Topic:   Tides of Fáden (out of production)   (Read 50067 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Tides of Fáden (in production)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 05:23:23 PM »
I'd still be low on space though. There's just too many things in the game for a single routine to hold. NPC data alone would be very space consuming, but all the misc stuff activated by Examining would fill allot of space as well.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »
It might be easier if you make it so that its multiplayer so it is played on 2 different computers like 1 player plays player1 in a certain app and another plays player2 in a certain app and the apps share information via FILEO write/read and 1 computer plays the game off of the other computer. Like using administrative access to play on other comp. Hmm Maybe thats a bit too complicated, but hey its an idea tho
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 08:19:09 AM »
I would love to play this game. Can you play it with one player? Or just move both characters if you play alone? (Second question is stupid because you did it in the movie xD)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:19:35 AM by Teruri »
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 04:18:25 PM »
Yep, you can choose to play with either 1 or 2 players. :)

I came up with a brilliant idea this morning that'll solve the space problem. Basically, the problem is that I want keydown code to be stored on a single card like the timer code, as it would make changes significantly faster to implement. The problem however, is that I can't store all the keydown activated routines that will be activated throughout the game within 500 lines of code. (the max size of a routine) So, how can I make it happen? The answer: Mini Methods!

Basically, instead of putting the code for examining objects, talking to NPCs, reading signposts and other such actions within the keydown routine, I'll set the value of a "method" variable and reload the current navigation card. The navigation card will have all the usual code involving sprite drawing and gridlayout$ settings, but it will also have routines that are only executed when the "method" variable equals a specific value. For example, I might have code like this in the card script:

Code: [Select]
PICT CurrentCard
gridlayout$ = "0001110100111011010blahblahblah..."
area$ = "surface"
northcard = CurrentCard - 6
southcard = CurrentCard + 6
westcard = CurrentCard - 1
eastcard = CurrentCard + 1

IF method$ = "Speak to NPC" THEN
  method$ = ""
'    code here.
END IF

IF method$ = "Examine Signpost" THEN
  method$ = ""
'    code here.
END IF

So it's kinda like mini methods. The best part is that using this system I'll be able to execute up to 1,500 lines at a time, and once the update comes out it'll be 2,250! I'll never be stuck for space AGAIN!!! ;D

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
Silverwind,
I'm sending you a new 3.9.92 beta with 750 lines of script maximum. It sounds like you're nearing the 500 limit, so let me know if this works for you.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 04:21:50 PM »
Thanks Al, I'll test it out right away. :)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
Whoa. I'm not sure I quite understand the mini methods...

So, you load another card that holds the methods and...  ...I have no idea.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »
Basically, depending on what method$ equals when a card is loaded, different code is executed. So when the Examine button is pressed for example, the keydown routine detects it and makes method$ equal "Examine". Then the line "GOTOCARD CurrentCard" is executed, which executes the current card's Card Script again. The card script contains IF THEN conditions involving the value of the method$ variable.

Simple, yet genius. Fat free too.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:49:14 PM by Silverwind »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 05:21:01 PM »
You're a freaking genius... :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:21:29 PM by WarHampster »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 02:12:28 AM »
Thank you. :)

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 09:49:44 AM »
Well this is how I do it. I have it so every time you move, it sets change to = 1 then I have on the code on the other card to say that if change = 1 then go check your position and if your position is the special square, activate code.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:51:16 AM by Tireas_Dragon »
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2008, 11:27:04 AM »
Ok, I've made a bit more progress chopping and changing code. Now it's much cleaner and I've reduced the total LoC by a satisfactory amount. Nothing much has been done on the mapping, but meh. Meh!

Also, I started yet another "simple" game whilst away from my computer yesterday, and this one will be kept simple. I'll probably release it tomorrow, as it's nearly done already. It's just a simple maze game.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 11:28:08 AM by Silverwind »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
Silverwind stop being intimidated by Tides of Fáden. If this continues you will never finish it.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 03:33:40 AM »
Well, I'm back in production. I've nearly got the first beta ready but I wanna test rigorously for bugs before releasing it. It's basically just a working battle engine and the first island to explore.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 09:39:46 AM »
I still want to at least complete a small area in Rokeno but right now Rokeno is still a long way from first beta release. I still have to fix the battle engine although it would help if Al finishes GM 3992. (My beta version has a few bugs)