Topic:   They Found Noah's Ark   (Read 9413 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
They Found Noah's Ark
« on: April 28, 2010, 03:40:47 PM »
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100428/video/vwl-explorers-claim-noah-s-ark-found-on-15af341.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/28/2884687.htm

Or is it just a 5,000 year old Sherpa's front door? Only time and a bunch of Turkish presbyterian excavators will tell, although I vote against the later for two reasons:

1 For whatever reason they're positive the timber belonged to a ship, and who'd build a ship on the summit of a mountain?
2 Sherpas live in Napal.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:32:49 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Charlo

• GMG-er

Re: They Found Noah's Arc
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »
Sherpa is a term used to describe a Nepalese ethnic group, but it also a general term for a mountain guide.  So there could very well be Sherpas in Turkey, just not ethnic ones.   :D

I am skeptical of this, but we'll see how it turns out.  I suppose if they did determine that the wood is part of a ship, it would bolster a lot of Christians and Jews.  I think that they should get some impartial archaeologists up there, since it's not impossible that the current ones are just seeing what they want to see.

And not to be combative, but I don't think that the recovery of a ship off a mountaintop would prove anything about the validity of the rest of the Bible (some of the more vocal, self-assured Christians would try to make it out that way).  There are plenty of established historical facts in the Bible, and the addition of Noah's flood to that list wouldn't change much.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:10:14 PM by Charlo »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:06:32 PM »
Sherpa is a term used to describe a Nepalese ethnic group, but it also a general term for a mountain guide.  So there could very well be Sherpas in Turkey, just not ethnic ones.   :D
My joke has lost. Logic... has won the day! ;D

I am skeptical of this, but we'll see how it turns out.
Me too, though I'm not sure why. The date results are surprising, but there's growing controversy over the carbon process.

I suppose if they did determine that the wood is part of a ship, it would bolster a lot of Christians and Jews. I think that they should get some impartial archaeologists up there, since it's not impossible that the current ones are just seeing what they want to see.
Oh come now, that's character accusing for the sake of it. ::) They wanted timber, they got timber. Personally I won't be convinced 'til they drag up a few skeletal farm animals (contrary to popular belief they had seven of those you know!)

And not to be combative, but I don't think that the recovery of a ship off a mountaintop would prove anything about the validity of the rest of the Bible (some of the more vocal, self-assured Christians would try to make it out that way). There are plenty of established historical facts in the Bible, and the addition of Noah's flood to that list wouldn't change much.
Wouldn't change what much? Are you implying you don't believe in God?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 05:31:29 PM by Silverwind »

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:32:09 PM »
It wouldn't change the standing of Christianity or Judaism much.  The media would make it out to be a groundbreaking thing, but objectively, it wouldn't change anybody's opinion about anything.  It would just be a neat historical discovery, another thing to add to the archaeologic archives.

And no, I don't believe in God, but that's totally irrelevant in this discussion.   ;D

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »
Aww. I'd be kinda sad and depressed if I didn't believe in God...
No hope for what comes after life... just despair.
Live, die, gone.
All achievements worthless. There'd be nothing to strive for because in this infinite expanse of time we call eternity nothing in this world will last.(Not even the world will last)
I guess the only thing we could strive for is to be happy. Though happiness can sometimes be dampened by the thought of it all being gone. You being gone. Me being gone...
Though with believing in God, there brings hope. We won't just be nothing with our entire entities snuffed in the blink of an eye.
Instead if you believe in God you can live your life in happiness with the feeling of guaranteed safety.

In the end, if the believer dies and it turns out he was wrong...  he loses nothing. Still led a happy and fulfilling life.
In the end, if the non-believer dies and it turns out he was wrong... he loses everything.

Who knows, could be the ark. Entirely possible.

-Gan

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:28:32 PM »
;D
Arc = curved line
Ark = massive boat
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: They Found Noah's Ark
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:34:26 PM »
Whoops! Fixed, and what may I ask prompted you to centre that smily?

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »
Just thought it'd look better.
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:26:08 AM »
I don't believe in god or the bible. If there is a huge ship up there, it only proves a huge ship is up there.
I'm an atheist. I try to respect everybody's choice of religion. In my opinion there isn't a right or wrong way to believe. It's more about the morals of life. Most religions teach people what's right and wrong. And, in my twisted mind, heaven and hell represent good vs evil.

Oh and Gandolf. A non-believer doesn't necessarily think there is no life after death. I for one am not sure if there is a heaven like place or not. Such thing could exist without a creator. Even reincarnation could be true for all we know.

May I add that although I am atheist I am overly interested in Greek and Roman mythologie? Kinda ironic, isn't it.
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:01:35 AM »
I don't believe in god or the bible. If there is a huge ship up there, it only proves a huge ship is up there.
That is, unless there's some evidence such as historical documents...
I'm an atheist. I try to respect everybody's choice of religion. In my opinion there isn't a right or wrong way to believe. It's more about the morals of life.
Yeah, many believe this and I think it causes problems. Hitler for one. When there's not a definite right and wrong people can make their own rules. They aren't accountable to anyone. The columbine incident is also another one. Two teenage guys claimed that they could do whatever they want because in the end it didn't matter because of what they learned in school with evolution and such.
Most religions teach people what's right and wrong. And, in my twisted mind, heaven and hell represent good vs evil.
Your mind's not twisted, just intuitive. In a sense Heaven does represent good and Hell represents evil. Sin can't enter Heaven so must be sent to Hell.

Oh and Gandolf. A non-believer doesn't necessarily think there is no life after death. I for one am not sure if there is a heaven like place or not. Such thing could exist without a creator. Even reincarnation could be true for all we know.
Indeed. All these beliefs we have don't have concrete evidence. By concrete I mean in your face proof. Though I guess the only thing you can do to find the truth is question. Question what everyone believes. For me, I've found the Christianity and the Bible have the most historical evidence out of all other religions. Not only that but Christianity has one huge distinction. God died for us. We didn't have to sacrifice ourselves or children to get in heaven, instead God came to us and gave himself. In the form of Jesus.

May I add that although I am atheist I am overly interested in Greek and Roman mythologie? Kinda ironic, isn't it.
Ironic? No way. Greek and Roman mythology is some pretty neat stuff. Though it provides no evidence to uphold it's beliefs.

-Gan

Redd

• GMG-er

• Silent, but very, very deadly.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 09:05:58 AM »
Aww. I'd be kinda sad and depressed if I didn't believe in God...
No hope for what comes after life... just despair.
Live, die, gone.
All achievements worthless. There'd be nothing to strive for because in this infinite expanse of time we call eternity nothing in this world will last.(Not even the world will last)
I guess the only thing we could strive for is to be happy. Though happiness can sometimes be dampened by the thought of it all being gone. You being gone. Me being gone...
Though with believing in God, there brings hope. We won't just be nothing with our entire entities snuffed in the blink of an eye.
Instead if you believe in God you can live your life in happiness with the feeling of guaranteed safety.
I do believe in [a] god, but not an afterlife.
Even so, what's the use? I wouldn't have goals to achieve or dreams to believe in.

What would you do in your afterlife during that eternity?

In the end, if the believer dies and it turns out he was wrong...  he loses nothing. Still led a happy and fulfilling life.
In the end, if the non-believer dies and it turns out he was wrong... he loses everything.
I doubt this god of yours would be such a hypocrite that he'd prioritize belief over the good I've done in my life.

Who knows, could be the ark. Entirely possible.
I'm more inclined to believe it was a Sumerian shrine or something of the sort, especially since the explorers (not archeologists) were evangelical.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 11:26:30 AM »
I do believe in [a] god, but not an afterlife.
Even so, what's the use? I wouldn't have goals to achieve or dreams to believe in.
A god without an afterlife, how unique.

What would you do in your afterlife during that eternity?
Anything and everything. :)

I doubt this god of yours would be such a hypocrite that he'd prioritize belief over the good I've done in my life.
You my good sir are mistaken. Doing good won't keep you from Heaven but doing bad will. If you've ever done something bad(sinned) then you can't go to Heaven. Unless you repented of your sins through Jesus Christ who died so you could go to Heaven. Though you must ask for forgiveness.

I'm more inclined to believe it was a Sumerian shrine or something of the sort, especially since the explorers (not archeologists) were evangelical.
Entirely a possibility.

-Gan
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:28:31 AM by Gandolf »

Redd

• GMG-er

• Silent, but very, very deadly.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 01:17:35 PM »
A god without an afterlife, how unique.
A "superior being" if you will.

You my good sir are mistaken. Doing good won't keep you from Heaven but doing bad will. If you've ever done something bad(sinned) then you can't go to Heaven. Unless you repented of your sins through Jesus Christ who died so you could go to Heaven. Though you must ask for forgiveness.
It still boils down to belief. And above all else you're saying one slip compared to a thousand good deeds will send me straight to hell? Much better. :)

Though back on topic:
It could be a boat or ship of some sort. I've skimmed through some literature to find the Sumerians have a flood myth similar to that of the Bible. Only the gods were pissed at mankind because of one man who was the one to build that boat and survive the flood.

I wonder if the Mayans or Aztecs have any similar tales.

And to think we'd be tired of floods by now.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:28:36 PM by Redd »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 06:45:10 PM »
A "superior being" if you will.
I'm a bit confused. Did the god make everything? Why not an afterlife?

It still boils down to belief. And above all else you're saying one slip compared to a thousand good deeds will send me straight to hell? Much better.
I guess it's just what you mean by good. Also by slip up. Good in God's eyes is sharing the good news, bringing someone to Christ...  Helping an elderly across the street is good but it's not going to get you into Heaven. Everything God says is good is contained within the 10 commandments and further out through the Bible. Though everyone messes up. If I... lets say I cheat on a test because I played video games instead of studying, that's a sin. It's wrong. Though if I ask for forgiveness seriously and sincerely with my whole intent on fixing my problem; Jesus takes away my sin. I'm wiped clean.

-Gan

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:18:56 PM »
So if the ten commandments are the standard for who goes to heaven and who goes to hell lets name a few.
Thou shalt not lie. Ok if I mess up on this one even once thats a violation of the law. If the law is law then if I break it even once thats it I am a liar and have to pay the price for that sin (Eternal Suffering in hell, not my idea of a good way to spend eternity)
We got a few others like
 Thou shalt not steal (remember it doesn't matter how valuable the item is if you stole it you stole it and must pay the penalty)
 Thou shalt not commit Adultery (In Matthew Chapter 5 it is explained that if you even look at someone with lust it is committing adultery in your heart and thats a violation)
 Thou shalt not Murder (Again in Matthew it is explained that if you even hate someone it is the same as killing them)
Maybe its just me or it seems really hard to keep all these commandments. I messed up a long time ago and for some reason no matter how hard I try I still can't stop messing up (I try really hard, its controlling my mind I have the hardest time with)
Well now does the good you do have any effect on the bad you do. Hmm, how many truths do I have to tell before I make up for the Lie I told? Well, how many lives do I have to save before I make up for the person I murdered?

Well I wouldn't consider myself to be a good person by those standards. They are way high. So assuming there is an eternity (aka Heaven and Hell) if I'm not a good person where am I going? So by this logic I'll be spending eternity in hell.   That didn't sound good to me to I repented of my sins, asked God for forgiveness, and try to spend as much time as I can saving others from the fate I once had.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.