Topic:   Roguesoft RPG Engine?   (Read 78203 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Roguesoft RPG Engine?
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »
Dug out the old code yet again and added two new entity behaviours as well as locks to treasure chests: http://www.mediafire.com/?nqd8ia9xz98jcc8

I really hope I finish a game with this awesome engine sometime.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
I really wish it wasn't using Game Maker because I can't look, and won't it be unable to run on newer macs and such?
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2013, 01:14:11 AM »
It could easily be ported to Processing or Javascript.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2013, 05:28:18 AM »
I got somewhat ported to Javascript last year, but Im so slow at learning things and was frustrated several times during the process. I recall being particularly stumped at trying to port GM's DELAY command.

One day I'll have another whack at it, as it would solve so many problems, interface and code-wise. That being said, I'd love to finish a game with the engine in GM too, to go down in history as GM's most advanced game! ;D

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »
Easiest way to do a Delay command would probably be to use the settimeout function.

Lets say here's psuedo GM code:
Code: [Select]
print "Bomb goes off in:"
delay 0.5
print "3"

Sorta javascript pseudo:
print("Bomb goes off in:");
var stuffToDelay = function() {
    print("3");
};
setTimeout(stuffToDelay,500);

Or a more linear approach:

function setBombOff() {
    print("Bomb goes off in:");
    setTimeout(bombPart2,500);
}
function bombPart2() {
    print("3");
}
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:23:27 PM by Gan »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2013, 03:29:07 AM »
But won't it continue to execute code that comes after the timer call line while it's waiting for the timer to trigger?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2013, 08:21:29 AM »
Yeah, so any code you want to delay has to be separate.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »
Due to being bed-bound with a mild fever, I dug out the old engine to pass time and implemented a day/night feature. Suffice to say it's absolutely awesome, supporting time-cycle specific graphics, event conditions and enemy spawns.

Just thought I'd share my excitement! ;D Anyone else up to much these days?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
Hey Silver! I'm excited to see what you've made.

The GMG has been mostly quiet on the progress side. I'm sure most of the members are doing epic things in secret.

I've been working on an online space game. The engine is proving a challenge to program. So far people can destroy each other. Planet docking and ship customization is next on the list.

I hope you get better.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2013, 08:46:20 AM »
Hey Silver! I'm excited to see what you've made.

Well then, here's a screencast old boy: http://screencast.com/t/s0f329eth

The GMG has been mostly quiet on the progress side. I'm sure most of the members are doing epic things in secret.
Yeah, it sure sleeps in comparison to the glory days. Can you believe it's been almost a decade since we joined?

I've been working on an online space game. The engine is proving a challenge to program. So far people can destroy each other. Planet docking and ship customization is next on the list.
Coolabool! :D What languages are you using these days? You must have pretty much all of them under your belt now, hehe ;D

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2013, 11:31:02 AM »
Well then, here's a screencast old boy: http://screencast.com/t/s0f329eth
Seriously impressive! I especially like the inventory. Easy, good looking, non-cluttery and useful.
You might want to get your hard drive backed up, does sound pretty bad.
I'm really interested in your music. Your games seem so much better cause the musical atmosphere. If you had time, could you make a screencast showing how you make your music?

Yeah, it sure sleeps in comparison to the glory days. Can you believe it's been almost a decade since we joined?
I wish I could go back to the first day I joined. Those were good times.

Coolabool! :D What languages are you using these days? You must have pretty much all of them under your belt now, hehe ;D
I'm using Google Dart for this current project. It's like a mix of Java and Javascript made easier. Also natively runs in the browser.
I got sick of Javascript. Too little structure, hard to catch bugs and no auto-complete. Dart fixes all of that.
You can make anything from games to full web pages using Dart.

I was thinking of remaking the chat box in dart and putting it back up. I'm not sure this place has enough activity to use a chat box though.
Actually I was thinking of re-designing the entire website, including forum in Dart. That'd be a big and entertaining project. It'd definitely kick the look of this place into 2014.

I fear our main problem is that the technologies backing this place are obsolete and that's why we aren't as popular. (GameMaker and SilverCreator)

Edit I'd be so willing to help Al and Mike bring their game makers up to date. I need find a way to communicate with them and convince them I can help.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:34:11 AM by Gan »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2013, 11:57:55 AM »
Ahhh Silver this really takes me back. Looks great! Make moreeeee

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »
I'm really interested in your music. Your games seem so much better cause the musical atmosphere. If you had time, could you make a screencast showing how you make your music?
Sure, I'll try to put something together by the end of the week. Give me a poke if I forget.

I'm using Google Dart for this current project. It's like a mix of Java and Javascript made easier. Also natively runs in the browser.
I got sick of Javascript. Too little structure, hard to catch bugs and no auto-complete. Dart fixes all of that.
Dart sounds great. Is the syntax easy to pick up?

Edit I'd be so willing to help Al and Mike bring their game makers up to date. I need find a way to communicate with them and convince them I can help.
Yeah, I started work on RogueScript way back when, trying to port GM's scripting language into JavaScript, but I didn't get very far with it. I'd still like to resume work sometime.

Ahhh Silver this really takes me back. Looks great! Make moreeeee
Glad to spread the nostalgia. They don't make games like we used to. Or rather, they don't make games like we used to start making and never finish. ;D

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #178 on: December 30, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
Dart sounds great. Is the syntax easy to pick up?
Practically identical, minus some of the confusing Javascript stuff like prototypes.

If you're thinking of continuing the GM to Javascript port, you might consider GM to Dart instead. Dart runs in the browser, same as Javascript and also can be packaged into a Desktop application/game.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
Well the engine looks like it's coming along amazingly well! It's always good to hear from you, Silverwind. I hope you can get it working on newer computers, I was so bummed out when our eMac died and I couldn't use all these programs. I never even finished Quest of Magic.

I'm still occasionally working on the platform game I made with Processing, but Gan was saying it ought to be easy to port to Dart. I might if I have the time, but... I'm probably going to stick with what I'm comfortable with for now.

The other project I have going is a very, very silly Cave Story mod. Normally modding games is difficult, however there's a program called Cave Editor which I picked up right away after looking over Noxid's excellent tutorial/reference and it's incredibly easy to alter the game, there are even total conversion mods out there. I'll probably post that when either make some kind of ending, or if get tired of working on it and I just want to show people my mod.

My current dilemma is reworking my game a bit so it will save and load levels more easily.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/