programed that and cleaned up the tiles by taking out the black lines
http://cl.ly/0E2U3I2U3G1U1P0y3i0o

the trade-off from enforcers is attacks will be animated like in the original mystic legend, but weapons will not be displayed on characters in battle, they will always be displayed with their default weapons

(chests only open once for me, what chest is it?)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
Almost any of them. Open the GUI or leave the building and come back, and they're closed again.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 07:01:05 PM »
Hey EQ, it seems your download link is dead. Thankfully I managed to snag it a few days back. :)

http://cl.ly/0n3L0h2F3L2r1000250R

Holy crap, I just opened it and the gfx are fantastic! Hmmm... been playing a bit and there might be a bug in the inventory. Just got the bandanna and it looks just like the vest.

Way cool, just explored to the next town! Hey, suggestion: Fill the black space of the outside world with trees. Would definitely make it look better.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
i never saw any bug with the chests, see if it still does it with this version

fixed bandana bug

battle systems up, it supports up to 6 enemies. also added support magic, but as of right now you can only use it in battle
http://cl.ly/2K1r1x0A1j3L0s273m0v

i need ideas for levels and tiles

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
Congrats. You made the first post of the new year  :P

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »
I like the combat. It has the awesome graphics of the original. Needs music though.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 01:28:12 PM »
where did the day go! its 2:30, ive been workin on this sinse 9am. i added another character, support magic menu, and fine tuned alot of other things
http://www.mediafire.com/?hcbn80nzimxpz2d

lolz, at the guy in the back of the town

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »
Wow this is way cool. I like the upgraded inventory and the fact you got 2 people in your party!

Edit:
Hahah, "You can't fight me, I'm not programmed yet!"
Edit 2:
Whoa! Got into my first fight. These graphics are amazing! Cabbage patch kid...  ;D
I really like your animations Eq, this is incredible high quality... even high amongst the professional quality stuff.
Edit 3:
I wish I could draw as awesome as you...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 02:39:00 PM by Gan »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »
Wow this is way cool. I like the upgraded inventory and the fact you got 2 people in your party!

Edit:
Hahah, "You can't fight me, I'm not programmed yet!"
Edit 2:
Whoa! Got into my first fight. These graphics are amazing! Cabbage patch kid...  ;D
I really like your animations Eq, this is incredible high quality... even high amongst the professional quality stuff.
Edit 3:
I wish I could draw as awesome as you...
im gonna try and go for 4 party members, and get the dungeon level playable for next update. im thinking of keeping it linear like the original with the level, town, level, town formula

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
I loved the original, but the "level town level town" thing got pretty stale. You just had to train, train, train, go, cut scene, buy stuff, train, train, train, on and on and on and on 'till you won.

You could make it sort of like that but with more freedom, like making your own character by choosing stats in the beginning, like gang wars, or different classes of characters. Maybe you could start with one character and recruit another in the first town, but give a choice between characters that would effect the story in little ways, but not the overall path that the game takes. Maybe let the player choose whether to be good or evil, or how they interact with different characters, like, if you're a jerk to everyone no one will join your party, and you'll die.

Or you could just stick to your idea, because it will be easy, and it would still be fun.