Topic:   Laptop died   (Read 12381 times)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
Re: Laptop died
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 05:08:42 PM »
yea, it might have gotten damaged in shipping. or that might have been why it was so cheap, its probly best to buy the second cheapest instead of THE cheapest

Return it for a refund.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
Well it turned out that my HD is totally busted. Will probably end up getting a pro or something.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 03:40:12 PM »
Well it turned out that my HD is totally busted. Will probably end up getting a pro or something.

You can get a replacement laptop drive for less than $100 and install it yourself.

If you still want a new laptop, I'll buy your old one.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 10:59:24 PM »
I know that I could get a new drive, but the machine is getting a bit old and slow for me.

When I get home I'll gladly sell it to you :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:59:38 PM by WarHampster »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 03:43:50 AM »
I know that I could get a new drive, but the machine is getting a bit old and slow for me.

When I get home I'll gladly sell it to you :)

You mentioned having 2 GB of RAM and that it was hitting swap - if it's a Core 2 Duo you can take it up to 3 GB of RAM for an instant speed boost.

You probably had an 80 GB, 5400 rpm drive. A new 500 GB, 7200 rpm drive would be twice as fast.

Anyway, just some suggestions. I'll gladly buy it and fix it up, my customers love it when I get any Intel products in the store. I'm out of town this week, so let me know next week. You can take out the dead hard drive, or leave it in and I'll make sure it gets demagnetized and recycled. (we have a huge demagnetizer that we can run over dead hard drives - it kills any data left on there), then we recycle the drive.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 10:54:41 AM »
ive been looking for an old mac, i think i found one, check this out, original price was nearly $5000!!!! ill get it depending on how much this asshole wants for it

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/sys/1838341663.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:22:48 AM by EqwanoX »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 01:28:03 AM »
ive been looking for an old mac, i think i found one, check this out, original price was nearly $5000!!!! ill get it depending on how much this asshole wants for it

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/sys/1838341663.html

That's not a bad setup, I'd give him $20 for it. The 8500 case is a bitch to work with though, to add RAM you have to take out the entire motherboard.

I have tons of old Macs like that if you can't get one off craigslist.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 10:49:51 AM »
20$?! i already told him ide give him 60$!

i have a 7200 with a 200mhz 604, i loved that computer but i think the power supply is gone. what do you have? im looking for something fast but pre g3, or something i can drop the 604 card into
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:50:27 AM by EqwanoX »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 12:42:27 AM »
20$?! i already told him ide give him 60$!

i have a 7200 with a 200mhz 604, i loved that computer but i think the power supply is gone. what do you have? im looking for something fast but pre g3, or something i can drop the 604 card into

I have some power supplies that are compatible with 7200.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 09:06:06 PM »
i may want that, let me hook up the 7200 and double check. would you trade? i have a bunch of other old stuff i salvaged from old macs i had back in the day, i dont even know what some of the stuff is, i have tons of rare edo ram. and cards for video hook up.

i got the 8500, how the hell do i take it apart? i cant find ANY instructions on the internet. i managed to get the case off but i dont know where to go from there, i want to put in some vram i got from my 7200

another thing i was pissed about is i cant put 7.5 on it, the games i want to play arent comatible with 8.0

can i connect my mac classic to my 6300 thats running 7.5 through apple talk or something? theres NO way to transfer data from Gseries to pre g3 computers with the usb and scsi thing

are newer monitors compatible with old macs? i might buy one off craigslist, i have what seems to be an adaptor for a monitor but im not sure cuase i have no idea what newer monitor terminals look like
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:37:38 PM by EqwanoX »

j

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 10:08:31 AM »
are newer monitors compatible with old macs? i might buy one off craigslist, i have what seems to be an adaptor for a monitor but im not sure cuase i have no idea what newer monitor terminals look like
Depends on the Mac and the monitor. Current monitors tend to use a DVI connection, which you won't find on pre-G4 Macs. And some G4 models, in fact, only have ADC (a proprietary connection Apple used for a while).

Your best bet is with a VGA connection (either a monitor that uses it natively, or an adapter that converts the monitor to a VGA), but I'm not sure how far even that goes back on older Macs.

You should probably do a little more research from there, but there's your starting point.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:09:17 AM by Jadaco »