Topic:   Very Important: New SC Universal Build   (Read 13404 times)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
Re: Very Important: New SC Universal Build
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 07:25:49 PM »
If I send you a hundred bucks will we get a free PC version? I'm completely serious!

A Windows Runtime, or a Windows IDE (complete port of SilverCreator to Windows)?

A Windows Runtime is fairly easy to do because every so often, I have brought the runtime code up to date to run on Windows. So it would only take me maybe 5 hours of work I think, to get a pretty good Windows Runtime. This would let you compile into Windows EXE games. If you donated $100 I would buy the REALbasic upgrade and make the runtime for free.

A Windows IDE (actual SilverCreator program) would be very difficult. The IDE is very deeply a Mac program, it is still using Resource Forks for example. I would not even attempt this until v2.0 was released and some bug fix releases came out too, so basically not until v2.1 - and then it would probably be the only main feature of v2.1 because of all the work involved!

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 07:31:55 PM »
:D This is so awesome. With drawing an image directly to the screen, I can have an infinite(Or near) amount of sprites. To bump up performance of possibly having this as a replacement for sprites, you'd probably need an image variable where you can store images in ram without having to constantly get the same image from the hard drive each time it is viewed.

-Gandolf

It should not be used as a replacement of sprites. If you really need more sprites all I have to do is change a few variables and I can increase the max onscreen sprites. If that's all you need just let me know and I will double the sprites.

What this is perfect for is - replacing little piss sprites, that were just a square or whatever anyway, or write dynamic text on screen like a heads up display. The plan is that you will be able to bundle fonts with the compiled game somehow (probably have to manually edit the bundle) so you can use custom fonts for a HUD.

Theoretically you could write an entire game using just paint if you wanted! I will be adding a DRAWSCREEN command or something like that which you can use in a TIMER to constantly draw the screen.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 08:11:01 PM »

A Windows Runtime, or a Windows IDE (complete port of SilverCreator to Windows)?

A Windows Runtime is fairly easy to do because every so often, I have brought the runtime code up to date to run on Windows. So it would only take me maybe 5 hours of work I think, to get a pretty good Windows Runtime. This would let you compile into Windows EXE games. If you donated $100 I would buy the REALbasic upgrade and make the runtime for free.

A Windows IDE (actual SilverCreator program) would be very difficult. The IDE is very deeply a Mac program, it is still using Resource Forks for example. I would not even attempt this until v2.0 was released and some bug fix releases came out too, so basically not until v2.1 - and then it would probably be the only main feature of v2.1 because of all the work involved!

I PMed you about this on the Plaza.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 08:46:53 AM »
Windows Runtime requires only a small amount of work to bring up to par. Here is a screenshot taken today after just 30 minutes of work:

http://www.silvercreator.net/images/Win32.PNG

The actual game part runs just fine. One small tweak is needed to get the entire screen covered up, and then support has to be added for hiding the title bar on Windows, and then some extensive testing. The largest obstacle is the price of the upgrade for REALbasic.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:48:09 AM by Mike_Richardson »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 01:54:32 AM »

REALbasic-style Auto Complete for scripting commands.

Are you excited yet??
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:54:45 AM by Mike_Richardson »

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 05:36:34 AM »
This is awesome.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd