Topic:   Descriptions on downloads   (Read 11569 times)

jeremymaharg

• GMG Newbie

• Jeremymaharg Software
Descriptions on downloads
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »
On the old archived GMG, I noticed that each downloadable file had its own page rather than just being a list. Making the game links go to a dedicated page before offering the actual link would allow a very detailed description area, and allow other information that would be too tedious to mention all on one line (such as system requirements).
[url=http://

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

Re: Descriptions on downloads
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 04:07:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion-- I'll take that into consideration. Right now I'm working on a better layout for the downloads. As you can see, I added screenshots, and I'm working on improving the layout to include descriptions.

I'm thinking that, instead of a separate page, a window should pop-up with all the details and a download link. After a few more improvements to the GMG backend, I'll get working on that.

Cheers!
Ghost

EDIT: I've created a separate section called 'Suggestions' for posts like these. Thank you once again for the comment, and I'll be sure to get working on it when I have a spare moment!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 04:09:24 PM by admin »

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 05:31:39 PM »
Ghost, you are amazing. The GMG is now in my top 5 sites. Give yourself a pat on the back for being so amazing. Your contribution to the game making community will make an impact not soon to be filled. Awesomeness. This site is awesomeness. 11/10.

P.S. I agree with jeremy, games should have descriptions.

P.P.S Are you funding the contest out of your own pocket? If so, that's very generous of you, and I thank you greatly. It's nice to know that so many GM and SC games will be produced for this sake. The whole contest idea is great! :D

P.P.P.S Keep up the great work!  ;D

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 06:14:34 PM »
I am taking a portion of my ad revenues from other projects, and buying a gift certificate for the winner! I think that this fosters a more competitive environment, and will give us more entries to vote on.

Thank you for the awesome review, Swamp!

- ghost

P.S. If the grand prize is chosen by voters to be a $20 GameMaker registration + $30 of the runner-up prize, and you have GameMaker, you'll get the full value of the runner-up prize.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:30:16 PM by admin »

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »
Anytime ghost, and you deserve it.  ;D

Thanks! Now back to work on that darned game... that darned fun game. Wait until you guys play it... :)

(I have the whole march break, AKA holiday, to work on it, seeing as the contest submission deadline ends just as the march break does. That will give me the time I need to polish my game to a sheen of epic preportions. Your eyes will probably fall out of your head in charred, smoking balls of amazement. If that's not too graphic lol.  ;))

-Swamp
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:51:01 PM by Swampthing »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 02:42:07 AM »
That will give me the time I need to polish my game to a sheen of epic preportions. Your eyes will probably fall you of your head in charred, smoking balls of amazement. If that's not too graphic lol.  ;))

-Swamp
Wow! Charred smoking balls of amazement... I can't wait to play your game! :D Hmmm, I may just have to build a time machine and jump to the finishing date so I can play all the games early. ;D Well, actually... it wouldn't really be early, as I'd have been the one who differed from time's regular flow. And doing so would result in my own game not getting finished, as I'd I've have skipped over the time I have to work on it. Ah, but wait, I could then go back in time in order to gain more time and finish my game just in time! Yes, yes... *pulls out drawing board and Light Speed Implications For Dummies*
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 02:44:16 AM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:07:41 AM »
LOL! That may be my first sig on this site...

ANyway, yeah. Thanks for the compliment, I guess! :)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 07:52:45 AM »
when i submit a game to the downloads, is it uploaded to the gmg server or hotlinked?

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
It's uploaded to the GMG servers, unless it's already hosted on a GMG hosting account, which I believe you have.

- ghost

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 02:52:03 PM »
Ghoooooooosstttt!!! How is the descriptions on downloads coming along? Any future site additions planned yet?

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »
Ghoooooooosstttt!!! How is the descriptions on downloads coming along? Any future site additions planned yet?

The GMG isn't my primary commitment-- this school year is extremely difficult, so I make add-ons here and there when I have time. I'll be slowly adding things like description when I have time, but for example, yesterday I wrote a Python bot that clears out all 0 post count users on the forums.

I can promise you, however, that I won't just abandon the GMG. I'll make sure to keep it active, and if I'm out of town, I'll have someone else take it over.

- Ghost

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 02:59:29 PM »
Ok, sounds great! I'm looking forward to descriptions on downloads - Good luck with your school work!  ;)

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
I know I promised I'd get this done as soon as possible, but this quarter has been very hectic, and taking 2 CS classes has taken away all my free time.

I am, however, excited about the features I've thought of for the 'Downloads' section as it grows. I'll be implementing these around the time that the 2nd GMG Contest begins.

Many of you suggested a pop-up with more game information, such as a description, screenshot, etc. I'll be implementing this for sure.

Another feature will be an AJAX search field, where you just enter any part of the game's name, and it'll automatically filter the list down to games with your search terms. Since the downloads section will be rapidly growing, this will be an efficient way for finding the games you're looking for.

I'll also begin paginating the downloads sections, with about 25 games per page.

GMG Ghost

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 05:21:38 AM »
Sounds Awesome :)

Can you tel me how you do that ajax search field?

EDIT: You could also use a lightbox type window instead of a real popup :P

Mist
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 05:22:51 AM by mistron »
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »
Sounds Awesome :)

Can you tel me how you do that ajax search field?

EDIT: You could also use a lightbox type window instead of a real popup :P

Mist

AJAX focuses around the Javascript XMLHttpRequest. I find the best way to understand AJAX is to look through the W3 AJAX Tutorial.

http://www.w3schools.com/Ajax/default.asp

Ghost