Topic:   text adventure   (Read 10733 times)

Grandelspiersky

• GMG Newbie

• Overly friendly bastard?
text adventure
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »
Yeah so I'm not sure what the difference is between this forum and Silvernetworks, but anyways, I'm making a text adventure with not much experience. So I might frequently have a question or two and it would be great to have some help.

I was wondering if anyone might know of a text adventure already made in silvercreator or gmaker that I might use as a template. Peace

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: text adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:34:10 PM »
Welcome to the boards. :)

Check out the text adventure template me and Al wrote for GM. It's in GM's Sample Code folder, included with the app download.

And here's a text adventure I made last April: http://www.mediafire.com/?honhi5mzd33
I survived the spammage of 2007

Grandelspiersky

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »
O sweet thanks. Alright I thought I might just throw this out there, but is there any command that lets a variable have multiple values? THat would be so helpful. that way "north" "n" "go n" would all mean the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:20:42 PM by masterpeez »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 01:00:06 AM »
I think everyone posts on both boards, although the Plaza forums are the "official" SilverCreator forums and have been running in one form or another for almost 10 years.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:52:09 AM »
is there any command that lets a variable have multiple values? THat would be so helpful. that way "north" "n" "go n" would all mean the same thing.

No, but what you can do is create a command setting routine that will do it for you. In the GameMaker text adventure sample, after the input code, there is this:

IF command$ = "NORTH" THEN command$ = "N"
IF command$ = "GO NORTH" THEN command$ = "N"
IF command$ = "SOUTH" THEN command$ = "S"
IF command$ = "GO SOUTH" THEN command$ = "S"
IF command$ = "EAST" THEN command$ = "E"
IF command$ = "GO EAST" THEN command$ = "E"
IF command$ = "WEST" THEN command$ = "W"
IF command$ = "GO WEST" THEN command$ = "W"

That way if the player types N, or NORTH, or GO NORTH they will all be set to the same N input. That way you only have to check for N anywhere else. The same for the other commands.

Grandelspiersky

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »
Yeah thats what I ended up doing. Wasn't too time consuming.

I think everyone posts on both boards, although the Plaza forums are the "official" SilverCreator forums and have been running in one form or another for almost 10 years.

Yeah I was really into silvercreator when I was 12, 5 years ago.

alias

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 08:06:58 PM »
This forum is more broad in its scope. Welcome, im not fluent in sc so I mazy nto be able to help.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:03:46 PM »
another way would be to make an array for each command and then a FOR loop that checks if command$ matches any of the entries. (i.e. if there is a match in the array for go north then that's the command)
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Grandelspiersky

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »
Yeah that would work. I already have it finished though. Ight. I'm almost done with the engine. I might post a VERY mini game I've made in the process of writing the engine.  I can't promise it would be interesting.

I finished the engine and have begun starting the real deal. I have this mini game that has nothing to do with what I'm working on other then that its the same engine. As long as you don't take the pokeball you should be fine.
The Pathetically crude imitation of what appears to be the remains of some sort of interactive fiction.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:10:49 PM by masterpeez »

Grandelspiersky

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:15:14 PM »
Hey! This thread won't bump up with my edit! Don't mind this blatantly self-conceited post that merely tries to draw attention to the editing of my last post.  8)

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 11:44:46 AM »
i fell off a cliff and then i got home. pretty neat
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.