Topic:   D_a_m_n should not be censored   (Read 44324 times)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
Re: D_a_m_n should not be censored
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2009, 01:18:34 AM »

Wordweaver is still around in his strange, apocolyptic ridden hole. He's still running his Telnet BBS from what I can see.

http://www.endtimeprophecy.org/ArmageddonBBS/

I have one question; why do you always use Team Rocket on your pages? I mean, they're awesome and all, but I'm just intrigued. Perhaps a screenshot or a photo of you sitting next to your trophy Mac would be more appropriate?

The Team Rocket pictures (there used to be several others) were put up when I changed servers last year, so I could identify when the DNS had successfully switched over for each domain. I never took it down for Mac Spy though (and I guess also mikerichardson.name)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:20:10 AM by Mike_Richardson »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2009, 08:47:39 PM »
So you are in fact saying that s**t is better than d**n, at least in a religious context?
In religious context, all cursing is a sin. Sin is all equal, and you can't go to heaven with sin.
Unfortunately, this forum is not operated within the confines of a religious context.
Yeah, instead it's operated under the confinement of Ghost. He controls this forum to make it pleasing to all people of all ages to populate and grow.

I don't think you should get upset if someone says "d***." You have your own personal beliefs, and when I used the word "d***," I'm not intentionally cursing anyone in particular-- I'm just using an expression (the equivalent of "darn").
Though when you freely use curse words, you teach others to follow in your foot steps. If you haven't noticed, inappropriate language is often blocked for good reason. A prime example: The rating box on movies. Cursing/cussing can move a rating up from pg to pg-13 and even pg-13 to R, children are generally recommended to watch anywhere from g to pg. Pg-13 and up are not to be viewed to children. I started viewing game making forums at age 8, I could of been given some extremely bad habits though owners of forums were extremely respectful towards all ages and ethnicities to have the mind to block immature content.
This forum should generally stay at G, because I really shouldn't think that parental guidance is needed.

-Gandolf

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2009, 10:15:37 PM »
Okay Gandolf wins with that...

Though when you freely use curse words, you teach others to follow in your foot steps. If you haven't noticed, inappropriate language is often blocked for good reason. A prime example: The rating box on movies. Cursing/cussing can move a rating up from pg to pg-13 and even pg-13 to R, children are generally recommended to watch anywhere from g to pg. Pg-13 and up are not to be viewed to children. I started viewing game making forums at age 8, I could of been given some extremely bad habits though owners of forums were extremely respectful towards all ages and ethnicities to have the mind to block immature content.
This forum should generally stay at G, because I really shouldn't think that parental guidance is needed.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2009, 12:51:29 AM »
I'm not gonna lie, that's a pretty good point.

Still, should one of us utter an expletive, I trust it not to be too serious. Maybe we've all been raised differently, I dunno about you guys, but I was raised by a single parent student. When you're that young - as a parent - looking after one kid and generally not being able to make ends meet, I can understand why my mother often used swears and expletives. Do I dislike her for teaching me those words? No, not at all; I'm guessing that we all love our parents (I hope) and that we trust them to teach us the correct way. Perhaps I have gone off track as my mother did at one point. Sure, I swear and I admit that I picked it up off mother. Indeed, out of the many reasons I picked up that first cigarette a year and a half ago was because my mother had been smoking for all of my childhood. I was shown many a 15 rated film - not ones with blatant sex, but ones which were actually beneficial to the mind and to the soul. I read poetry which dealt with touchy subjects (Howl - Allen Ginsberg) and my mother encouraged that. How have I turned out?

My mother thinks I am intellectual and borderline philosophical, but I disagree - I'm a loser, which is the most perfect purity. [/intellectual]

Indeed, Gandolf is correct; I have followed in my mother's footsteps exactly, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Sure, you can have laws which govern how old you have to be to watch a particular movie because one of the characters say 'fuck' at some point, laws which govern what kids should and shouldn't read, laws which tell us when we can try that fatal first cigarette - it's all the same, slowing down the inevitable which is the transition from childhood to adolescence, then from there to adulthood. Law really isn't important. It's a code to live by - sure, I can agree to that - but it's in no way beneficial. Law can state that we should not expose younguns to swearing, but the law also states that teachers can starve the pupils at school (as long as the right words are used, of course).

Oh, now there's a thought; did you know that anyone below the age of 13 has to get parental consent in order to register for any forum? The webmasters can get into serious trouble without it. Just popped to mind. :)

COPPA

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2009, 05:35:35 AM »
In religious context, all cursing is a sin. Sin is all equal, and you can't go to heaven with sin.

I thought we agreed that s**t isn't a curse?

You can't s**t someone to hell, can you?
[/quote]

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2009, 08:07:46 AM »
Ha ha! I'm glad I'm thirteen! Close one...

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 08:35:51 AM »
Ahh but Mike, if someone says Holy Sh*t, then its bad. ;)

I'm just going to write a bunch to see what the word changes into.

Shit
Fuck
Fucker
Fucking
Asshole
Ass
Shitty
Assfuck
Shitfucks
Bastard
Bitch
Skank
Whore
Slut
Cunt
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:38:04 AM by HarryCaray »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 08:57:23 AM »
Ahh but Mike, if someone says Holy Sh*t, then its bad. ;)

I'm just going to write a bunch to see what the word changes into.

Shit
Fuck
Fucker
Fucking
Asshole
Ass
Shitty
Assfuck
Shitfucks
Bastard
Bitch
Skank
Whore
Slut
Cunt

Some of those aren't very good.

"s**t" turns into "nuts".

"Clean up all that nuts in your room."
"You are full of nuts."

Especially when "nuts" could be construed for "testicles".

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2009, 09:12:42 AM »
Sure, you can have laws which govern how old you have to be to watch a particular movie because one of the characters say 'f**k' at some point, laws which govern what kids should and shouldn't read, laws which tell us when we can try that fatal first cigarette - it's all the same, slowing down the inevitable which is the transition from childhood to adolescence, then from there to adulthood. Law really isn't important. It's a code to live by - sure, I can agree to that - but it's in no way beneficial. Law can state that we should not expose younguns to swearing, but the law also states that teachers can starve the pupils at school (as long as the right words are used, of course).
Teachers starve students at school? Physically or mentally?
 When a child is born, his/her brain is developing until usually around the age of 20. They are like a hot piece of metal that has just come out of a fire. That metal will fully cool off around 20 years after birth. As that metal is hot, it is much easier to bend to your will. This is the learning curve. Parents and such will bend this metal, usually to benefit the child with proper education. Children aren't suppose to watch anything profane, because that piece of metal is still hot and can easily be bent. As they get older, it cools and they are allowed more freedom. That piece of metal holds them to what they have learned and things can't get to them as easily. Early on in life if they are introduced to drugs, profanity, and sex; that's how they will live. The metal will cool and it will be extremely hard to bend them back.
That's why we have to keep the up most regard towards people of the young.

Oh, now there's a thought; did you know that anyone below the age of 13 has to get parental consent in order to register for any forum? The webmasters can get into serious trouble without it. Just popped to mind.  

COPPA
I sort of knew that in the back of my mind, though children are very explorative while learning. They want to know why, what, how, and is it edible. If given a computer, a parent would usually put up a firewall because a child will scour; absorbing all information on the net. If they see a forum and want to join, chances are that they won't ask a parent. They'll just join and look around. That's what I use to do, never gave a second thought to the button that asked me if I was 13 or older. It's not that I purposely lied, more of that I didn't really understand.

I thought we agreed that s**t isn't a curse?

You can't s**t someone to hell, can you?  
According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profanity
It's still a curse/cuss word. Though it also explains in that article that the word isn't related to anything religious.

-Gandolf

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »
According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profanity
It's still a curse/cuss word. Though it also explains in that article that the word isn't related to anything religious.

It's not a "curse". Damn is a curse. You are damning somebody. You are cursing them.

You cannot "s**t" somebody. You can't "s**t" them to a place. It's not a curse. It's a cuss word, an expletive, but not a curse. And it's not a religious word at all.

I now reverse my previous argument. "d**n" should be banned and "shit" should be allowed!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:14:21 AM by Mike_Richardson »

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
I shit you all to hell!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:17:28 AM by HarryCaray »

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2009, 12:58:51 PM »
drugs, profanity, and sex
[size=24]Not until you're 17.[/size]

Golden rule for all children, and it really works!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:59:18 PM by Telstar5 »

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2009, 01:01:59 PM »
Gandolf, how old are you? Just curious.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »
I assume much older than any of us. He seems very wise.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 01:27:01 PM by Telstar5 »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2009, 10:01:08 AM »
censoring damn is rediculous, and it shows how sheltered and fragile ghost is. i dont think there should be any sensorship, we should be able to express ourselves freely, theres hardly any swearing on these forums anyway, its like how there can be a few swears in a movie and it still be rated PG, but if swearing is out of control it gets a PG 13. we should all man-up a little, i mean whats next, we have to get our parents consent to register?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:04:38 AM by EqwanoX »