Topic:   good games   (Read 7669 times)

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
Re: good games
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »
If you're a mage or an archer, than Oblivion basically is a shooter. Oblivion is only good if you mod it heavily, the vanilla game is boring and unbalanced IMO.

j

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 12:30:18 PM »
Fallout 3, to me, was kind of the biggest thing this generation because of its successful combination of RPG/FPS. I couldn't get into Oblivion, but I feel like I understand the appeal of it through my like of Fallout 3 (which, with the FPS element added, feels like a better realization of what Oblivion aimed to achieve). And as I think somebody already said above, the expansions for it just make it even better.

Other than that, I don't feel like many RPGs have especially stood out this generation. And again, I don't know if you're specific to one system.

For PS3, there's been Eternal Sonata and Demon's Souls (the latter has especially stood out). I thought Folklore was alright and fairly unique, but that hasn't gotten a lot of attention.

For Xbox 360, I'm sure some people got into Star Ocean 4, but I personally didn't. Fable 2 got good reviews. Then there's Mass Effect, and the newly released Mass Effect 2. I can't speak personally for any of these games, because I don't have a 360, but they're the titles I've noticed from across the way.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:30:40 PM by Jadaco »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 02:18:26 PM »
I don't play much in the way of games anymore, but those of the modern generation that I have played don't appeal to me as much as eighties style RPGs. I think the graphics do allot to dissuade me: there's nothing left to the imagination anymore. As much as I enjoy battling beautifully drawn minotaurs in Oblivion I far prefer battling the evil knights in Golden Axe. The knights are scarier too.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 02:19:11 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 06:35:42 PM »
they did a remake of golden axe for ps2, along with a few other games like outrun and its all in 3d and has a newer game engine with similar aspects from the original golden axe, i reallly enjoyed it. oldschool arcade action, nothing to over-the- top

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
Silver - have you tried Daggerfall? Bethesda released it for free, it's basically Morrowind/ Oblivion with retro graphics and a huge randomly generated world.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 06:05:08 PM »
Wow! I've never even heard of it. What system does it run on?
I survived the spammage of 2007

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »
DOS, you need to use an emulator to run it correctly. Download and instructions for setting it up are here: http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 10:08:03 PM »
DOS, you need to use an emulator to run it correctly. Download and instructions for setting it up are here: http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm

Luckily, I stumbled upon this:
http://www.boxerapp.com/
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.