Topic:   OS questions   (Read 3027 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

OS questions
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:22:51 PM »
whats the newest mac capable of running native os9?

can i put windows 95 on my intel mac?

is there any way to run os9 on anything post 10.3, also ide like to have os7 available, is mini vmac easy enough for me?

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
Re: OS questions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 12:19:50 AM »
whats the newest mac capable of running native os9?

The Dual 1.25 GHz G4 Tower is the fastest Mac capable of running OS 9. You have to get the special OS 9 version though (the one without FireWire 800).

OS 9 does not use dual processors effectively though. My OS 9 Mac is an older G4 but it has a 1.8 GHz G4 upgrade, so it's faster than a Dual 1.25 GHz.

can i put windows 95 on my intel mac?

Not directly. Use Q/QEMU to run Windows 95, it's a free virtualization program.

is there any way to run os9 on anything post 10.3, also ide like to have os7 available, is mini vmac easy enough for me?

Well - no computer that came with Tiger (10.4) can also run OS 9 natively, but Tiger does support the Classic Environment on PPC Macs. Many computers that came with 10.2/10.3 can run Tiger and OS 9 in a dual boot.

Mini vMac does not have color and is probably not good enough. Basilisk II is pretty good, you can run it on your G5 or Intel (it emulates an old 68K Mac). SheepShaver emulates PPC, but it's a lot buggier. The 8500 Mac you bought can run System 7.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:54:31 PM »

Mini vMac does not have color and is probably not good enough. Basilisk II is pretty good, you can run it on your G5 or Intel (it emulates an old 68K Mac). SheepShaver emulates PPC, but it's a lot buggier. The 8500 Mac you bought can run System 7.
yea, it turns out the system 7.5 cd is actually just the system cd that came with the 6300 which only works on the 6300 and not on the 8500

a strange thing i have to check on, i could have sworn the 6300 was 68k but the case says powerPC?

i have serious trouble figureing out how to run basilisk, the interface is confuseing, i cant find a "quadra650.rom" file to download, and i just have no idea what to do or how it works, i tryed finding a tutorial on youtube but i can only find tutorials for windows and not osx. i cant believe how f*ckin complicated this is, i just wanna play gangwars, i may recreate it in sc at some point, it wouldnt be difficult. i attempted to recreate it in 1.5 as a minigame in stans world 2 which didnt come out that good, but now i can recreate it flawlessly in 2.0 with v7

can i install os9 on my emac that has 10.5?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:02:52 PM by EqwanoX »

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 11:17:30 PM »
a strange thing i have to check on, i could have sworn the 6300 was 68k but the case says powerPC?

Easy way to know if old Macs are 68k or PPC. 3 numbers are 68k. 4 numbers are PPC.

Example:
500 series, 600 series, 800 series, etc are 68k Macs.
6200 series, 6300 series, etc are PPC Macs.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:10:21 AM »
Here's the Quadra 650 ROM you can use with Basilisk.

http://www.redundantrobot.com/macemulator/Quad650.zip

I have Basilisk II on my G5, with System 7 already installed. I could compress the disk image and upload it for you, that would save some time.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »
Here's the Quadra 650 ROM you can use with Basilisk.

http://www.redundantrobot.com/macemulator/Quad650.zip

I have Basilisk II on my G5, with System 7 already installed. I could compress the disk image and upload it for you, that would save some time.
yea that would be much easier, i would think they would already do this so people like me can actually use it