Topic:   D_a_m_n should not be censored   (Read 43598 times)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
D_a_m_n should not be censored
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:18:56 AM »
D_a_m_n (without underscores) should not be censored. I think we can all deal with that word.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:19:05 AM by Mike_Richardson »

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
Re: D_a_m_n should not be censored
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 01:08:56 AM »
Can I suggest 'my as s' being uncensored? If I type my  ass, I get 'I disagree'.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:09:06 AM by Telstar5 »

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »
my ass

I don't disagree.....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:09:53 AM by Xiphos »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:55:33 AM »
Agreed.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 11:59:13 AM »
This place is visited by people of all ages and all ethnicities. Curse words should in fact all be blocked.
What defines a curse word?
A curse word is a word taken out of context to mean something of a vulgar term used to express anger, disappointment, ect.
Curse words express negativity and the high use of them can actually bring depression and anger.

Besides that, I find cursing relative to the whining my nephew generates when he doesn't get that cookie he wanted. It's the language of the immature, I believe you guys can be a bit more respectful when talking.

-Gandolf

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »
Curse words only have the stigma attached to them because we attach such stigmas.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 05:27:47 PM »
Not all swears are bad. Yeah, racist swear words are horrible, and I have no objection to them being censored - but things like 'damn' and 'ass' are part of American-English language. In Ireland, they swear all the time. I don't think I met a single person in Northern Ireland that didn't swear at least twice in ten minutes. Maybe fuck is a bit too extreme, and I don't mind that being censored within reason.

Fact is that everyone past the age of 12 starts developing language skills, including slang. I'm willing to bet that people from 10 to 28 will visit the forum, and only a small minority will actually be offended by swearing. After people get over the whole 'swearing is naughty' thing that parents teach us, they begin to swear at their parents, parents swear back - and, heaven forbid! Our parents have always used swear words! Those liars!

Anyway, I'm going off the point. ALL swears being censored doesn't outrage me, I just don't see why they should ALL be blanked out or changed. Either way, I'm happy with what's here, with the exception of the 'ass' wordfilter...

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 06:18:16 PM »
Just because people do it doesn't justify the reason that we should too. All cursing is wrong hence the name. A curse is an expression of misfortune on/towards something. It generates a bad influence and shouldn't be allowed at all.

-Gandolf

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 06:23:28 PM »
Just because people do it doesn't justify the reason that we should too. All cursing is wrong hence the name. A curse is an expression of misfortune on/towards something. It generates a bad influence and shouldn't be allowed at all.

-Gandolf

So is "s_hit" a curse?

"S_hit you to hell!"
"God s_hit it."

By your logic, d_amn should be censored and s_hit and other words should be permitted, since s_hit is a descriptive word and not a curse.

"The food tastes s_hitty."
"These old PCs are s_hit and I'm going to throw them away."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:25:58 PM by Mike_Richardson »

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 07:53:11 PM »
Can we stop using the word "curse" please? Lets do it the southern way, and use the word "cuss".

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »
Can we stop using the word "curse" please? Lets do it the southern way, and use the word "cuss".

"D_amn you" is a curse.

"The room is s_hitty" or "You are an a_sshole" is a cuss.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »
Can we quit cussing and cursing? It's disrespectful and I can't stand it. If nothing else I have said means anything to you guys, could you at least respect my wishes?

The Gmg and Sc forums are just about the only forums I visit anymore. The Online Gaming Core(OGC) is a programmer forum and was ran over by perverts and sex. XtremeWorld's great old timing members were replaced by immature people who use foul language and can't keep a single project running before giving up.
The Gmg and Sc are the only forums I have left, I won't let them go.

-Gandolf

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 09:54:32 PM »
If it offends you, I won't swear in my posts in response directly to you. I can live with that very easily.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »
Using curse words in general offends me. It shows what a low grade the speaker is. Curse words were created for expressing great distaste in a matter. Not to be shrewn about in every sentance, I even know those who use them every other word. Learning to use less and less cursing/cussing will make you look more professional and even widen your vocabulary.
If you are going to use a curse word, save them for when you really will need it because they are some of the strongest words in the English language.
You guys will probably never hear one from me because I will most likely never have a need for them.

-Gandolf

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 10:57:20 PM »
Using curse words in general offends me. It shows what a low grade the speaker is. Curse words were created for expressing great distaste in a matter. Not to be shrewn about in every sentance, I even know those who use them every other word. Learning to use less and less cursing/cussing will make you look more professional and even widen your vocabulary.
If you are going to use a curse word, save them for when you really will need it because they are some of the strongest words in the English language.
You guys will probably never hear one from me because I will most likely never have a need for them.

-Gandolf

Again, particular words are only "low grade" because a group of people decided they should be. Otherwise, it's meaningless. For example, on UK TV, certain expletives are used freely which would be censored in the States and vice-versa.

Filters should be available on the client side, not the server side, however that is not possible with any known version of YaBB or in fact any other forum software. You would be able to choose to censor any words you don't wish to see while the rest of us can read the posts undisturbed.