Topic:   tim=hitler   (Read 10406 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

tim=hitler
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
what? was anyone offended by the disscussion on religion? i thought i was just haveing a fun debate with silverwind, i was genuinly interested in his answers to my questions

apparently tim took it upon himself to end the disscussion on a forum that doesnt have that much activity anyway, what an a*shole

we should continue this on SNET, they allow freedom of speech
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:12:36 PM by EqwanoX »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
Re: tim=hitler
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »
Sooooo petty.

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »
Or you could just use the PM system like me and Gan did a while back (another religious debate).

But I do agree on a different level. You should only take away debates when the flame starts flying. Just because something is controversial, that doesn't mean we can't have a meaningful and intelligent debate about it. For example look at silverwind's posts, I may not agree with him at all but I do respect his opinion because he expresses himself in as calm and reasonable a way as is possible over the internet. If we all tried keeping our posts like that, there would be no problem and no need for intervention - draconian or otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:46:35 PM by x »

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:10:35 PM »
I don't really have an opinion on this.  However, I just want to state one thing: there is no such thing as "freedom of speech" on the internet.  Site administrators can freely dictate what they will and will not allow on their sites.  Once internet users get it in their heads that they can't just say whatever they want, whenever they want and then pull out the "free speech" card when somebody objects to the flamewar they started, things will be a lot smoother.

I didn't read the thread in question (I tired of internet religious debates a year ago - it's pointless) but I'm guessing it was far from a flamewar.  Whatever.  It's the internet.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:59:44 PM »
Heh. That's kinda funny.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:58:04 AM »
Rule from the long gone days of BBS: if you don't want people to argue, swear, flame or disagree with each other, don't run a bulletin board. It will happen regardless and there is very little an admin can do to stop it. In this instance, Tim stepped in and closed thread in question - result of which people are comparing him to Adolf Hitler.

It must suck being an administrator.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 01:16:10 PM »
i was aggrivated cause that wasnt even a flame war, i was just asking questions and silverwind was answering them with no hostility, and i was really interested to see how he answered my questions

my guess is, tim saw something personally offensive to him and deleted my post and in an attempt to seem unbias he deleted everyones posts, it just seems really imature way to handle it

even if there was an argument or flame war on the gmg, whats wrong with that, and if its in a specific topic then whoever is not interested just doesnt have to read the topic

what i meant about snet was that its way more layed back, theres no censorship and flame wars are practically encouraged cause theyre entertaining

i was also aggrivated cause tim deleted my post which took like a half hour to type, edit, and proof read, so i cant just copy and paste it somewhere else now
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:17:19 PM by EqwanoX »

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
See, this is okay because you hate me and think I'm Hitler.

In the case of the other thread, at least one member expressed that the comments were quite hurtful. I've tried to be pretty hands-off when moderating these forums, and have stepped in a few times when (a) someone was blatantly starting a flamewar or (b) when a thread is clearly progressing into something bad. In this case, it was clear that we all have our beliefs, and some members of the forum were trying to convince others that they are right and vice versa. This led to some hateful comments (not saying they were from you Eq) and some aspects that were not tasteful (like framing it as a Science vs Religion thread). That violates two rules of the Trash Talk forum, and therefore the thread was locked.

BRB, need to start a genocide.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
i was aggrivated cause that wasnt even a flame war, i was just asking questions and silverwind was answering them with no hostility, and i was really interested to see how he answered my questions

my guess is, tim saw something personally offensive to him and deleted my post and in an attempt to seem unbias he deleted everyones posts, it just seems really imature way to handle it

even if there was an argument or flame war on the gmg, whats wrong with that, and if its in a specific topic then whoever is not interested just doesnt have to read the topic

what i meant about snet was that its way more layed back, theres no censorship and flame wars are practically encouraged cause theyre entertaining

i was also aggrivated cause tim deleted my post which took like a half hour to type, edit, and proof read, so i cant just copy and paste it somewhere else now

P.S. I am not religious, so I wasn't offended by your questions. However, I am still sensitive of other people's feelings.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 02:16:36 PM »
I was kinda disappointed in Eq's destroyed post as well. They were some really intriguing questions and I would've loved to give my view.

Ah, by the way, 1/2 of the stuff I say is said in a humorous/sarcastic way. Just realize I never really get hurt. I find topics that focus on answering tough questions beneficial to the community, raises awareness, spreads knowledge and insight, makes members active, and potentially can solve.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 06:04:50 PM »
I was kinda disappointed in Eq's destroyed post as well. They were some really intriguing questions and I would've loved to give my view.

Ah, by the way, 1/2 of the stuff I say is said in a humorous/sarcastic way. Just realize I never really get hurt. I find topics that focus on answering tough questions beneficial to the community, raises awareness, spreads knowledge and insight, makes members active, and potentially can solve.

Clearly you're all pissed but I stand by my decision. There were several posts that were violating the Trash Talk Rules. I rarely use my mod power and let almost everything go.

Eq, feel free to use the SilverCreator Forums if you're more comfortable there. That's why there is a link there in the sidebar.

EDIT: Cute wordplay with my name there in your sig. You should try being a bit more original ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:08:03 PM by admin »

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »
Judging from your posts, I seriously doubt you proofread anything.

Again, this is the first time I've "censored" something since, ever?

You'll get over it, I promise.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:15:35 PM by admin »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
Now who's the one flaming people?

EDIT - I'm kind of pissed now too... rarely moderating the board is not an excuse to randomly show up and lock things that have slid in the past. And it's especially not an excuse to edit people's posts to... what? Make a point?

You're the admin and you make the rules, but be consistent! And the editing was uncalled for.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:24:10 PM by WarHampster »

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »
Now who's the one flaming people??
The guy who equated me to Hitler and called me an as*hole?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:24:27 PM by admin »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »
I don't believe it, the admin is returning personal attacks.