Topic:   D_a_m_n should not be censored   (Read 44116 times)

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
Re: D_a_m_n should not be censored
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 11:51:11 PM »
on UK TV, certain expletives are used freely which would be censored in the States

Oooh yeah. From about 8 PM onwards on the BBC, it's nothing but ****, ****, ****, ******, ****, ************ and **** all night long.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 11:52:10 PM by Telstar5 »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 06:55:04 AM »
What gives Gandolf the right to decide what words are censored for the entire site? -_-

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 07:06:38 AM »
I could say the same thing just turned around. ;)
You see, it isn't our right to decide what words are/aren't censored for the forum. It's Ghost's. He's the owner and that is why we are trying to win him over to our side by posting in the suggestions sub section of the forum.

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 07:16:48 AM »
Damn it, you caught me :(

EDIT: Hey, it looks like it's uncensored!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:18:02 AM by WarHampster »

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 07:24:39 AM »
Yay, now lets go for f.uck!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 09:52:15 AM »
 :( This is severely disappointing.

-Gandolf

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 10:05:32 AM »
This is what I think...

Damn should be uncensored.
Crap should be uncensored.
Ass should be uncensored.
Shit should be uncensored.
Vagina be uncensored.
Penis be uncensored.
Ass hat should be uncensored.
Rape should be uncensored.
Fuck should be censored.
Bitch should be censored.
Nigger should be censored.
Bob should be censored.

Yup that's it.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 10:17:24 AM »
Rape should be uncensored.

Oh, but of course, because rape is hilarious!

One of my friends was raped in her own home in April. Rape isn't funny, and I mean that.

If anyone's wondering, she survived and told the police. She's usually her old self these days, but gets patches of unhappiness every few weeks or so. It's awful.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »
Hey guys, tricky question.

It doesn't please anyone, they mean bad things most of the time and it has never done anything good. Why should we have it uncensored?

-Gandolf

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:38 PM »
Oh, but of course, because rape is hilarious!

One of my friends was raped in her own home in April. Rape isn't funny, and I mean that.

If anyone's wondering, she survived and told the police. She's usually her old self these days, but gets patches of unhappiness every few weeks or so. It's awful.

No one (at least i don't) means rape like that or likes to think about that. But raped as ing you just got raped, pwned, owned, killed.

It doesn't please anyone, they mean bad things most of the time and it has never done anything good. Why should we have it uncensored?

-Gandolf

Why can't I say ass. Or oh shit. Or fuck I just accidently blah blah blah. As long as I am not using it to hurt someone?

Oh fuck I just deleted my playlist on itunes! <--- okay

Go home and fuck yourself. <--- bad

You little piece of shit. <--- bad

Shit! I just (whatever). <--- okay

No words should be censored except racial slurs those have no reason to be said at all (except if you are saying not to say them). People should just get warned not to curse to hurt people in the rules and if they do X times they get banned.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:12:14 PM by Xiphos »

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 12:17:35 PM »
No one (at least i don't) means rape like that or likes to think about that. But raped as ing you just got raped, pwned, owned, killed.

I think that's really insensitive. :-/

I have no problem with pwned or owned or killed, but rape just isn't funny no matter what context.

-Gandolf

Most people use swears in everyday language. Swearing is like poetry; if pulled off correctly, it's beautiful. Overdoing it is when it gets nasty. I don't think the word 'damn' is such a bad word, it used to be censored in books way back in the seventies from what I can recall. 'Darn' would be an appropriate substitute, I've never seen it hurt anybody.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:18:18 PM by Telstar5 »

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »
Banned from books!!! But "cusses" help develop characters and how the reader feels about them!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »
Why can't I say a**. Or oh nuts. Or f**k I just accidently blah blah blah. As long as I am not using it to hurt someone?

Oh f**k I just deleted my playlist on itunes! <--- okay

Go home and f**k yourself. <--- bad

You little piece of nuts. <--- bad

nuts! I just (whatever). <--- okay

No words should be censored except racial slurs those have no reason to be said at all (except if you are saying not to say them). People should just get warned not to curse to hurt people in the rules and if they do X times they get banned.
You think you should not curse if it hurts people. Unfortunately people who are offended by cursing are hurt by it.

Most people use swears in everyday language. Swearing is like poetry; if pulled off correctly, it's beautiful. Overdoing it is when it gets nasty. I don't think the word 'd***' is such a bad word, it used to be censored in books way back in the seventies from what I can recall. 'Darn' would be an appropriate substitute, I've never seen it hurt anybody.
You're trying to justify the means by saying that many people do it. Band wagon approach. Than you say it's poetry without an explanation except "pulled off correctly". You have never seen it hurt somebody... you can probably do an educated guess that many people have been hurt before by it.

Banned from books!!! But "cusses" help develop characters and how the reader feels about them!
Cusses build characters in books....  Out of context words usually meaning to put down people and generally frowned down upon by society bring character to books. Interesting.

Can't you guys come up with anything at least a little bit convincing? :-/

-Gandolf

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »
Unfortunately people who are offended by cursing are hurt by it.
Okay crap...
Do you feel offended? Hurt?
You think you should not curse if it hurts people.
I agree with you!
Cusses build characters in books....  Out of context words usually meaning to put down people and generally frowned down upon by society bring character to books. Interesting.
If character's use bad language it tells you about them. that's all I meant. I was just surprised damn was banned from books in the 70s is all.

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 06:04:10 PM »
As Patrick would say, they are "sentence enhancers". There are some things best explained by using a cuss word, especially to make things funny.

Like instead of saying he went crazy, say he went apesh.it.