Topic:   Today at Cupertino, murder!   (Read 5928 times)

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
Re: Today at Cupertino, murder!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 07:50:36 PM »
Actually, doing a bit of reading here... Apple not allowing third party API's on any of their platforms is illegal under EU anti-monopoly law. This App Store bullshit is nothing to worry about. Hopefully.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »
I think you might be going a little overboard here Telstar.  The reason Apple could get away with making the app store the only way to get apps for the iPhone, is because there was only a small existing base of apps and few developers to complain.  If Apple, for some sick reason, decided to make the app store the only way to get apps for the mac, there would be thousands of developers instantaneously infuriated, probably to the point where they would no longer develop apps for the mac.  The mac would instantly and indisputably become the "idiot's" computer, a title it already carries somewhat.

One plus side of this proposed app store is that it will reach a lot of users who otherwise don't give a darn about third-party applications.  Most mac users (and computer users in general) just use the internet and word-processing.  I think many shareware developers will welcome this opportunity to increase their revenue.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 12:03:40 AM »
I don't think apple would make a huge mistake by limiting the Mac to only be able to get apps by some app store. They would lose too many users.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »
 Quick question to prevent doing some extra reading:
WHERE did anyone hear that the the Mac App Store would prevent you from downloading software normally? If anything they did it to encourage developing programs for Mac computers.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/