Topic:   Orbi - a new game in the making   (Read 14645 times)

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
Orbi - a new game in the making
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:44:43 AM »
And this time I'll finish it (but I can't guarantee this)...

Orbi
Orbi means world in Latin, and it suits this game perfectly. This game is all about the world it is played in, a world so different from any other even I can't tell you about it. It's true! This game takes places in a randomly generated world.
After two days of hard work I got it to work, a random world generator. It isn't perfect, but I'm not done yet. Sometimes the outcomes are just plain stupid, but there is no playability check yet.

Anyway, all I have done so far is the random world generator, and I'm so excited about it.

Here is a map I just generated (after a few tries, I have to admit, because some maps are rubbish)

(yeah, the trees are bigger than the towns...)

Like I said, there are a few (minor) bugs, but nothing that isn't fixable. I just have to spend some more time on creating the paths between cities and adding a playability check. However, the best playability check is still the player, so I'll add an option to regenerate a map if you don't like the outcome.
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Orbi - a new game in the making
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:51:07 AM »
WOW! That's totally impressive! :D How are you generating the maps?

Love the graphics btw. :)
I survived the spammage of 2007

Teruri

• GMG-er

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:08:14 AM »
Thank you, sir. :)

Generating the maps is a process with lots of randomness involved. I'll try to explain it as good as posible... (wich isn't that good)

First are the towns. There can be 3, 4, 5 or 6 towns. 4 is the most common, 6 the least.
After the amount of towns is decided, we have to give them a location. This is done by splitting the map in 6 sections, putting those in an array wich is than shuffled. The first x (x being the amount of towns) areas in that array contain a town.
Than we decide the exact location of the town. This isn't too hard.

Than are what I call crossroads, although they aren't exactly crossroads. They are more open squares that at least one path leads to.
Anyway, each area without a town now gets a crossroad. Their location is generated in the same way as those of towns.

Than are the paths. This is where the most bugs happen. My path creator isn't that good, but I made it in less than an hour.
Paths are made from and to the special tiles (towns and crossroads) and are marked as path.

And finally it's time to convert the map. Some tiles are now marked as path or crossroad, those are now converted to normal grass tiles while all other grass tiles are now marked as tree tiles. And than the last step is to draw alle tiles on the screen.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:53:55 AM »
I made a random map generator once. The way I made paths was by having a nice array of choices for each section, then I forced the sections to connect.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:06:20 AM »
So you're using binary space partitioning? Nice, I love procedural generation. PM me if you need help, I've done a ton of research on different ways of doing this.

So what will you even do in this game?

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
That looks really cool Teruri!  I've put some thought into doing random map generation but never actually tried my hand at it.  I assume this will be some sort of RPG?  It would be cool if the towns were randomly generated as well.   ;D

Teruri

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:13:03 AM »
Thanks everybody ^^
The generator is coming along nicely. The progress is slow, but it's coming there.

What the game is about:
The game is all about the world it is played in. Your world and town. You have your own town. You'll have to build up your town, use resources like wood and stone to upgrade your town to a city.
But other towns may not like you. They may want to attack you or even start a full on war. Are you the bringer of peace or do you rule all other towns?

None of this is actually in the game yet, as it's just the world generator as of now.

Teruri

• GMG-er

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 09:50:41 AM »
Hi guys, back again with an update.

I've found the cause of the bugs I was experiencing. I'll try to explain it;
When creating the paths I keep track of the x and y coordinates of the towns and crossroads. These are the start x/y and target x/y.
A basic check if the start and target x/y are the same should guarantee the path leads from and to the right squares, right? Well it does, but not if you compare the start x to target y and start y to target y. A small typo that caused quite a lot of problems.

I've made a short vid showing you the map generating process:
http://screencast.com/t/NTk5YTU5M

The darker yellow squares are the crossroads and the lighter yellow squares are the paths. This won't be in the final game, it's just there for showcasing purposes.
You can see i've added some resources. Wood (trees), stone, bronze, silver and gold can be obtained by cutting down trees or mining stones.

And I would like you guys to help me out with town names and names of their landlords. Just suggest some cool names and I'll most likely include them in the game. :)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 04:46:23 PM »
Wow, that video is awesome and I'm very much intrigued by the crossroads idea. What are the chances of seeing the source? (not that I reckon I'd comprehend any of it ;D)

Also, I vote those graphics to be the best in the world! Love the towns especially.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:46:52 PM by Silverwind »

Teruri

• GMG-er

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
The game is coming along quite nicely.

Here is a new screen. You can see I've done some more tiles (new trees and lakes) and now town names will appear above the respective towns.

Compare this screen with the one in the first post and you'll see the progress I've made.

This may actually be the first game I'll finish =D

Oh, and remember you can still post town and landlord names.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:19:42 PM »
Still looks awesome, and I still have no idea what the gameplay will be :P

Also, the shading on the trees and towns is inconsistent.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:43:48 PM by WarHampster »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
nice work, i made a system that generates random maps but it doesnt integrate pathways. how did you do it?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 10:31:06 AM »
So do you gather resources to build stuff?

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 02:12:26 PM »
of course, if we all shared sourses more often i think there would be more activity. why should we figure out how to make paths in randomly generated maps when its already done.

randomly generated mapping is a great feature, it provides a new experience every time you play, i especially noticed this when beta testing stranded forest, its not nearly as tedious. but after makeing that i dont have the patients to figure out pathways

this reminds me i should release an update to v7, stranded forest really helped me refine the capabilities of v7
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:16:39 PM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 02:37:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm really trying to push learning from source code with the Roguesoft RPG Engine. Even if people don't use it as a whole, it's a mine of interesting routines!