Poll

I'm not sure how to delete this pole.

Ok, cool.
0 (0%)
That's lame.
0 (0%)
Alright, you're kindof stupid.
2 (100%)
I don't care, I'm just here for the free cake.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Topic:   Retro games   (Read 315155 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Re: Retro games
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »
Cool! We're at 1.8.9 now? Only one more version 'til 1.9!
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »
Nice sprites, Connors. Either you or Eq can do a boss-sprite. I have some boss-map ideas. Is there a way to have it when the player walks into a certain area, cut to a scene or something. For boss levels, the goal should appear after the boss is dead, along with several powerups. Like in gauntlet.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2011, 07:30:43 PM »
Nice sprites, Connors. Either you or Eq can do a boss-sprite. I have some boss-map ideas. Is there a way to have it when the player walks into a certain area, cut to a scene or something. For boss levels, the goal should appear after the boss is dead, along with several powerups. Like in gauntlet.
yea that would be easy. post the map then seperately post the lines of the map that are changed, JUST the lines that are changed no need for the whole map

thats a good animation, i added it and found the reason why sprite rotation isnt supported. recreateing a rotated sprite doesnt update the mask, so im waiting on mike to see what he can do. but as far as i can tell it doesnt seem to slow down to much
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:31:17 PM by EqwanoX »

webmaster804

• GMG Newbie

• panda dance!
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »
hey guys would it be ok if i made a level?
 i have some ideas
also you should start with lives this is one of the only games ive played where you start at zero just sayin
"For future reference, Harry, it is raspberry...although of course, if I were a Death Eater, I would have been sure to research my own jam preferences before impersonating myself."
-Albus Dumbledore

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »
A bit of advice from someone who has played a lot of really good and really bad arcade games:
Try to keep the normal (not boss) levels from becoming too repetitive. Throw in some tricks, like perhaps an exit door on one level that lets out a few more zombies you have to kill/avoid to move on. The good thing about SC is you can do these things easily because you can put in unique code on each card.
OOH or how about a level with a key card inside an airlock so you have to close the outside door before opening the inside door or you get sucked out into space* and die rather hilariously. At least it's hilarious to the designers anyways.
Oh and yes Webmaster, I think they said anyone can submit maps and ideas.

*Technically you'd be pushed out. The so-called suction is from the air pressure on board escaping.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:56:07 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #185 on: May 05, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
Yeah, web's got a point. not many games start with 0 lives.
Knowing him, he'll make some pretty good levels. He's creative like that.
I like the vacuum idea. We'll need to add something that says to do that first though.
Web also had an idea to add the menu and a game over screen (with a retry button of course), for letting people test it. I imagine it's quite annoying to have to quit an app and run again every time you die.

How about save points, were you go back to if you run out of lives, and you can save. Like some sort of machine in game that saves your game and heals you when you walk over it. It'd only have to do this after a boss level, or after a really long set of levels. It should be challenging, but it's a little harsh to make a player start over the entire game after every death. I understand that's what the lives are for.

How about adding a survival mode, where zombies, ammo, armor, and bombs all spawn forever until you die. You would have one life only, and (If SC can do this, I don't know about it's online functions) try to get a high score online.

Also, maybe some difficulty levels. These would determine starting lives, zombie spawn rate, number of onscreen zombies at a time, and health.

Ok, that's it.
-zoo

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #186 on: June 04, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »
AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaand it's stopped.

- Tim Rogers

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #187 on: June 05, 2011, 07:32:40 PM »
well, duh. It's a group project.
No matter how awesome they are, they are doomed to fail.
We should have left it in Trash Talk.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2011, 10:54:58 AM »
Hey, is this ready for level design, or are we adding any new features? I'd love to have this done by the end of summer, but I'm a bit of a dreamer. I sure hope this does get finished. I'd hate for an awesome thing like this to go to waste. Ah, yes, we were working on the boss part.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
Okay here's the deal:
I can't really help you guys out on level design and boss programming because my computer runs it at 2-6 FPS. But if you just give me an idea of what the boss is/the size of the sprites I can put together some graphics. Or if you send me a basic drawing I'll be glad to help touch it up.
And I might look into the airlock puzzle on my own, that's not as hard to test.

- Tim Rogers

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #190 on: June 25, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
Yeah, and can we make it so each level has it's own spawn rate? Or is it already like that? I don't remember. What version are we on? 1.8.9?
An airlock puzzle, eh Connors? That's a neat idea. Sure you can help with level design, just post your level here, and we'll test it for you.
I'll be making more levels as soon as we know that it's done.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »
Sure thing. Is Eq still alive? It's his game. I can't make all the choices about levels and stuff, but I'd work on a few designs for a King Zombie. He could break up into smaller zombies once you defeat him, or he could spawn little zombies at you, if just killing him isn't hard enough. I didn't read your post wrong, by the way. I still think you can do level design, and I'll test your levels, and tell you how they work. Or compile them, so you could test them on a friend's P.C. or at the library or your school or something.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
Wait, did you delete your post while I was typing? Or did my mind just make it up?

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
I thought they changed it so that zombie's spawns are marked on the map. And I guess I can work on levels but you guys can modify them if you need to! I might not realize it's too hard or too easy. What's your plan for lives/saving? We don't have to recycle a system we've seen. The real point of lives or health is that you are punished for repeated mistakes. You could even have more frequent save points or health pickups and remove lives altogether.

- Tim Rogers

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »
Yeah, if Eq ever comes back, he should probably make savepoints and such.