Topic:   Replayed Supa Pong   (Read 4527 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Replayed Supa Pong
« on: June 14, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »
So I was working on a Javascript pong engine for a website when I decided to crack open Supa Pong and examine the source, but in no time at all I found myself grinding my way through arcade mode. That game is hard! (albeit extremely enjoyable) Anywhoo, I finally managed to beat the last level and thought I'd post a pic of my achievement, as it's rather difficult:

I also composed a remix of level 7's music, which is my favourite track from the game: http://www.mediafire.com/?wtp3w4ja6jok70m

Good old Supa Pong... it never seems to die.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:52:09 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Replayed Supa Pong
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »
That was an incredibly fun game. I think I shall give it another try.

Nice music by the way, I think I enjoy all your pieces. Especially the "Don't Ask Silverwind" song and the QoM battle music.

It's great to see you're still creating. Your graphics, ideas, music, and how you put everything together is just fantastic. In fact, the Supa Pong screen is a marvel in itself!
By the way, where'd you get your desktop background? Looks fairly awesome.

Edit: I didn't find Supa Pong in the game archive so I settled for a game called Rogue Frog. I found the graphics to be appealing, the game play to be exciting and a certain level to be fantastic:

Doesn't take a genius to notice where this level came from. ;)
Needless to say I beat it with a score of 2710.
By the way, I notice the name WoodHaven brought up in many of your games. Who is the person behind this mysterious identity?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:16:32 PM by Gandolf »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:50 AM »
It's great to see you're still creating. Your graphics, ideas, music, and how you put everything together is just fantastic. In fact, the Supa Pong screen is a marvel in itself!
Why thank you good sir! I still love game making and definitely wanna get this Javascript RPG off the ground.

By the way, where'd you get your desktop background? Looks fairly awesome.
It's one of my own:

By the way, I notice the name WoodHaven brought up in many of your games. Who is the person behind this mysterious identity?
Gotta dash, but I'll fill you in later...

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
I loved the cartoon characters in Supa Pong, the way they changed their face when you score on them. I hate Pong, but I've enjoyed Supa Pong a lot more than most GM games. The game mechanics are pretty awesome, saving up you deflection points (For a month I played Supa Pong without knowing about the deflection points thing. Lol.) And the artwork is fantastic. But the music is truly one of the most amazing things about the game. It's the kind of music from games that gets stuck in your head and stays there. It's the best of it's genre that I've ever played.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
Hey your music is always really cool, can I ask what you used to make that remix? I can't seem to find all the cool retro sounds in instruments in my copy of Garage Band. That's exactly what I'm looking for to do the tracks for Light Maze.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 02:48:27 PM »
Hey, I made a pong game in Javascript!  You can check out the source if you want.  http://charlo.gamemakersgarage.com/games/pong.php

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 06:07:52 PM »
Hey your music is always really cool, can I ask what you used to make that remix? I can't seem to find all the cool retro sounds in instruments in my copy of Garage Band. That's exactly what I'm looking for to do the tracks for Light Maze.
Ah, well this track was composed note by note, not with loops. I'm using a custom instrument with the following settings:

As for Woodhaven, he's my oldest friend whome I've not seen nor spoken to in over two years, but shall incidentally be paying a visit to in a fortnight. He doesn't know I'm coming, and I plan to arrive mysteriously at his doorstep one evening and fill him in on all that's happened since leaving the country and becoming a Christian etc.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
Just played this again. Man. Level three was easy, but level 4 was so hard! Speaking of level 4, When did Roguesoft hire Kermit the frog? Kidding. I know that's the Roguesoft frog, but they do look alike.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
Just played this again. Man. Level three was easy, but level 4 was so hard! Speaking of level 4, When did Roguesoft hire Kermit the frog? Kidding. I know that's the Roguesoft frog, but they do look alike.
I thought it was supposed to be kermit!
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
Sadly, no.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
Rogue Frog is actually a cartoon character I've been drawing for years, based off a real life Kermit the Frog soft toy that I used to play with all the time. The quality of the soft toy was particularly bad, bearing only a slight resemblance to Kermit, and as such I considered him a distinct character of his own and named him Herman. Likewise, the wizard in level 2 is based off a poor quality Animal soft toy, also one of my childhood faves. ;D

I still play wacky scenarios with them occasionally. Here's a pic of the whole gang:

As you can see, they're worn with use.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:21:40 PM »
OK well I don't have the exact same version as you but I think I can use analog basic, thanks!
I'll see if I can replicate it. ::)
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/