Topic:   cancelled projects?   (Read 13719 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

cancelled projects?
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:42:46 AM »
ive had a few cancelled projects like neo 2, terminal dream, and a tactic rpg, and everyone always says theyre working on something and never release it. if you have any projects you never finished post them here , even if theyre incomplete i think everyone would still be interested in checking them out
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:43:31 AM by EqwanoX »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Re: cancelled projects?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:45:59 AM »
Well I release everything I say I am going to release because I finish it. (The only exception was Rokeno but I lost that when my HD died) I don't bother talking about something I am probably going to stop working on.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
ive had a few cancelled projects like neo 2, terminal dream, and a tactic rpg, and everyone always says theyre working on something and never release it. if you have any projects you never finished post them here , even if theyre incomplete i think everyone would still be interested in checking them out
I've always planned to release my Roguesoft folder one day, complete with every project, every graphic, every resource and every note within it for all to dissect. Not today though, I'm to busy to upload all of my unfinished projects. Here's a screenshot of my unfinished projects though:

If you pick out a couple I'll try to post them in the week. :)

I don't bother talking about something I am probably going to stop working on.
Whilst that's certainly a very impressive track record, it's not at all uncommon for developers to accumulate unfinished projects. Veterans will often work and rework an idea spinning dozens of unfinished projects before settling on a final build. Quest of Magic for example was my first polished RPG, but it certainly wasn't my initial vision. My initial vision was a direct sequel to Epicus with an identical engine, but along the way I implemented grid navigation (and the project became Spooky Castle) random enemies and an inventory (Moonfable) and finally enemies on the overworld (Quest of Magic). My goal of an RPG stayed consistent, but the game's overall shape changed as I experimented with various engines, and thus my many unfinished projects.

As creator of Silmar Jeff Mather once told me: "My best advice to you regarding game programming would be to not try to program the entire game at once.  Do it one area (or level) at a time.  The first area will take the longest, unfortunately (as I'm sure you already know by now), but after it's done you can decide whether the game's concept is worth spending more time on, or whether you should start over with something else.  If the game is a keeper, then expand it one full area at a time. The main idea is to reduce the risk of your wasting large amounts of time on ideas that don't pan out.  Also, if you need to quit for some other reason, you'll at least have something working that you can show to others."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:50:57 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
I've always planned to release my Roguesoft folder one day, complete with every project, every graphic, every resource and every note within it for all to dissect. Not today though, I'm to busy to upload all of my unfinished projects. Here's a screenshot of my unfinished projects though:

If you pick out a couple I'll try to post them in the week. :)
nice, i'll be looking foward to that, i been meaning to ask you for moonfable, i deleted it by accident, i kind of liked that concept better than qom for the large overworld map and enemy art. however seeing enemies navigate the map themselves in qom blew my mind, that was impressive

a racing game? that looks interesting,, ide like to see that

As creator of Silmar Jeff Mather once told me: "My best advice to you regarding game programming would be to not try to program the entire game at once.  Do it one area (or level) at a time.  The first area will take the longest, unfortunately (as I'm sure you already know by now), but after it's done you can decide whether the game's concept is worth spending more time on, or whether you should start over with something else.  If the game is a keeper, then expand it one full area at a time. The main idea is to reduce the risk of your wasting large amounts of time on ideas that don't pan out.  Also, if you need to quit for some other reason, you'll at least have something working that you can show to others."
thats good advice, its easy to get carried away but you have to remember the most important thing is that making the game has to be FUN and when you keep adding features it can be daunting (and youll end up like redd, hes remade gigan so many times and yet theres only like 2 builds, and his last update was of menus... menus! who cares about menus, what about the game), you have to keep things in check, keeping it simple is more fun and finishing it is even better, then you have the experience to take on better features. this is why its so annoying when people who never made anything before want to make a tactic rpg, its always tactic rpgs.... (i think redd was converting gigan to tactics gamplay too, redd just relaease gigan as an unfinished project) ::)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:23:39 PM by EqwanoX »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:47:55 PM »
Believe it or not I actually got some work done on "WarHampster's Game" before letting it fall into the mists of time, but that is never getting released. Other than that I made some stuff a really long time ago (like before I joined here) when I was learning SC... it's all on the hard drive of my old mac, which is lying gutted in my room.

I don't know if I talked about this here (maybe Silver knows?) but for a while I was doing art, animation, and programming for personal project of a programmer and designer at Firaxis. They lost interest, but I don't think I can release that unfortunately.  

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 03:35:51 PM »
Many many many things.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »
i been meaning to ask you for moonfable, i deleted it by accident,
Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?c3zzxh2bjn3

It's both the incomplete never released update and the original never released adventure version.

i kind of liked that concept better than qom for the large overworld map and enemy art.
Yeah, MF still has a special place in my heart. Right between my Tricuspid Valve and Chordae Tendineae.

I don't know if I talked about this here (maybe Silver knows?)
Aye, Silver always knows what's happening in his beloved indie game dev community. He's heard the rumours about TD's secret project. He's seen the sprites Gnome makes in-game credits with. He knows how old Jadaco's rough concept work pencils are and, yes, he knows about Hammy's commission with Firaxis. ;)

EDIT:

Although amazingly, I was the last person to hear about the supposed V7. I was reading through a post by TD in which he mentioned it and I initially thought it was a mistype, but when I realised he was serious I checked the calendar under suspicion that the forum was somehow in the future. ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:51:17 PM by Silverwind »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 11:16:12 PM »
V7 ended up being V6.2
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 05:54:01 AM »
V7 ended up being V6.2
Yeah, its certainly debatable. Personally I don't regard it as an update at all, as the routine handling navigation hasn't changed. It's a very cool engine though. :)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
(are we talking about the sc or gm version?)

v7 has potential, i never finished it, with sprite sheets it would be much better, personally i would much rather use v6. but if you have simple maps v7 is the way to go, its more for beginners that either dont have photoshop or dont have the patients to learn to make maps
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:30:33 AM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:41:31 AM »
Yeah, but I think you're missing my point. V6 is an abbreviation for "Grid Navigation Engine Version 6", whereas the routine you introduced in V7 handles map rendering.

Don't get me wrong, I love it to bits, but it's an entirely different engine. How about naming it DMR? (Dynamic Map Rendering)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:45:19 AM by Silverwind »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »
They're just different ways of making your man move around the screen and bump into stuff  ::)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 07:08:44 AM »
No, no it's not, that's entirely my point! ;D V6 makes your man move around the screen and bump into stuff, but V7 merely draws the room's graphics with sprites (or IMAGEFILE in GM). It's an entirely different engine!

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 12:56:02 PM »
moon fable still holds up, do you have the maps? i was thinking of porting it to sc. i noticed thers a ton of unused enemies in the sourse! i cant believe you didnt finish expanding on it
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:57:04 PM by EqwanoX »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 02:07:19 PM »
Unused enemies you say? Well that could be useful indeed. What kind of enemies are they?