Topic:   GmOnline   (Read 16922 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: GmOnline
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 05:25:36 PM »
Well I took a look at your chat system Silverwind and it works. But I noticed a few problems:
1. Your MMORPG is gonna have only 10 people
My MMORPG? I'm not making an MMORPG. Who said I was making an MMORPG? Am I making an MMORPG? If so I wish I'd been informed sooner.

Hehehe... seriously though, this was merely a concept to demonstrate how a simple online game could work. It wasn't the engine for an MMORPG or anything. Mist was the one making the magic for LW if that's what you're referring to, and he used an entirely different method I believe.

1 fix: you make it so your sprite is designated by how many people are on the card if you are sprite 11 it sends you back to where you were.
how: you make your sprite designation a variable.
I didn't need to do that for my example, but yes, that's a clever way to handle it. Can you think of a way to have only 1 client app rather than a variant for each set of player property vars that need changing? That's what stumped me when I was working on the engine.

2. You are not using the V6 engine.
Nah, V5 was the version back then.

2 fix: You make your maps stored in a string variable.
how: You make it so that when you move it checks your certain letter/number and if it designates that letter as a wall you don't move there.
Well obviously I know how V6 works. I wrote it. ::)
I survived the spammage of 2007

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »
lol
Can you think of a way to have only 1 client app rather than a variant for each set of player property vars that need changing? That's what stumped me when I was working on the engine.
WHAT?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 06:58:39 PM »
In my mmorpg system, all you need to have is the ports open and the server running.

10 people can connect and play on that server with the same client. I made the client change variables depending on the status of the server. So it works seamlessly. Also, I can raise the player limit from 10 people to 100 people easily.

-Gandolf

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 07:56:15 PM »
How can you do 100 if you can't have more than 50.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 09:22:56 PM »
Simple. I just have to make one Main Control server that have 10 sub servers connected to it on the same computer. 10 people connect to each sub server and the sub servers send all their data to the main server and the main server sends the data back, and Voila! 100 people are able to connect.

Just gotta use your noodle.

-Gandolf

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »
So you aren't able to see them.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 11:05:23 PM »
See whom?

If your talking about 100 players being able to see each other, they will be.

All the sub servers are routed through the main server so each server gets the same data as the other server. Meaning all 100 players will be able to see each other.

It acts just like a mini version of the internet. The internet has branches that turn into more branches and everyone can connect with each other. The server system is the same way.

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »
I think he means, you have 100 players, max of 50 sprites, 50 people aren't shown.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 11:19:04 PM »
I think he means, you have 100 players, max of 50 sprites, 50 people aren't shown.
exactly

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:20:04 PM by Tireas_Dragon »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 04:05:50 AM »
10 people can connect and play on that server with the same client. I made the client change variables depending on the status of the server. So it works seamlessly.
WOW! Any chance of seeing a fragment of the code? It had me pulling hair when I was working on MF Online. ::)

And if it's in GM, (which I thought is was, as there's been frequent references to it and the topic is called Re: GMOnline) there's only a 20 sprite maximum. And that would leave hardly any room for extra sprites as well.

Still, it all sounds good to me. Gan's actually making progress at like 50 times the rate LW's logic progressed at. Personally I think 20 players at a time would be massive for a GM game, and realistically I doubt you'd get that many online very often.

Can I have something clarified though: Is GM gonna be used at all?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 08:29:54 AM »
WOW! Any chance of seeing a fragment of the code? It had me pulling hair when I was working on MF Online.  

That code is in Sc, but it can be converted over. Here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?nd941ijznis

Can I have something clarified though: Is GM gonna be used at all?

Yes, I just use Sc to send the data back and forth across the network. Gm processes it, sends data back, receives and is what the player plays on.

-Gandolf

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »
Well it works, if you go into the code and insert the IP address of someone who's hosting. Although why does the man move 2 times and off the edge of the map?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
Looks very confusing to me, but what I understand of it I like, hehe...

So, what's the next step in development?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 12:27:52 PM »
Although why does the man move 2 times and off the edge of the map?

That's a bug in Sc v1.6's compiling system.

Looks very confusing to me, but what I understand of it I like, hehe...

It mainly looks confusing because, I had to use the Nthfield command to put all the variables in one variable so I could just send that one large variable across the network. It makes data transfer WAY faster and more reliable then having many small variables being send every few miliseconds.

So, what's the next step in development?

Well, the next step for making a online gm game is for me to re-write the Sc server/client to just send a text file in the same folder as it back and forth. Which should be very easy.

Then I will program a Gm game to write the text file in the Sc client folder, pick up the info from the folder that the client received, process the info, re-write new info and repeat.

Nice and easy process. With the Sc client sending data back and forth and having the player play on the Gm client, it should greatly improve game performance and speed.

Though I am great at programming in Sc, I might need a little help with the Gm programming, but I have too much on my plate right now, with making a tnt game, then also making Emerin, helping people out with learning tnt, and everything. It might take a while for me to get around to re-writing the client/server.

-Gandolf

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »
Yet, if the player is playing on the GM part, 20 sprites will not do.