Topic:   Today at Cupertino, murder!   (Read 5949 times)

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
Today at Cupertino, murder!
« on: October 20, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »
http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/lion/

They're about to destroy OS X by turning it into an iPhone. Coming summer 2011.

I don't like the "App Store" program, and why does iMovie cost $14.99? Seriously worrying... perhaps all Mac applications will have to go through the App Store.

Destroying your favourite OS? There's an app for thatâ„¢. I'm only glad that they've dropped PPC support, I get to miss all the carnage.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Today at Cupertino, murder!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »
They aren't turning it into an iPhone, they're taking some technologies and making the Mac better.

A Mac App Store is a brilliant idea. Fantastic way to have a variety of apps at a user's fingertips. Seriously it's probably going to be the main feature that will cause a Mac to rise above all other platforms. (Until they start copying)
Of course you'll still be able to get apps the old fashioned way by downloading.

This is another large step, just like the switch from OS 9 to OS 10. I'm thinking with all the experience they've gained from the iOS platform, they can make it seamless and perfect.
This could be a computer revolution.

-Gan
P.S. The only thing I find disturbing is the latest iTunes layout. Hideous.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »
Ahhh get me out of here.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 05:45:36 PM »
They aren't turning it into an iPhone, they're taking some technologies and making the Mac better.
If bettering the Mac platform means turning it into some horrible sludge to make it more appealing to people who can't type in full sentences and still use MySpace and to get those people to part with £800~ of their money then yes, it's massively better.

A Mac App Store is a brilliant idea.
It's a brilliant idea for Apple who can impose a commission fee to sell applications, yeah - as well as charging people to put their apps on the store in the first place. Yes sir, the free and open source community are going to love that, so will Versiontracker and MacUpdate, who will probably just go out of business.

Of course you'll still be able to get apps the old fashioned way by downloading.
Wishful thinking? If you can't get applications the old fashioned way on the iPad or the iPhone, what makes you think they won't apply the same policy to 10.7? Afterall, it means they get to route all of the applications through the App Store.

Wait, did I just hear a kerching?

Yes, it is a big change. It is not comparable to the 9/X transition, however. It's the same OS under the hood, just with a different interface with lots of little buttons that extract money from your bank account. It's just a shame that their new totally-closed direction makes me sick instead of making me want to pull out my wallet and spend lots of money. I could get the same stability with Linux and there's more than likely an Aqua clone that can sit on top of it on a decent x86 box instead of buying a new Intel Mac to run 10.7 with. Sure, could use my Intel box right here, but I don't want to ruin it.

This could be a computer revolution.
Sorry to do this :(

[size=32]IT IS A PRODUCT

IT IS NOT A POLITICAL MOVEMENT
[/size]

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 05:45:46 PM »
Other than the mac store app, I can't say any of the other features overly appeal to me. I've only just heard of it though.
I survived the spammage of 2007

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »
All the new features of Lion just sound like UI gloss, which I am generally indifferent to. I doubt that Apple would turn the mac into a totally closed and controlled platform like their mobile devices. I mean, it's a computer... and while iPad like things may eat up the netbook market there will always be a market for fully functional machines.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
Is there? They sell more iPods, iPhones and iPads than they do Macintosh computers. Everything that iOS business plan touches turns to sold, I wouldn't be surprised if they applied that policy to the Mac simply because it means their share price goes up. That's hip, right?

Not.

and what of RB developers? It's kind of neat to make applications very quickly to perform repetitive and dull tasks. Only yesterday I made an application in ten minutes that asks me what lesson I'm in and then spits out an RTF document that is titled, dated and named; ready to be typed into. That sort of small and casual development could go out of the window if they make 10.7 with no transition between user and developer.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:03:56 PM by Telstar5 »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
Am I the only one who has trouble staying on the mac bandwagon?

I mean, I love the computers, and how they stay great much longer then PCs, but if i can't stay "on top" of the curve for more then a year, whats the point?

I don't recall ever using any of the "new" software that came with Leopard.

The thing is, I'm a gamer, and thats the most painful thing for me. I want to play games. Making movies is nice, garage band is nice, SC and GM are great. And my mac helps me to develop things in a very friendly enviroment. But if I see a game that knocks my socks off, it pains me to watch by, not being able to play it.

But other then those two things (Longevity/reliablity and Friendly OS that has a lot of creative software) macs fail to impress me.

I will say this. The Mac App store is great, why? Well since the iphone app store opened to other languages, I see no reason why the Mac one would do the same. Think about it, we may be able to get SC games in this.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:04:28 PM by Gnome_Again »
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 06:07:50 PM »
You aren't the only one. I still think the Mac App Store is... unethical rather than bad, it still means Apple can choose what applications are actually allowed to be used by the user. If I want to download clandestine software to help me make nuclear or biological weapons, I'LL DOWNLOAD CLANDESTINE SOFTWARE TO HELP ME MAKE NUCLEAR OR BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS. I don't need no poo-poo pants Apple employee to tell me what I can and cannot use.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 06:11:59 PM »
Only yesterday I made an application in ten minutes that asks me what lesson I'm in and then spits out an RTF document that is titled, dated and named; ready to be typed into. That sort of small and casual development could go out of the window if they make 10.7 with no transition between user and developer.

Wait how? Its not like RB would suddenly become illegal or something.

Anyway, personally I am unaffected by this, but it will be nice for casual obj-c devs (Gandolf).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:15:42 PM by WarHampster »

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 06:14:43 PM »
Wait how? Its not like RB would suddenly become illegal or something.
Well, if we have to install applications via the Mac App Store (like on the iOS platform), then they may not approve RB (could be used to make viruses and users could compromise their systems if they don't know how to use it properly oh no etc.), thus it will be unsupported or refuse to run if the Mac was jailbroken (so would any applications made in RB).

Wait, SC is made in RB. :|

Wow, never thought I'd use "jailbroken" and "Mac" in the same sentence.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:16:32 PM by Telstar5 »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 06:16:23 PM »
Eh... you do realize that you'll still be able to download and use apps the regular way?

Seriously, the Mac App Store and Launch Pad are just applications meant to make app finding and downloading faster and more convenient. You don't have to use them.

-Gan

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 06:16:30 PM »
Well, if we have to install applications via the Mac App Store (like on the iOS platform)

Ok, but I can not see that happening.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 06:18:07 PM »
Eh... you do realize that you'll still be able to download and use apps the regular way?

Seriously, the Mac App Store and Launch Pad are just applications meant to make app finding and downloading faster and more convenient. You don't have to use them.

We don't know that yet. There's another year to go before it is released and they could change that from now until then.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 06:24:47 PM »
Wait Tel, I think you're confused about the Mac Store. It's just an additional way to download apps; you'll still be able to browse the Internet as normal and download apps like we do now.

Edit:

Wow, three responses whilst I was typing my post! These I phones aren't made for heavy typing...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:28:40 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007