Topic:   G5 Kernel Panics   (Read 2557 times)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
G5 Kernel Panics
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »
I've been having a lot of kernel panics lately on my Power Mac G5. I just now had one while playing Halo Demo. They seem to be random, but they always include the following line:

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: update

I just reinstalled Leopard a few months ago. I can't find the Apple Hardware Test disc, or I would run it. I'm wondering if the CPU or Logic Board are failing, or maybe the hard drive is acting up again. (I had major corruption a few months ago that forced a reinstall, but I lost no data thanks to Time Machine)

If anyone has a Power Mac G5 (not an iMac G5) and could image the hardware test, that would be great.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:51:23 PM by Mike_Richardson »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
Re: G5 Kernel Panics
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:47:10 AM »
I just had another kernel panic when loading Mail.app.

This time, for some reason, no error came up after reboot and there's no panic log.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:28:21 AM »
It's bad RAM.

The G5 has two pairs of 1 GB DIMMs, for a total of 4 GB. One of the pairs is a semi-name brand, and the other one is super generic.

Memory test fails whenever I have the super generic DIMMs installed, so at least one of them is bad.

This has been going on since at least May, and maybe even before that. The faulty RAM probably caused my hard drive corruption.

I was hoping for a bad motherboard, so I could go out and buy a Mac Pro, but alas  :'(

As of August 8th, I will have used the same Mac for 6 years.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:30:53 AM by Mike_Richardson »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 09:16:05 PM »
woah! you might beat my record, although my imac was only 450mhz, yours is dual 1.8ghz which isnt really outdated, how much did that cost you 5000$? but i think al used the same type of imac i had for even longer

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 09:42:10 PM »
woah! you might beat my record, although my imac was only 450mhz, yours is dual 1.8ghz which isnt really outdated, how much did that cost you 5000$? but i think al used the same type of imac i had for even longer

Al used his iMac for 8 years, I believe it was from 2001-2009. My mom used a Power Mac 6500 for 7 years, 1997 - 2004, but I did install a G3 upgrade in 2003 to speed it up. She got my iMac G4 when I got the G5. She used the iMac G4 until 2009 when I got her an iMac G5 from the recycler. So generally, a Mac gets about 7 years of use between me and my Mom (the Performa 400 only got 3 years of main use, because it was so slow. I still have it though)

This G5 only cost $2000, it was the cheapest model. There's actually a funny story that goes along with it - originally I was going to get a refurb from Apple's site, but when I ordered the refurb it said 3-4 weeks to ship. That was too long, so we went to CompUSA the same day to buy a new one. 2 days later FedEx delivered a refurb G5 to the house. So much for 3 weeks. Had to send it back and everything, but for a couple of days I had two dual G5s.

The G5's been upgraded a ton also. Originally it had 256 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, and a 64 MB Nvidia card. Now it has 3 GB (pending 4 GB when I get some working sticks), 2 x 250 GB HD, and a 128 MB ATI card with custom cooling fan so I can overclock. I figure I can get at least another year out of the G5 until 10.7 comes out and people start making Intel only software (most developers support 2 OS versions, which means they still support 10.5 and PPC).

Once I do get a new Mac at home I'll probably bring the G5 to the office and use it there. Right now all I have there is an eMac 1.42 GHz so it'll be a nice upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:45:28 PM by Mike_Richardson »