Topic:   Roguesoft RPG Engine?   (Read 78770 times)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
Re: Roguesoft RPG Engine?
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2010, 11:28:46 PM »
More accurately, the limit is 32767 characters of code. Al has it set as a line limit though because that's easier to track. He could change it to 32767 characters per script, if you had mostly short lines.

The limit has to do with the length limit for an old style Carbon text field which used a signed 16-bit integer. GM 4.0 will use newer-style stuff and won't have the limitation anymore.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:31:23 PM by Mike_Richardson »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
Hurrah, hurray! The inventory system is complete (almost; I still have to write a routine for available slot checking when un-equiping an item, but that won't take long). Anyways, here's a new beta: http://www.mediafire.com/?yrgj1m0hmy3

Once again I recorded all of the sounds myself using only my voice, with the exception of the Unequip Item sound, for which I squeezed a box of paper clips and the Treasure Chest sound, which is my office door opening.

Yippeeeee! Can't wait to make Epicus II! ;D
I survived the spammage of 2007

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2010, 10:25:24 AM »
This is awesome I wish I had done it. I wonder how it would look in rokeno? Hmm. Nevermind.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »
By all means use it. :) The code is very clunky and uncommented because I forgot most of it as I wrote it, but you're free to use it.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »
thats amazing, my head just exploded. to me, the inventory system is the most covetted feature in homebrew games, now i have to catch up and update my rpg engine

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »
I've decided to do the readme in the form of video tutorials. They'll cover everything involved in making a game from start to finish.

Once I've recorded them I'll be ready to release the engine! ;D

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
That will help me understand it. I find actually going through all that code too much to do so I don't even start. Making a video tutorial will allow me to manipulate the code to do what I want it to. BTW have you inserted things such as moving on to another screen or entering houses?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »
Gasp! You can travel to adjacent rooms by walking off the map, but I completely forgot about portals! :o I'll cram it in somehow.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »
i cant use items?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:02:02 PM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2010, 04:08:45 PM »
Alas no, I only got around to equipment. Although that's completely finished. :)

I actually did add a rough healing item routine before I last halted work, but I've just revisited it now and I don't like the way it displays the heal amount via percentages. :P Far too textish, I'll go back and do it with sprites or something later.

Here's the update though if you're interested (only a slight update): http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=41bf6bec539742b77069484bded33bcd62405dbebf88b2f6

I really have to get back to it.

EDIT:

Oh wait, I actually did it with sprites and text. That's odd.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:12:20 PM by Silverwind »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »

I actually did add a rough healing item routine before I last halted work, but I've just revisited it now and I don't like the way it displays the heal amount via percentages. :P Far too textish, I'll go back and do it with sprites or something later.
why do you insist on torchoring yourself? its a great system but its laggy, to make a comparison: its laggier than v7 on my g5 and thats pushing 150 sprites every movement. the screen is so small and your struggleing just to show stats! why not just play around with sc and see what happens? it seems like a waste of time to keep working with gm when theres better tools available
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:10:05 PM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »
Yeah, I've got a relentless urge to finish something great in GM before moving on tough. I don't want the fruit of my labor to be a pile of unfinished projects, but a phenomenal game. I will move on eventually though.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2010, 08:59:01 PM »
well just remember without methods and arrays for dealing with enemies its gonna require alot more tedious WORK and production time which takes the fun out of makeing a game (which i assume is why you havent released anything in a while?). i dont see why not just make this "phenominal game" in sc, itll be even better and youll finish it sooner with less aggrivation, your gm skills wont go to waste, its virtually the same thing. thats my final point i wont harrass you about this anymore..... (come to the dark side young silverwind, you shall be my apprentice)

can gm even return fields? i use that for everything

you know how your struggleing to display stats with all these sprites and print commands, let me give you a little taste

to display stats:

drawstring stats$, 10,10, "chicago", 18

there you go, one line, feel free to use my code sample, but make sure you give me credit ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:03:46 PM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2010, 05:59:34 AM »
well just remember without methods and arrays for dealing with enemies its gonna require alot more tedious WORK and production time which takes the fun out of makeing a game (which i assume is why you havent released anything in a while?).
That's certainly a contributing factor, but it's mainly due to my family going through a rough time at the moment, resulting in less hours to devote to programming. I've got stacks of notes and ideas for Elanthondréoth though, and it really will be a great game once I get back to it. :)

i wont harrass you about this anymore..... (come to the dark side young silverwind, you shall be my apprentice)
lol! ;D I take your harassment in good humour. I'm really impressed with SC and definitely will check it out, although you'll have to teach me the syntax.

can gm even return fields? i use that for everything
Only on certain built in methods/commands such as dialogue prompts and whatnot.

you know how your struggleing to display stats with all these sprites and print commands, let me give you a little taste

to display stats:

drawstring stats$, 10,10, "chicago", 18
Nice! Does it flatten the text on the same layer as the background image or is it editable?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 06:00:26 AM by Silverwind »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2010, 09:39:58 PM »
Only on certain built in methods/commands such as dialogue prompts and whatnot.
how do you survive without nthfield$

Nice! Does it flatten the text on the same layer as the background image or is it editable?
paint events update automatically every time the screen is updated so all you do is let hp=hp-damage and bam, there it is
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:41:17 PM by EqwanoX »